Create a compilation rom ?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Cortexfou, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Cortexfou
    OP

Cortexfou GBAtemp Regular

Apr 14, 2016
    Belgium
    Hi,
    I want to make a compliation rom with some Game Boy games (and why not snes or nes too) to create just one custom virtual console cia for my 3DS instead of multiple cia. Is it possible ?
    Thanks.

2. szymon170

szymon170 Pr0FessiuNal HelPeR wiTh HaxXX

Jan 2, 2016
    Poland
    Where I live
    Well, it shouldn't depend on 3DS, but more on the emulated ROM itself. 3DS uses Virtual Console and it just launches one ROM at a time. So you should probably search how to make GB ROM compilations or compilations of ROMs for other consoles. I know that it's possible for the NES, because in Poland we had many bootleg cartridges like 9999999 games in 1 which in reality only had 5 games in one but it was a compilation nonetheless.

3. x65943

x65943 Resident Greekaboo, Amateur Dog Father

Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    I'm looking into multiroms, and it looks like the flashcarts themselves used to link the games together. I can't find an actual tool to link games together.

4. dudemo

dudemo GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2016
    United States
    PIxelville
    Isn't there a size limit for VC injects? Surely stringing multiple ROMS into one playable ROM would be too large?

5. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Just take a NES VC CIA, extract the ROMFS of the CIA, add some GB(C) and NES ROMs to the folder of the VC ROM, rebuild the ROMFS and CIA, install it, and you get a ROM selection menu that's built in the VC.

6. szymon170

szymon170 Pr0FessiuNal HelPeR wiTh HaxXX

Jan 2, 2016
    Poland
    Where I live
    Would it work with other ROMs? For example, SNES ROMs?

7. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Nope, just NES and GB(C), because the NES VC came out before the SNES VC.

8. dudemo

dudemo GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2016
    United States
    PIxelville
    So this is actually do able. I'm definitely going to try this with some of the series games, like SMB1 2 and 3.
    When you say we can't do it with SNES, does that mean we can't do multiple SNES at all, or we just can't mix them with GB/NES? Also, why?

9. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    We can't mix them with GB/NES. And why? Because the NES VC was developed before the SNES VC.

dudemo likes this.
  10. sion_zaphod

sion_zaphod Ex-Galactic President; confidence trickster; etc

Sep 4, 2011
    Wales
    Use pogoshell to build a multi emulator/rom custom GBA then convert to cia. I did this myself and converted my entire SMS and Sega game gear ROMs into just a couple of CIAs

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

You can mix different emulators with pogoshell because each emulator is a plugin within the pogoshell built GBA

Last edited by sion_zaphod, Oct 23, 2016
    dudemo likes this.
  11. dudemo

dudemo GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2016
    United States
    PIxelville
    Thanks! I'll be doing this very shortly!

12. DarkRioru

DarkRioru Akage Chan's Servent

Aug 29, 2015
    United States
    Fluffing Akage Chan's Tail
    well there is the two in one combo pack games you find on the eshop like the loonytoons and scooby doo pack... why can't we inject two roms like pokemon ruby and sapphire into it replacing the orginal combo pack??

13. AnalogMan

AnalogMan sumoCheatMenu Dev

Apr 20, 2007
    United States
    How does saving work with this? Does the 3DS automatically operate and load the right saves?

14. Naked_Snake

Naked_Snake Constant Miscreant

Oct 6, 2013
    Hyrule Field
    Got a tut?

15. sion_zaphod

sion_zaphod Ex-Galactic President; confidence trickster; etc

Sep 4, 2011
    Wales
    I'll see if I can find some examples I've used in the past and get back to you. I'm in work at the moment but will have a look later while watching walking dead:)

Naked_Snake likes this.
  16. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    i also had some gb botleg cartridges... it should be not that hard but keep in mind not a single game from theese compilations either didn't had save features or didnt work (i recall there was not a single game that continued or keep the scores)

however... @Cortexfou if you wish the save files to work and got no luck in doing so.. you may consider to make a goomba gba rom and inject it as a gba game?
    http://www.dwedit.org/gba/goombacolor.php
    well.. you will basically run an emulator inside an emulator but it may work....

17. Cortexfou
    OP

Cortexfou GBAtemp Regular

Apr 14, 2016
    Belgium
    I was thinking about the bootleg cardtridge as well. I'll use goomba. Thanks guys :)