CydiaSubstrate comes to Android

Discussion in 'Android' started by SifJar, May 17, 2013.

1. SifJar
    OP

SifJar Not a pirate

Apr 4, 2009
    Well known iOS jailbreak dev Jay Freeman ("Saurik"), dev behind Cydia, has made his first release for Android. It's called "Cydia Substrate", and despite the inclusion of "Cydia" in the name, should not be confused with the iOS Cydia.

As you may be aware, on iOS Cydia is an unofficial app store, allowing the downloading and installing of unofficial apps on jailbroken phones. It also has functionality allowing the authors of these apps to receive payment for their work. None of that functionality is replicated on Android.

What is replicated is the functonality of "MobileSubstrate", a framework used by many, many iOS tweaks. This framework allows "hooking" into apps, as well as the OS itself, and altering the way code works. This allows changing both the functionality and aesthetics of any app or part of the OS, including closed source apps.

What this means for Android is that things that previously required phone & ROM specific mods (e.g. modded APKs, themes etc.) can be done in a more "universal" manner. Write the tweak once and it should work for all phones and ROMs with Substrate installed. In time, this could mean custom ROMs become much less necessary, as it becomes possible to just install all the tweaks you want without flashing a new ROM, much the way it is on iOS. (No one ever really bothers with custom iOS "ROMs" I don't think).

At the moment, the only "tweak" available is WinterBoard, another well known name from the iOS jailbreak world, which allows theming on ALL ROMs, as well as applying multiple themes (e.g. a full theme + an icon pack). However, in time more tweaks will become available. For example, chpwn (who has written a bunch of tweaks for iOS) has stated he is working on something.

At the moment, the Substrate seems to be having some teething problems (some people, such as myself, have been unable to install it, others have found their network signal stops working after installing), so if you're going to try it, make sure you have a nandroid backup first.

Note: Your phone/tablet must be rooted to install Substrate.

Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.saurik.substrate

yuyuyup and Rydian like this.
  2. AbdallahTerro

AbdallahTerro da KiNG

Jan 14, 2012
    Ideas factory :)
    can this be used for rooting without loosing the data

3. SifJar
    OP

SifJar Not a pirate

Apr 4, 2009
    No, you need to be already rooted to install it. I should maybe have mentioned that in the first post.

EDIT: But I think there are methods for rooting without losing data, you should only lose data when unlocking your bootloader, and I'm pretty sure there are methods for rooting with a locked bootloader.

4. 1NOOB

1NOOB GBAtemp Fan

Sep 9, 2006
    Canada
    Inside My Head...
    i like that guy . he just do awesome stuff like this xD , i mean im not an android fan because i dont like that not everything work with everything on android and he just made something like that , im sure this should lead too many use . a cydia like app on android that could work on any device let say after 4.0 could be useful .

5. AbdallahTerro

AbdallahTerro da KiNG

Jan 14, 2012
    Thanks for the answer, I really can't find something like this for my S Duos phone, it's very slow full of junky samsungs apps that I don't need and I can't uninstall

6. SifJar
    OP

SifJar Not a pirate

Apr 4, 2009
    A simple google search ("samsung s duos root") led me to this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=32522445&postcount=41 fairly simple root method, doesn't wipe your data.

7. AbdallahTerro

AbdallahTerro da KiNG

Jan 14, 2012
    you're the best Siffy :) will try this soon

8. AbdallahTerro

AbdallahTerro da KiNG

Jan 14, 2012
    @Sifjar
    Thanks a million buddy, everything worked like a charm
    I didn't even do a backup, superfast rooting :)

9. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    theres tons of different apps to remove bloatware on your phone but I recommend titanium backup

10. Flame

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    thanks sifjar, good to know. looks forward to future updates.

11. SifJar
    OP

SifJar Not a pirate

Apr 4, 2009
    Substrate was updated yesterday, the interface is slightly improved (taken on Holo design [i.e. Android 4.0+ style], rather than the old 2.X type design it previously had), and it now installs correctly for me, which it didn't before. Definite progress. Although I'm still unaware of any tweaks other than WinterBoard available right now.