Homebrew Create a compilation rom ?

Cortexfou

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi,
I want to make a compliation rom with some Game Boy games (and why not snes or nes too) to create just one custom virtual console cia for my 3DS instead of multiple cia. Is it possible ?
Thanks.

szymon170

Pr0FessiuNal HelPeR wiTh HaxXX
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well, it shouldn't depend on 3DS, but more on the emulated ROM itself. 3DS uses Virtual Console and it just launches one ROM at a time. So you should probably search how to make GB ROM compilations or compilations of ROMs for other consoles. I know that it's possible for the NES, because in Poland we had many bootleg cartridges like 9999999 games in 1 which in reality only had 5 games in one but it was a compilation nonetheless.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
I want to make a compliation rom with some Game Boy games (and why not snes or nes too) to create just one custom virtual console cia for my 3DS instead of multiple cia. Is it possible ?
Thanks.

I'm looking into multiroms, and it looks like the flashcarts themselves used to link the games together. I can't find an actual tool to link games together.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just take a NES VC CIA, extract the ROMFS of the CIA, add some GB(C) and NES ROMs to the folder of the VC ROM, rebuild the ROMFS and CIA, install it, and you get a ROM selection menu that's built in the VC.

Reactions: retrospect

szymon170

Pr0FessiuNal HelPeR wiTh HaxXX
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Just take a NES VC CIA, extract the ROMFS of the CIA, add some GB(C) and NES ROMs to the folder of the VC ROM, rebuild the ROMFS and CIA, install it, and you get a ROM selection menu that's built in the VC.
Would it work with other ROMs? For example, SNES ROMs?

dudemo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, just NES and GB(C), because the NES VC came out before the SNES VC.
So this is actually do able. I'm definitely going to try this with some of the series games, like SMB1 2 and 3.
When you say we can't do it with SNES, does that mean we can't do multiple SNES at all, or we just can't mix them with GB/NES? Also, why?

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this is actually do able. I'm definitely going to try this with some of the series games, like SMB1 2 and 3.
When you say we can't do it with SNES, does that mean we can't do multiple SNES at all, or we just can't mix them with GB/NES? Also, why?
We can't mix them with GB/NES. And why? Because the NES VC was developed before the SNES VC.

Reactions: dudemo

sion_zaphod

Ex-Galactic President; confidence trickster; etc
Trophies
XP
Country
Use pogoshell to build a multi emulator/rom custom GBA then convert to cia. I did this myself and converted my entire SMS and Sega game gear ROMs into just a couple of CIAs

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You can mix different emulators with pogoshell because each emulator is a plugin within the pogoshell built GBA

Last edited by sion_zaphod,
Reactions: dudemo

dudemo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use pogoshell to build a multi emulator/rom custom GBA then convert to cia. I did this myself and converted my entire SMS and Sega game gear ROMs into just a couple of CIAs

You can mix different emulators with pogoshell because each emulator is a plugin within the pogoshell built GBA
Thanks! I'll be doing this very shortly!

Naked_Snake

Constant Miscreant
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

Got a tut?

sion_zaphod

Ex-Galactic President; confidence trickster; etc
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll see if I can find some examples I've used in the past and get back to you. I'm in work at the moment but will have a look later while watching walking dead:)

Reactions: Naked_Snake

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Well, it shouldn't depend on 3DS, but more on the emulated ROM itself. 3DS uses Virtual Console and it just launches one ROM at a time. So you should probably search how to make GB ROM compilations or compilations of ROMs for other consoles. I know that it's possible for the NES, because in Poland we had many bootleg cartridges like 9999999 games in 1 which in reality only had 5 games in one but it was a compilation nonetheless.
i also had some gb botleg cartridges... it should be not that hard but keep in mind not a single game from theese compilations either didn't had save features or didnt work (i recall there was not a single game that continued or keep the scores)

however... @Cortexfou if you wish the save files to work and got no luck in doing so.. you may consider to make a goomba gba rom and inject it as a gba game?
http://www.dwedit.org/gba/goombacolor.php
well.. you will basically run an emulator inside an emulator but it may work....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey