Homebrew Question Creating an alternative YouTube application?

ThirdEyeCx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit: Guess this post doesn't matter anymore, there's now a solution to get YouTube running on banned switches or using 90DNS using a modified YouTube NSP, which can't be linked here.

I know YouTube was just released on Switch, but it does not work on banned consoles nor with custom DNS (90DNS, etc). It would probably be best to figure out how to patch it to remove the Nintendo traffic or the possibility of patching out advertisements. But what about creating an alternative? I've known about NewPipe for some time now, which is an alternative YouTube app for Android, but just realized it is open source. It's lightweight and blocks ads by default. It also does not use any Google framework libraries, nor the YouTube API and works without Google services (on Android devices), but this also means you can't sign in. You can however "subscribe" to your channels locally, and live streams work fine. There are a lot of other features as well but they could be stripped out and tailored for Switch.

I am trying to learn software development myself but am considered a noob, so I wouldn't be able to know if it can be ported to Switch. So I am wondering if anyone with the knowledge would be interested in looking into this and seeing if it's possible or worth it.

NewPipe website: https://newpipe.schabi.org/
NewPipe GitHub: https://github.com/TeamNewPipe/NewPipe/

Last edited by ThirdEyeCx,

PiracyForTheMasses

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go on then :)
not my goal, Im working on games, all I am saying is it is possible, there is chromium for game maker, there are video players etc. I did test chromium, and it does in fact work on the switch, just doesnt connect to the internet, Im more than sure its an easy fix

Last edited by PiracyForTheMasses,

ThirdEyeCx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not my goal, Im working on games, all I am saying is it is possible, there is chromium for game maker, there are video players etc. I did test chromium, and it does in fact work on the switch, just doesnt connect to the internet, Im more than sure its an easy fix
That's really interesting. I wonder how things like the homebrew app store, SD Files updater, etc can connect to the internet. You may be on to something but I'm sure others are working on these things behind the scenes.

PiracyForTheMasses

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's really interesting. I wonder how things like the homebrew app store, SD Files updater, etc can connect to the internet. You may be on to something but I'm sure others are working on these things behind the scenes.
People only see game maker studio as a game engine, but its capable of playing different types of video formats, audio formats, streams, web browser etc. Not to mention that there are already video players and all of that for game maker, just a matter of editing some code.

Reactions: ThirdEyeCx

ThirdEyeCx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We need a browser not lots of apps... and we need that as an integrated app!!! Not a regular app!!! (We need background we browsing so we can open it while playing a game).
Our best bet is a homebrew web browser because Nintendo will never release the full version of their browser, at least not for a long time, due to paranoia of web-based exploits.

Reactions: huma_dawii

PiracyForTheMasses

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nobody asked for your opinion? Thank you.
no one asked for your opinion prick. You have not contributed a single thing to the switch hacking scene, yet you come here with your attitude talking about what we need. Oh we need a browser not a lot of apps blah blah blah. We need background web browsing blah blah, you are just another person that thinks they are entitled. You have not contributed anything to this topic, nothing what so ever. So when I do getting this browser working, I wont release it to the public because of idiotic people like you.

huma_dawii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no one asked for your opinion prick. You have not contributed a single thing to the switch hacking scene, yet you come here with your attitude talking about what we need. Oh we need a browser not a lot of apps blah blah blah. We need background web browsing blah blah, you are just another person that thinks they are entitled. You have not contributed anything to this topic, nothing what so ever. So when I do getting this browser working, I wont release it to the public because of idiotic people like you.

And NOBODY cares :)

Edit:

I just said what we need, I didn't say it in a way to demand anything, specially from scene developers but Nintendo themselves.

And btw what is wrong with you? You react like if I was asking you for something or attacking you Lol! You need to relax more... stop staying up late in front of your PC "developing" a Web browser you won't release (Lollolololol) and get out to get some sun ;) you will feel less attacked by people.

Last edited by huma_dawii,

Naked_Snake

Constant Miscreant
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The YouTube app works perfectly fine in Hand held mode for me but when I connect it to my dock this happens on Both of my TV’s I also have no adapters just hdmi strait to dock and tv
A86E7344-C047-42F8-B204-E1263A8704BE.jpeg

Last edited by Naked_Snake,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

cantrollmyrs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just downloaded the hacked YouTube app, works great. Hope they make a Hulu version as well. It should be possible with any app not requiring nintendo servers. The YouTube cracked app is a great step forward. Installs just like any other app.

Reactions: ThirdEyeCx

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol Syl