1. notrea11y

OP notrea11y Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    While trying to replace a sound file inside "Mario Kart Deluxe" DS hack

(namely 193-Track193.SWAR swar file) I encountered this error here:

[​IMG]

I suppose it has something to do wtih soundbanks ?

227-Track227.SWAR could easily be replaced with what I chose...

Odd

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Don't use crystaltile2's audio editor/playback. Have its viewer tell you info if you want, or maybe the manual file extraction, but beyond that don't do it.

Grab vgmtrans, tinke or one of the other tools and use that instead, or go manual with a hex editor.

banjo2 likes this.
  3. notrea11y

OP notrea11y Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Hex Editor ? Mind elaborating ?

VGMTrans:
    Can that even be used for exact file replacement ?
    I only used it for extracting soundtracks in the past...

As for Tinke:
    I can view the .sdat's content, but exchanging ".swar" files as I want to is not something that seems to be doable (?).
    Replacing the entire .sdat ? Totally.

I'm starting to wonder whether my error is related to this:

[... ] Again, you cannot exceed the file size, otherwise an error will appear.
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-ultimate-nintendo-ds-rom-hacking-guide.291274/

(I'm in fact exceeding the file size by double with 44kb over the previous 16 ...)

PS:
    Is there any way to "create" .swar files manually ?
    So far I've only found ways to create SSEQ files etc.
    One would think this should be possible in 2020, especially as turning .swar -> .wav is no problem...

Last edited by notrea11y, Feb 26, 2020
  4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    VGMtrans, especially the fork love.emu made, is pretty good. Right click on the things down the bottom and replacement should be an option.

Not sure what we got for tinke in the end.

Either way I would still discourage using crystaltile2's audio editing options beyond simple extraction (no conversion) and displaying info.

For the most part any editing I have wanted to do I have done manually or with the tools mentioned above. Much of DS ROM hacking stalled out a while back and that was before robust tools capable of handling increased file sizes were made.

File size errors with oversized files being one of those problems, I would either make space at the end of the file and repoint accordingly or make space within the file and use that.

As for going manual then it is much as it sounds and you find where the size of the swar is noted in the main SDAT, whatever sizes are within the SWAR, find something to overwrite (often games have unused samples in them) and either put it at the end or change the location of everything that follows.

5. notrea11y

OP notrea11y Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    .emu sounds promising.

Thanks.

banjo2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Crystal, replace, error