Hacking Cult of the Lamb Save Decryptor

Quimbo

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
After reading all this trying to edit Nintendo Switch saves I figured it out by myself. Turns out saves are just gzip files with a single unencrypted JSON file in them. Probably needs a very specific way of compression or it won't work. The uncompressed JSON did not work and resulted in an endless loading screen for me.

Here's how to edit Switch saves:
  1. Download 7-zip
  2. Use JKSV to create a new dump for the game
  3. Transfer the "slot_x" file from the dump of the slot you want to edit to your PC
  4. Open the save using 7-zip
  5. Select the only entry in the file named "slot_x~" and hit F4 or choose edit from the file menu
  6. Notepad pops up (awfully unformatted)
  7. Make your edits
  8. Save Notepad
  9. 7-zip asks whether to update the archive, choose Yes
  10. Upload save back to Switch, replace "slot_x" in the dump dir and restore using JKSV
Do not decompress/edit/compress manually or it won't work. Haven't figured out how to compress back properly manually.

EDIT: I believe it's possible to set a better editor in the 7-zip options (e.g. N++) to edit the file.

Last edited by Quimbo,

JonJaded

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After reading all this trying to edit Nintendo Switch saves I figured it out by myself. Turns out saves are just gzip files with a single unencrypted JSON file in them. Probably needs a very specific way of compression or it won't work.

1. Download 7-zip
  3. Transfer the "slot_x" file from the dump of the slot you want to edit to your PC
  5. Select the only entry in the file named "slot_x~" and hit F4 or choose edit from the file menu
  7. Make your edits
  8. Save Notepad
  10. Upload save back to Switch, replace "slot_x" in the dump dir and restore using JKSV
Do not decompress/edit/compress manually or it won't work. Haven't figured out how to compress back properly manually.

Holy shit lets go! I'm actually interested, how did you work this out? Because this is how all the console editions "encrypt" their saves. (Sony, Nintendo [and I assume Xbox])

Quimbo

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Holy shit lets go! I'm actually interested, how did you work this out? Because this is how all the console editions "encrypt" their saves. (Sony, Nintendo [and I assume Xbox])
The 7-zip part was luck. I'm a software dev and many formats I deal with are secretly archives, so I just tried and 7-zip handles many formats pretty well. The app says says it's gzip but based on the file header, I'm not so sure. And I figured if I can't re-compress properly, I'll just let 7-zip update the archive.

JonJaded

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 7-zip part was luck. I'm a software dev and many formats I deal with are secretly archives, so I just tried and 7-zip handles many formats pretty well. The app says says it's gzip but based on the file header, I'm not so sure. And I figured if I can't re-compress properly, I'll just let 7-zip update the archive.
Appreciate the insight. With one line change I was able to port my PC save to switch, and JEEZ is it laggy on switch. Glad I didn't purchase it here.

2022090119371500-DDF47A0B95684AA8DBCAF343C2BB286D.jpg
2022090119375300-DDF47A0B95684AA8DBCAF343C2BB286D.jpg

Even the twitch specific skins are in the switch version of the game, only, their colors are off. Should be noted that I didn't play the game the same way a lot of other people did, I did a full twitch intergrated based gameplay, and to my suprise their names carried over. Just happy to see it working.

And to note the line change, when copying over your save data you just have to add
"VersionNumber":1,
inbetween the curly bracket and "AllowSaving":true, so it looks like this at the very beginning.

Code:
{"VersionNumber":1,"AllowSaving":true, ...

ViCiOuS-V

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You guys rock! I was able to transfer my PC save over to the PS4 version. The Twitch Skins work too but also have the same issue as the Switch where it is all white out. I also have this odd notification that won't go away, It literally says "This is a Notification. Faith". I will be testing this method of editing for consoles and see what breaks/doesn't.

Reactions: JonJaded

rafpoop

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
After reading all this trying to edit Nintendo Switch saves I figured it out by myself. Turns out saves are just gzip files with a single unencrypted JSON file in them. Probably needs a very specific way of compression or it won't work. The uncompressed JSON did not work and resulted in an endless loading screen for me.

1. Download 7-zip
  7. Make your edits
  8. Save Notepad

EDIT: I believe it's possible to set a better editor in the 7-zip options (e.g. N++) to edit the file.
I can't believe it's this easy to decrypt them wtf LOL that's hilarious

Dbile

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

1. Download 7-zip
  7. Make your edits
  8. Save Notepad

I tried to follow your steps to transfert my switch save to play on PC but I can't get it to work. What should I change inside the file to make it compatible ? Pc saves are shown as Json but switch version have no extension. When I add .json it doesn't work.

Can you help me ? :)

Wheels35

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried to follow your steps to transfert my switch save to play on PC but I can't get it to work. What should I change inside the file to make it compatible ? Pc saves are shown as Json but switch version have no extension. When I add .json it doesn't work.

Can you help me ? :)
Follow the same steps until step 5. Instead of opening the file inside the zip file, drag the file inside to your desktop/location of your choosing, and add .json to the end of it so it should look like slot_x.json and it should work for you then.

Last edited by Wheels35,
Reactions: rafpoop

BellaSarah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a quick question about the website; I tried to decompile my save file, but it didn't automatically download. is there a limit on size? I know my save is over 50kb

Wheels35

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a quick question about the website; I tried to decompile my save file, but it didn't automatically download. is there a limit on size? I know my save is over 50kb
nope, most of mine are way over that.
Are you sure it's already not decrypted?

Benciky

Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
Follow the same steps until step 5. Instead of opening the file inside the zip file, drag the file inside to your desktop/location of your choosing, and add .json to the end of it so it should look like slot_x.json and it should work for you then.
Thanks a lot!! Successfully transfered my save from the switch to the steam deck with this tutorial. Runs a lot smoother :O

Reactions: K255178K

bendy

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
hey I have bug where i cant get the second talisman piece with the witness eyes i gave the eye to the dude but the game crashed before i could get the talisman so i dont have he eye anymore and i didnt get the talisman

Last edited by bendy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqw6t28P9po