Could someone with BS9/Luma test this please.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by smallmedicap, Jun 27, 2017.

1. smallmedicap
    OP

smallmedicap Member

Newcomer
    Nov 1, 2015
    United States
    Old 3ds XL
    BS9 1.2
    Luma 8.0

Go to system settings.
    Go to internet settings.
    Go to Nintendo DS connections. (hit "OK" to load it)
    Hit "B Back" to exit Nintendo DS connections.
    Hit "back" then "close" to exit system settings.

CRASH

Does NOT cause a crash on A9LH.

2. THEELEMENTKH

THEELEMENTKH GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 31, 2016
    Spain
    Hell
    Just tested and yes, it crashes

And it also crashes for me on the title screen of Heroes of Ruin (own dump), not letting me play :unsure: EDIT: Yes, it worked fine on A9LH, and it even does the same for 2 cias I found online

EUR New 3DS XL 11,4 Luma + B9S

3. Mat37

Mat37 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 3, 2016
    France
    Also crash for me

4. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko 3DS Hardmoder

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    interesting. crashed for me too. But in reality, who is going to this so often?

5. Mat37

Mat37 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 3, 2016
    France
    Don't know, probably a random action that medicap performed and he said like wtf when it crashes

6. smallmedicap
    OP

smallmedicap Member

Newcomer
    Nov 1, 2015
    United States
    Thanks for confirmation you guys.

This is one of several crashes that is making me stick with A9LH for a couple more months. I realize that BS9 is better but I am going to wait a bit for some of these things to be ironed out.

(I have a feeling that this particular crash might be related to the DS game issue that happened with update 11.3 (or was it 11.2?))

I realize what you mean, but that is not how testing software works. When a bug is found, it is reported. It doesn't matter how obscure it is. (One reason for that is that the problem behind the bug it could cause a related issue elsewhere at another time.)

JimmyZ, Quantumcat and DarthDub like this.
  7. Awesomekid956000

Awesomekid956000 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2017
    United States
    same here maybe b9s will get patched in the future. I hope anyway!

8. smallmedicap
    OP

smallmedicap Member

Newcomer
    Nov 1, 2015
    United States
  9. Byokugen

Byokugen Unit_01

May 16, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    Just a bit to the right, or was left...
    Same here.

10. Awesomekid956000

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2017
    United States
    Trust me I have so many crashes with b9s right now the only reason everybody is making the change to b9s is because a9lh cant support .firm files correct? Why couldnt a9hl just release an update that supports .firm is it because the thing is dead?I dont Know myself.

11. smallmedicap
    OP

smallmedicap Member

Newcomer
    Nov 1, 2015
    United States

It's not really that big of a deal because the B9S glitches (and the glitches other programs like Luma might have with B9S) will be ironed out in a few months. I don't blame them at all for having glitches, it's a new piece of software.

And as for people like you and I who want to still use A9LH for a bit we can use the latest version that had .bin support (Luma3DSv7.0.5). We might be missing out on a couple new Luma features for a bit... but that is not a huge problem.

Which brings me to your last question. As far as I am aware some of the new features only work on B9S and wouldn't have worked on A9LH. So if that is correct then that is why Luma isn't releasing an arm9loaderhax.bin version as well.

12. Awesomekid956000

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2017
    United States
    oh its a new software,ok I just thought it was something nobody payed attention to because a9lh was just better suited at the time sorry ;)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

and i did upgrade to b9s like a few days ago i just didnt think i needed to upgrade right off the bat because as soon as i got my 2ds and modded to a9lh all of a sudden b9s started popping up for future updates of luma i didnt feel like it since i did enough that day and sorta forgot about b9s untill recently

13. wsquan171

wsquan171 GBAtemp Regular

GBAtemp Patron
    wsquan171 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 14, 2015
    China
    According to Aurora herself on a GitHub issue page (can't link now, came across it weeks ago and probably in the closed section), that DS connection crash is a bug on Nintendo's side and she has fixed it (or, hided it, in her own words) in a more recent commit. You'll probably see it fixed in the next official release.

Edit: link is here: https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/issues/616

Last edited by wsquan171, Jun 28, 2017
  14. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    USA new 3DS XL
    11.4 + Luma 8.0 B9S 1.2

Crashes for me too.

EDIT: Latest Luma hourly fixes this.

Last edited by Yepi69, Jun 28, 2017
  15. squall14716

squall14716 GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2011
    United States
    It's not a B9S issue, it's just that Luma 8.0 turned on exception handlers by default and caught something that was just silently crashing unnoticed to begin with in this case.

That fact that it was the first release with Rosalina and that didn't go as smoothly as one would hope meant there were some crashes elsewhere as well. Rosalina probably should have been in an open beta before being tossed out as the only working release for the latest version of B9S.

Getting a nightly of the legacy branch will probably result in it running just as smoothly as the latest A9LH version.