Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
CycloDS iEvolution
Got It!
00_cyclods_ievo_review_header-placeholder.jpg

The review sample sent from team Cyclops has just been delivered. I have only managed to spend a short bit of time with the kit, and after a bit more testing a brief hands-on impression will be posted. The newly released v2.0 software features a Homebrew compatibly layer which allows DS compiled homebrew (regardless of the library) to reap the benefits of DSi-Mode. I have tested, and confirmed, at least 2 DSi ROMs as working. Many others have provided an error that certain DSi data is missing from the ROM, a problem currently believed to be related to the dumps.

Early impressions are that the kit is not that well built. Many reviewers and a few of my “insider” contacts have confirmed that their pre-release review kit has a few minor shell issues. Cyclops has assured all pre-release “testers” that they are attending to an off-center microSD slot issue and we hope that they will address any shell issues before the kit goes into mass production.

The Flash Kit ships without a bootstrap, making it the first "legal" DSi compatible Flash Kit on the market. The end users is responsible for obtaining two ROMs, one for DS-Mode and one for DSi-Mode. Speaking of the two modes, once the bootstrap has been properly written, the end-user can swap between modes on-the-fly pending a DSi reboot.

The possibilities of this Flash Kit are something to get excited about. What most users are curious about will be the improvements of DS software in DSi mode. I will be sure to do a full round of testing before the review is ready to be published. I expect to test DS ROMs, DSi ROMs, Homebrew in both modes, and any DSi exclusive Homebrew that I can fit in before the review is complete.

As for the review itself, real life has me very busy, but I am spending all of my free time attacking the iEVO. Expect something sooner rather than later but not my usual 7 day 140+ hours turn around time!

Please post any questions, comments, facts, tips, tricks, etc. I am still very much in the research phase of this review and I welcome help from our community.

Cheers,
-Another World

icon11.gif
 CycloDS iEVO Product Information

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
AW: would you be able to up a really quick video of the ievo booting into dsi mode?
only vids i've found on youtube so far are unboxing apart from one where he boots it in ds mode

Etalon

Former Akaio Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Macau
Thank you very much, Another World!

I think what might be interesting now: Pictures and videos of the GUI, and direct comparisons between iEvo/Akaio and iEvo/DS2. Loading speed, power consumption, etc.

I myself never wanted the DS2 because it uses more power than a normal card. What's with iEvo now?

Anyway, thanks a lot for your work.
blush.gif

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Etalon said:
Thank you very much, Another World!

I think what might be interesting now: Pictures and videos of the GUI, and direct comparisons between iEvo/Akaio and iEvo/DS2. Loading speed, power consumption, etc.

I myself never wanted the DS2 because it uses more power than a normal card. What's with iEvo now?

Anyway, thanks a lot for your work.
blush.gif

i have to test every file twice (ds mode/dsi mode). that alone is going to take up the most of my time. i won't compare it to any other kit, but i will be sure to discuss each menu option. after that you can all make up your own minds.

i'll see about some images of the GUI in a few minutes and a vid tomorrow (if i have time).

cheers,
-another world

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
here are a few quick images of the gui.

01_ievo_menu_images_for_news_post.jpg

02_ievo_menu_images_for_news_post.jpg

03_ievo_menu_images_for_news_post.jpg

04_ievo_menu_images_for_news_post.jpg

05_ievo_menu_images_for_news_post.jpg

06_ievo_menu_images_for_news_post.jpg

Official Features List said:
• The first and only device to operate in DSi mode, unlocking various DSi specific features such such as dual cameras, faster CPU speed, additional RAM, improved WiFi support and more
• Advanced DSi mode compatibility layer, allowing both standard NDS titles and older "DSi unaware" homebrew software to operate in DSi mode while enjoying the inherent performance advantages
• User friendly, skinnable, feature rich user interface supporting advanced features such as bookmarks, cheat codes and file management
• 100% game compatibility, supports clean ROM's
• RealTime Save, allowing you to save and restore the state of gameplay at any time
• Stealth Mode which enables the use of anti-tamper protected games
• In-game text reader, allowing you to view FAQ’s and guides at any time during gameplay
• Full NDS download play support, including problem games such as Mario Kart DS
• Wii connectivity in games such as Pokemon Diamond/Pearl is supported
• Homebrew soft reset, allowing you to reset back to the iEvolution GUI from almost any homebrew software with a simple button combination
• Battery saving function which allows you to enjoy your handheld for longer between charges
• Action Replay compatible cheat code engine, comes bundled with cheat codes for over 330 games!
• Uses MicroSD card, both FAT16 and FAT32 supported
• Supports the MicroSDHC specification, allowing for high capacity memory cards
• Save type is automatically detected, no need for a save type database
• Save directly to MicroSD rather than onboard flash
• Multi-lingual user interface
• Enhanced Mode" which provides powerful, unique features during game play. Enhanced features are activated through an in-game menu. Enhanced mode features include:
?RealTime Save which allows you to save and restore the state of gameplay at any time ?In-game text reader
?Adjust LCD brightness during game play
?SlowMotion mode which can be used to slow down game play to make fast paced action sequences easier to master
?Return to iEvolution Menu (aka soft reset)
• Excellent homebrew compatibility with DLDI auto-patching
• Autoboot mode which when activated will directly boot into the last ROM or homebrew application executed
• Moonshell included to provide media playing functionality, soft-reset is supported
• Gameboy Advance software support with GBA ROM auto-patching (NDS/DSLite only)
• PassMe function (boot from slot 2) (NDS/DSLite only)
• Supports rumble and memory expansions (NDS/DSLite only)

