RELEASE CuteManga! - A Comic/Manga reader with cascade mode support.

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by darkxex, Oct 18, 2019.

1. darkxex
    OP

darkxex Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 13, 2016
    Chile
    Santiago
    [​IMG]
    CuteManga is a reader of (Manga / Comic / Webtoon).
    This is the first public version.

This application supports:​
    • Fit mode​
    • Cascade mode (with and without separation).​
    • Zoom​
    How to use it?
    Just create a folder called "CuteManga" at the root of your SD, and place your folders with images inside. If the folder contains Spanish language characters, or another language other than English, delete them or the application cannot read the pages.

Important:
    *since this application uses a lot of ram memory because the cascade mode preloads all the images. It is recommended to open this app with the R button on a game. NOT FROM THE ALBUM.
    *It may take a while to load a comic, but that is because it preloads all the images in order to support the cascade mode.
    ¡CuteManga is only an image viewer for your Nintendo Switch, so it's completely legal!
    https://github.com/darkxex/CuteManga/releases

2. OuahOuah

OuahOuah GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 2, 2006
    France
    France
    What is "cascade" mode ? Never saw it on comic reader on PC.

3. Asia81

Asia81 In my Ecchi World <3

Nov 15, 2014
    France
    Chika:creep:

4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Landscape mode only? :mellow:
    If you have it load the first few pages and then load the rest in the background on a separate thread, it would solve the load times while still allowing cascade mode. And if someone scrolls to a page that hasn't loaded yet, just have it display a blank image until it loads and put that image on the top of the list next to be loaded. This is how gallery apps on Android work (at least one of the most popular ones works this way, A+ Gallery) for displaying thumbnails, as well as some media players for displaying ID3 tags. If done correctly there should not be any lag/choppiness from the background loading.
    To avoid threading issues, maybe a linked list would be good? That way, moving something to the top of the list won't confuse the code causing it to skip the newly moved entry once it finishes the current one.
    Wondering that as well. I guess it allows seamless scrolling between pages but I'm still not exactly sure.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Oct 19, 2019
  5. darkxex
    OP

darkxex Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 13, 2016
    Chile
    Santiago
    Thanks for the tips, there is still a lot to do. Cascade mode is the way of reading down where the end of one page is linked to the other. It is famous in manwha, a type of Korean comic.

6. 345742D

345742D Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    Glad to finally see the switch get a comic reader. Does this happen to support .cbr or .cbz files?

7. masagrator

masagrator The developper

Oct 14, 2018
    Poland
    Can you write what formats it supports? There is nothing in this thread or readme in github.

8. darkxex
    OP

darkxex Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 13, 2016
    Chile
    Santiago
    Jpeg, jpg, png, bmp, webp.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Not yet, if you want to open a cbr, rename it to ".rar" and unzip it first. For now it only supports folders with images inside. For correct reading check that the images are listed in 3 digits. Example 001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg

9. Purple_Shyguy

Purple_Shyguy GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 8, 2008
    Republic of Ireland
    hey this works great! Ive been waiting for a comic reader!

Can i request being able to spin the screen into portrait mode?

10. darkxex
    OP

darkxex Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 13, 2016
    Chile
    Santiago
    yes friend, i am focusing on another switch app that is not legal, but in a few days I give it time to continue with this one.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted