Hacking Create a new IOS!

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
fogbank said:
[...]
The IOS16 workaround is dead. The key now is not how to add cIOS versions as different title IDs. The key is in Comex's hack to lower the title version of an existing, legitimate IOS that is already installed. Without that the "hackers" would currently be dead in the water.

The "hackers" will be very soon "dead in the water". As soon as new Wiis have 4.0 on them, you may run code with bannerbomb, but downgrading IOS, trucha and cIOS are all things you can only dream about.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I still don't see why a homebrew app can't use ISFS_ calls to modify the existing IOSes to re-add the fakesign bug. ISFS can't be blocked because games rely on it. I assume filesystem permissions wouldn't be a problem since bannerbomb runs from the system menu.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
tueidj said:
I still don't see why a homebrew app can't use ISFS_ calls to modify the existing IOSes to re-add the fakesign bug. ISFS can't be blocked because games rely on it. I assume filesystem permissions wouldn't be a problem since bannerbomb runs from the system menu.

That sounds like a good idea, "but" it would only work from bannerbomb, executed from somewhere else, it doesn't have the necessary permissions. If you know more about this, you could ask bushing and/or comex directly about this.

fogbank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
The "hackers" will be very soon "dead in the water". As soon as new Wiis have 4.0 on them, you may run code with bannerbomb, but downgrading IOS, trucha and cIOS are all things you can only dream about.

How about the methods that are currently being used? Use bannerbomb to run the DVDX installer that lowers the title version of IOS35, then install IOS35 v1042 over the existing version. Use that IOS to install cIOS, etc...

Are you assuming that all new Wii's will have the same characteristics of the LU64+ "unsoftmoddable" Wii's in that they won't run older IOS versions? That would make this method unusable. But as far as I know it has not been determined whether this "unsoftmoddable" issue is related to a certain batch of Wii's, a specific manufacturing plant, or a manufacture date etc... We know it is not directly related to serial numbers, as there have been plenty of higher serial numbers that have been softmoddable (even LU65+) while some lower serials have not been. It also assumes that this was something that they did intentionally to block older IOS versions, and that they will continue to make them this way for security reasons. I'm not real clear on how/what/why this change was made on the "unsoftmoddable" Wii's. Do you know anything more specific?

I agree, however, that if they continue to make them that way then the current method will be useless.

Skarface05

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What information have you got with LU64/LU65+ wii's being moddable?

I have seen none, the only ones i have seen were early LU64's.

Please FOGBANK - Elaborate a lilttle for me please as this is something we are looking into and would appreicate any information you could give.

Thanks.
tongue.gif

fogbank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skarface05 said:

Please FOGBANK - Elaborate a lilttle for me please as this is something we are looking into and would appreicate any information you could give.

Thanks.
tongue.gif

I posted in an older thread regarding LU64+ Wii's (and have stated a few times elsewhere as well) that I picked up a brand new Wii with the intention of working on the "unsoftmoddable" issue. The serial number was LU6528xxxxx and it came with 3.4U already installed. I installed the HBC via TP, installed IOS16 v257 via WadManager 1.3, and then installed cIOS rev9 from a WAD using CustomWadManager16.

I was immediately able to use Gamma, SoftChip, USBLoader v1.1 etc...

I did not attempt any downgrading or any further modifications (no interest). I would consider that Wii to be "softmoddable". I still have the Wii and have not made any changes to it since.

fogbank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skarface05 said:

Thanks.
tongue.gif

Also check the posts in this thread:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=143429&st=60 LU645 MODDABLE
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=143429&st=105 LU6468 MODDABLE
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=143429&st=120 LU6438 UNMODDABLE
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=143429&st=150 LU6432 & LU6407 UNMODDABLE

Granted some of these accounts may not be 100% reliable, but I think we have enough anecdotal evidence to show that high serial number/low serial number is not an indicator of softmoddable/unsoftmoddable.

--JoCa--

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Wait... You bought a Wii just to see this "unsoftmoddable" stuff?? And here I am, in Brazil, where you have to save AT LEAST US$800,00 to buy a Wii (with no extras)...

I feel kinda depressed...
frown.gif

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
--JoCa-- said:
Wait... You bought a Wii just to see this "unsoftmoddable" stuff?? And here I am, in Brazil, where you have to save AT LEAST US$800,00 to buy a Wii (with no extras)...

I feel kinda depressed...
frown.gif

Wow, is it really that bad? I would have thought you could travel to the USA and buy a Wii there for this money. I'm sorry.

DPyro

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Um, here's a thought. If you don't want Nintendo blocking homebrew...DON'T UPDATE.

No one is forcing you.
There is no real advantage to update.
You can access Wii Shop on 3.2U.
You can play online without updating.
The really aren't any games that actually require an update.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)