1. R4ismychildhood

OP R4ismychildhood GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Hi. I have Windows 10 and a N3DSXL. The wifi of our building is WPA2 so I tried to use Connfectify to create a WEP hotspot for DS games. Didn't work.

Please help!

2. Zense

Zense GBARunner2 config: Touch the touchscreen + press R

Italy
    I've tried this without any luck. If you can manage to get a phone/android to setup a hotspot then that's probably better.

3. R4ismychildhood

United Kingdom
    OMG why is it so hard to connect DS games to wifi nowadays

4. RupeeClock

RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

WEP is an outdated wireless security algorithm that is easily crackable, nothing should be using it any more.
    The wifi capabilities of the DS even back then were quite poor though that it could only connect to WEP secured wireless connections; even if you were using a DSi that did support WPA secured connections, old DS mode games could not.

Nintendo used to sell Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connectors by Buffalo just to get your DS or Wii connected online.
    It required plugging the dongle into a Windows XP PC, but the devices had no official support on Windows Vista or later systems and were prone to failure such as overheating.

I'm glad that modern devices don't have these sorts of issues, but now it's even more of a hassle to set up a WEP connection just for older DS games.

5. R4ismychildhood

United Kingdom
    I used to love digging underground in Pokemon Platinum! Also miss the DLCs for Yu-Gi-Oh! I hope I can get them back onto my 3DS

6. Zense

Zense GBARunner2 config: Touch the touchscreen + press R

Italy
    I remember having one of those adapters and it did actually overheat. Such a weird thing but funny how even back then WEP was abandonned.

Basically what I do now to connect to wfc is to use a wifi repeater connected to my wifi and set it to allow access to my ds' mac address, hide the ssid, and allow only one connection. Is it safe? No! Not at all, but this way I can just plug it in and out whenever I want to connect.

7. Nippo

Nippo Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I would say your best bet would be either pick up one of those USBs or find an Android phone to use as a hotspot. Next best thing would be tryna find a WEP router on eBay or, if you are able to, create a guest network on your current wifi with WEP security. If using a WEP connection I would definitely consider only making it available to your DS MAC address.

I have also written a guide on how to use the USB with wiimmfi if needed. It will require a VM with XP though, which doesn't really help your question unfortunately (unless you are able to get yourself a VM on your Windows 10 computer).

If you are fine with emulation, MelonDS also works as well as it is compatible with Wiimmfi. You would use your computer to play the game obviously

R4ismychildhood likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Windows, Hotspot, Create