Question Creating an alternative YouTube application?

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by ThirdEyeCx, Nov 9, 2018 at 2:13 AM.

1. ThirdEyeCx
    OP

ThirdEyeCx Member

Newcomer
    May 4, 2018
    United States
    USA
    Edit: Guess this post doesn't matter anymore, there's now a solution to get YouTube running on banned switches or using 90DNS using a modified YouTube NSP, which can't be linked here.

I know YouTube was just released on Switch, but it does not work on banned consoles nor with custom DNS (90DNS, etc). It would probably be best to figure out how to patch it to remove the Nintendo traffic or the possibility of patching out advertisements. But what about creating an alternative? I've known about NewPipe for some time now, which is an alternative YouTube app for Android, but just realized it is open source. It's lightweight and blocks ads by default. It also does not use any Google framework libraries, nor the YouTube API and works without Google services (on Android devices), but this also means you can't sign in. You can however "subscribe" to your channels locally, and live streams work fine. There are a lot of other features as well but they could be stripped out and tailored for Switch.

I am trying to learn software development myself but am considered a noob, so I wouldn't be able to know if it can be ported to Switch. So I am wondering if anyone with the knowledge would be interested in looking into this and seeing if it's possible or worth it.

NewPipe website: https://newpipe.schabi.org/
    NewPipe GitHub: https://github.com/TeamNewPipe/NewPipe/

Last edited by ThirdEyeCx, Nov 10, 2018 at 6:06 PM
  2. Nincompoopdo

Nincompoopdo GBAtemp Regular

May 20, 2017
    United States
    The best thing to do is making a browser for Switch, you can sign in at Youtube website.

3. ThirdEyeCx
    OP

ThirdEyeCx Member

Newcomer
    May 4, 2018
    United States
    USA
    Yeah that's true as well. This just made me realize that if a simple web browser hasn't been made yet then my suggestion for porting NewPipe is highly unlikely.

Last edited by ThirdEyeCx, Nov 9, 2018 at 4:09 AM
  4. Thetoto

Thetoto GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 10, 2018
    France
    First we have to make a good video player.

And newpipe is written in Java

5. PiracyForTheMasses

PiracyForTheMasses GBAtemp Regular

Sep 25, 2018
    United States
    Im not sure why no one has bothered making a video player, web browser etc. with game maker studio, it can be done.

6. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Go on then :)

nmkd likes this.
  7. PiracyForTheMasses

Sep 25, 2018
    United States
    not my goal, Im working on games, all I am saying is it is possible, there is chromium for game maker, there are video players etc. I did test chromium, and it does in fact work on the switch, just doesnt connect to the internet, Im more than sure its an easy fix

Last edited by PiracyForTheMasses, Nov 9, 2018 at 1:28 PM
  8. ThirdEyeCx
    OP

ThirdEyeCx Member

Newcomer
    May 4, 2018
    United States
    USA
    That's really interesting. I wonder how things like the homebrew app store, SD Files updater, etc can connect to the internet. You may be on to something but I'm sure others are working on these things behind the scenes.

9. PiracyForTheMasses

Sep 25, 2018
    United States
    People only see game maker studio as a game engine, but its capable of playing different types of video formats, audio formats, streams, web browser etc. Not to mention that there are already video players and all of that for game maker, just a matter of editing some code.

Last edited by PiracyForTheMasses, Nov 9, 2018 at 5:43 PM
    ThirdEyeCx likes this.
  10. huma_dawii

huma_dawii GBAtemp Addict

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth
    We need a browser not lots of apps... and we need that as an integrated app!!! Not a regular app!!! (We need background web browsing so we can open it while playing a game).

Last edited by huma_dawii, Nov 9, 2018 at 5:48 PM
    Endurion_Jr likes this.
  11. ThirdEyeCx
    OP

ThirdEyeCx Member

Newcomer
    May 4, 2018
    United States
    USA
    Our best bet is a homebrew web browser because Nintendo will never release the full version of their browser, at least not for a long time, due to paranoia of web-based exploits.

huma_dawii likes this.
  12. PiracyForTheMasses

Sep 25, 2018
    United States
    Since you want to be so demanding, go make your own browser.

13. huma_dawii

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth
    Nobody asked for your opinion? Thank you.

nmkd and whateverg1012 like this.
  14. PiracyForTheMasses

Sep 25, 2018
    United States
    no one asked for your opinion prick. You have not contributed a single thing to the switch hacking scene, yet you come here with your attitude talking about what we need. Oh we need a browser not a lot of apps blah blah blah. We need background web browsing blah blah, you are just another person that thinks they are entitled. You have not contributed anything to this topic, nothing what so ever. So when I do getting this browser working, I wont release it to the public because of idiotic people like you.

Last edited by PiracyForTheMasses, Nov 9, 2018 at 9:20 PM
  15. huma_dawii

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth
    And NOBODY cares :)

Edit:

I just said what we need, I didn't say it in a way to demand anything, specially from scene developers but Nintendo themselves.

And btw what is wrong with you? You react like if I was asking you for something or attacking you Lol! You need to relax more... stop staying up late in front of your PC "developing" a Web browser you won't release (Lollolololol) and get out to get some sun ;) you will feel less attacked by people.

Last edited by huma_dawii, Nov 10, 2018 at 7:00 AM
  16. Twistedziefer

Twistedziefer GBAtemp Regular

May 18, 2018
    United States
    Los Angeles
    and nobody asked for your opinion either just pointing that out :P

lufeig likes this.
  17. Naked_Snake

Naked_Snake Constant Miscreant

Oct 6, 2013
    Australia
    Hyrule Field
    The YouTube app works perfectly fine in Hand held mode for me but when I connect it to my dock this happens on Both of my TV’s I also have no adapters just hdmi strait to dock and tv
    A86E7344-C047-42F8-B204-E1263A8704BE.jpeg

Last edited by Naked_Snake, Nov 10, 2018 at 7:39 AM
  18. Nincompoopdo

Nincompoopdo GBAtemp Regular

May 20, 2017
    United States
    A hacked Youtube app has been released with HDCP disabled and it works with banned Switch. It also works with SXOS stealth mode enabled for those who aren't banned yet.

19. lufeig

lufeig GBAtemp Regular

Oct 22, 2009
    Brazil
    São Paulo, Brazil
    wrong wording

YOU need all that, not WE

speak for yourself

20. cantrollmyrs

cantrollmyrs Member

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2018
    United States
    I just downloaded the hacked YouTube app, works great. Hope they make a Hulu version as well. It should be possible with any app not requiring nintendo servers. The YouTube cracked app is a great step forward. Installs just like any other app.

ThirdEyeCx likes this.