Creating PS3 Backups With PC

Discussion in 'PS3 - Games & Content' started by PityOnU, Feb 14, 2013.

Feb 14, 2013

Creating PS3 Backups With PC by PityOnU at 3:52 AM (3,518 Views / 0 Likes) 1 replies

1. PityOnU
    OP

Member PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Is it possible to create 1:1 .iso's of PS3 games using just my PC? If so, what is the best way to go about it? If not, what do I need to do to my PS3 to achieve this functionality?

2. BerserkLeon

Member BerserkLeon Not-so-new member

United States
    First off, if you're creating a 1:1 rip of the disc, you'd be copying the encryption on the disc too, making the rip unreadable to anything but a ps3.
    There is a PRODUCT that will apparently let you do this, I believe it's called the 3k3y ripper. I think it works by getting the key from your BD drive while on a 3.55 firmware, then connecting said BD drive to their PCB which allows you to somehow connect it to your computer. I'm not all that sure on it because the product doesn't interest me that much, since I can't grab the key for the only spare I have lying around.
    To achieve creation of readable "iso"s like the ones that are floating around on torrent sites and such, which are folders with the game files in them that are designed to be put on your ps3's internal hard drive or an external fat32 hard drive, you need to be on a custom firmware and use something like MultiMan on your Blu-Ray games to rip the contents from them. I imagine Iris Backup Manager might get the job done too, but I haven't used it, personally.
    The only issue so far with these is that some newer games (Black Ops 2, Fifa 13, Ni no Kuni) detect something about how the game's being run and either report to their dev company (Bops, fifa) which then reports their findings to Sony, Who then bans you... or simply freezes your console randomly if it detects the evidence of a backup manager in your LV2 (nnk). In the case of the latter, I don't know if the findings are being reported to anyone, except for the one time it happened to me, the ps3 asked me if I wanted to report my improper shutdown to Sony... lol.

But no, there's no way to just stick the discs in a PC's blu-ray drive and have some program emulate a ps3 drive so you can rip the discs, at least not yet.
    If your ps3 can run linux (otheros) the firmware apparently still does enough work that you can read/copy the games that way too, but now that more or less requires a custom firmware in the first place, so it'd be easier to just have MM or Iris do it for you.

There's no way to run said apps on Official firmware. So if you have a ps3 on 4.31 for example (or any official firmware over 3.55) you need a hardware flasher like the E3 to get your console back on 3.55 so you can get to CFW.