Custom palette files?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by joesteve1914, Nov 1, 2016.

1. joesteve1914
    OP

joesteve1914 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 31, 2012
    United States
    So I'm trying to translate Tingle's Balloon Fight DS, a short game with very little text. All of the text in the game appears to be graphical. I found a lot of graphic files in the arm9.bin (all of them maybe.). There are three different files embedded in the arm9.bin, and each of their headers contain either "NCG", "NCL", or "NSC".
    I've extracted them, and NCG is the graphic. I think it's fair to assume NCL is the palette, and NSC is the map.
    Anyways, some of the textures in the game are fairly complex, which makes it near impossible to unscramble and edit without the correct palette.
    I tried to edit one of the NCG files without the palette (not easy :) ), and this happened -
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the palette, but even if it doesn't I still need to be able to extract the palette to have a realistic chance at translating this game. How would I go about extracting the palette into a .pal file or similar format? I've attached a sample of each file if anyone could take a look at it.
    Thank you in advance!

Attached Files:

2. rastsan

rastsan 8 baller, Death Wizard,

May 28, 2008
    Canada
    toronto
    that happens when you inadvertently replace colors in the graphic from the palette. so if using ct2 if you exported in one format (say 256 color bmp) then opened that in paint edited BUT failed to save in the exact same format then imported that image you would get that. so if using 256 color bmp stay using 256 color bmp. DO NOT USE ANY COLOR NOT ALREADY IN THE GRAPHIC. or use another app to dump a compatible palete file and import that over the old palete file and save them both.

joesteve1914 likes this.
  3. joesteve1914
    OP

joesteve1914 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 31, 2012
    United States
    Yeah I did this. Could it be an issue with me not having the right palette?

Edit - I can extract the palette now! I guess this thread can be closed now.

Old message -
    Also, is it possible to dump a palette with desmume? I see a palette viewer option but it doesn't appear to allow you to save it.

@jjjewel -
    Would you mind taking a look at this? You were able to help me with another games palette a while ago and it was a huge help :)

Last edited by joesteve1914, Nov 4, 2016
  4. rastsan

May 28, 2008
    Canada
    toronto
    NCL is the pallete file use tinke or ct2. tinke open as pallete then find the right offset. ct2 its more having the experience of knowing where pallete data starts and using the in hex view edit- data to pallete while positioning the cursor on the right spot in the the file.

5. rastsan

May 28, 2008
    Canada
    toronto
    Sorry - forgot to add then hitting the export button... in tinke or ct2...

joesteve1914 likes this.
  6. joesteve1914
    OP

joesteve1914 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 31, 2012
    United States
    Yeah, I've figured it out, thanks!
    The patch will probably be out really soon since it's such a small game.

7. JamesxGamer

JamesxGamer Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 16, 2015
    United States
    Hi amazing person How do u Custom palette files? I translate the strip but I can't translate the pictures of the game if u have a little free time can u help me and what tool do I needs thank u joesteve1914

8. rastsan

May 28, 2008
    Canada
    toronto
    tinke or ct2
    I forgot to add that you can also export pal files that ct2 can import from xnview (or other windows based freeware)
    tinke can also replace the pallete file but I warn against that just because you don't know if there are other images that also use that file.

Last edited by rastsan, Dec 29, 2016