-another world

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
it says tht it supports rumble packs... i remember the ez 3 in 1 plus tht i am using was working well with the r4 but since i put the woodr4 firmware, the option on rudolphs app doesnt allow me to set the rumble nor does it allow me to use the expansion

and how fast are we talking about when using DSi power, do emus such as genesis become faster?

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Whilst you're testing the DS vs DSi modes, can you test sonic rush adventure?
Of all the flashcarts I've never had the intro sequence run full speed. It seems like a general issue and I'm wondering if DSi mode can finally alleviate that .

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
héhé, Kinda into the same boat as Another World,

iEvolution will take longer to review and that in a time with less time cause of real life stuff.
Everything needs to be tested 2x and i bet re-dumps of dsi games with missing dsi data will come
cause you can't play them in dsi mode on the ievolution.

I only tested Pokémon black and White English translated with patch and without patch, it locks up after the 1st or second time you try to save
We have to figure out/look-up what's extra in the games when in dsi mode (is there some sort of list?) to see if it really works.

This is gonna take me a few weeks to review.
1 plus point is that you can update your iEDGE bootstrap with the UFO delivered to flash the iEvolution with a bootstrap
smile.gif

No need to buy an extra device for that now
wink.gif

4d3f220ca5733-cyclodsi_12.jpg

johnchan

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DjoeN said:
I only tested Pokémon black and White English translated with patch and without patch, it locks up after the 1st or second time you try to save
We have to figure out/look-up what's extra in the games when in dsi mode (is there some sort of list?) to see if it really works.
Have you tested this again with the v2.0 firmware? according to the changelog they improved stability for dsi enhanced games.

GH0ST

Your Hero is a Ghost
Trophies
Website
www.neuronball.com
XP
Country
France
For those who missed it here is the demo from NightFox ( attached code in his post @ TC forums ) to test how much faster is the DS/iEVO in DSi mode. This demo just zoom x3 a 16 bits image in real time and filter half of it, soo it's very intensive cpu use. If you test it in both modes, you can see it runs smoothly and faster in DSi mode. Credits to Mbmax for the video.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
johnchan said:
DjoeN said:
Have you tested this again with the v2.0 firmware? according to the changelog they improved stability for dsi enhanced games.

Tested on 1st release firmware and on 2.0 firmware, same issue for both translated games.

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Lol i might need to get me one of these although I already own an AK2i and a SCDS2
tongue.gif

Awaiting on review to see if this is superior to the SCDS2 (man i hope they would release a DSi mode update too : / )

johnchan

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DjoeN said:
johnchan said:
DjoeN said:

Tested on 1st release firmware and on 2.0 firmware, same issue for both translated games.
Can you try it with clean roms, no translation patches applied? Thing is, the people doing the patches could not have tested in dsi mode, so its possible that their patches break the game in dsi mode but not normal mode.

rezen

Trophies
XP
Country
As always, thanks for your hard work. I'm sure we can wait for one of your thorough reviews but can I ask you one thing? Could you please test whether DSi games are region locked when played on another region's system? e.g. Pokemon Black/White JPN on a USA or EUR DSi.

Still praying for Korg DS-10+ to hit EUR but getting the USA version and this cart would be better than shelling out for an imported DSi on top!

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Etalon said:
Oh. Will "My Cooking Coach" be displayed in French on a European DSi?

Nice. Thanks a lot for all the images!
Yes, to use this card you need to pirate the French version of the game. (as well as some other random game for DS mode).

Anyway, what happens if you try to boot it in a regular DS when the DSi mode bootloader is the one in use? Will it boot normally, but running in DS mode instead of DSi mode? (I would assume so, as the Cooking Hack works on regular DS like that).

komak

Trophies
XP
Country
France
rezen said:
As always, thanks for your hard work. I'm sure we can wait for one of your thorough reviews but can I ask you one thing? Could you please test whether DSi games are region locked when played on another region's system? e.g. Pokemon Black/White JPN on a USA or EUR DSi.

Still praying for Korg DS-10+ to hit EUR but getting the USA version and this cart would be better than shelling out for an imported DSi on top!
+1

i have bought the ievo for that, hope it will work!!
korg ds+ will never be in europe dsi , i have try it with a real japanese cartridge, then resell it immediately..

if it work i will post here,for now i am waiting in my post box...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Murica