Gaming CSS/CPPM Protection

ganons

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So there is a Driving Theory test DVD and when trying to make image with imbgurn, it says it has CSS/CPPM Protection so it cant copy or it wont work. Is there a app that can bypass this? And then what is the best program to mount an image?

Thanks

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
CSS/CPPM is the protection applied to DVDs, imgburn should not have this (it does OK on some of the software protection methods though) as it was a fork of the increasingly good DVD burning side of DVD decrypter that lacked such abilities (DVD decrypter got shut down).

To this end you are going to want a DVD decrypting program, you could seek out DVD decrypter and it will work for the vast majority of DVDs but newer ones using methods like corrupt sector protection might pose an issue. To that end DVDfab (I believe the current extension of the free one is HD decrypter- http://www.free-codecs.com/download/DVDFab_Decrypter.htm and http://www.dvdfab.com/hd-decrypter.htm ) is probably the easiest to tell it to simply work.

ganons

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
CSS/CPPM is the protection applied to DVDs, imgburn should not have this (it does OK on some of the software protection methods though) as it was a fork of the increasingly good DVD burning side of DVD decrypter that lacked such abilities (DVD decrypter got shut down).

To this end you are going to want a DVD decrypting program, you could seek out DVD decrypter and it will work for the vast majority of DVDs but newer ones using methods like corrupt sector protection might pose an issue. To that end DVDfab (I believe the current extension of the free one is HD decrypter- http://www.free-code...b_Decrypter.htm and http://www.dvdfab.com/hd-decrypter.htm ) is probably the easiest to tell it to simply work.

Doesnt seem to work and seems to be for movies and not software :/

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
CSS is the thing that led to DeCSS and that whole saga and CSS along with CPPM form the basis for DVD protection.

It has been a while since I pulled one of these things apart and I am not sure where the one I trip over around here on occasion is right now but the one I last saw was a combination of a DVD* (with a basic fallback so you do something with a DVD player- not something I would bother winding CSS onto but not everybody does the logic thing that well) and a windows program for another part (a sloppily coded mini test affair better suited to the side of a cereal box but hey). The windows component did not really have any protection (it was about the first time the need for the paper component) so assuming that holds you might be able to copy the code, rip the DVD component and mash it back together to get something useful.

*if it has an AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders in there it is almost certainly a DVD.

I did also see one that was a DVD in the vein of a trivial pursuit DVD I once saw- hundreds of titles and even more links between parts with a measure of what passes for logic on a DVD but by the sounds of things you do not have this.

For what it is worth assuming you are not going for a HGV license and are not trying to cram for one not many people I have spoken to (even at the supposedly harder level it is at now) find these very useful compared to the online tests (mainly for the really oddball questions*), reading the highway code and if you are worried about the harzard perception youtube has some good ones.

*I was messing around with the motorbike one a few months back and it popped up with a GCSE level environmental question.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Ken they are worth it lol