Hacking Cross Region updates? E.g. US update on EUR rom?

Mikecrowfone

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As per the title.

Does US updates for a rom work on the EUR rom? For example if I downloaded MK7 update on a US console, can it be used with a EUR rom?

Reactions: Margen67

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
not that many european games have updates, the last time i checked a week or two ago it was just over 20, but the japanese eshop has more than 110 updates.
there are probably not many games that have updates that are released in all regions, mario kart has an update right, i have not tested to see if that update is also region free, but i'm not interested because i'm not so interested in it :)

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
ah yes, so it was eur/jap for pokemon, which is compatible, I knew there was something about the pokemon update, that I remembered, because it was unusual =)
but for many games it doesn`t work, maybe somone should make a list for this ^^

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
ah yes, so it was eur/jap for pokemon, which is compatible, I knew there was something about the pokemon update, that I remembered, because it was unusual =)
but for many games it doesn`t work, maybe somone should make a list for this ^^

well, i doubt it is just eur-jap that works, it most probably works across all regions, korean-usa etc etc :)

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Generally no. But there are some rare exceptions, Pokemon X/Y and Mario Kart 7 updates are cross region compatible.

what games does it not work for then?
if there about about 15 or so updates in the eshop (keep in mind 5 for that louvre museum thing i'm not including don't count), and 3 of the updates consist of mario kart and both pokemon games, i think 3/15 is hardly a rare exception

ETNWIND

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what games does it not work for then?
if there about about 15 or so updates in the eshop (keep in mind 5 for that louvre museum thing i'm not including don't count), and 3 of the updates consist of mario kart and both pokemon games, i think 3/15 is hardly a rare exception
For EUR/US region, that is probably not that rare, but for JP region, that's very rare. And I think we're talking about all regions.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
For EUR/US region, that is probably not that rare, but for JP region, that's very rare. And I think we're talking about all regions.

sure but the majority of the jp updates are games that are solely released in japan, surely we are only counting updates that are 'region free' for games that are released in all regions... :)
for example, the monster hunter 4 is only in japan, so the update shouldn't count as being region free or not... we cannot test it since the game does not exist out of japan.
and for things like animal crossing, in japan there is a 1.1 update, but outside of there the update is built into the game, so again... i wouldn't say that that japanese update isn't region free because it is not applicable outside of japan - you see what i mean?

ETNWIND

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sure but the majority of the jp updates are games that are solely released in japan, surely we are only counting updates that are 'region free' for games that are released in all regions... :)
for example, the monster hunter 4 is only in japan, so the update shouldn't count as being region free or not... we cannot test it since the game does not exist out of japan.
and for things like animal crossing, in japan there is a 1.1 update, but outside of there the update is built into the game, so again... i wouldn't say that that japanese update isn't region free because it is not applicable outside of japan - you see what i mean?
OK, just ignore the word "rare".

Reactions: cearp

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
just for information, here is a list i just made of the updates for the eur eshop (maybe some eur countries get a different list... i don't know)
i'm not going to make a list of the japanese ones, it would take me far too long
i am not going to keep this list updated or maintained :)

Siesta Fiesta
Lourve Guide English
Lourve Guide French
Lourve Guide Spanish
Lourve Guide German
Lourve Guide Italian
Jewel Quest
Tomodachi Life
Aterno Blade
Steel Diver Sub Wars
The LEGO Movie
Adventure Time ETDBIDK