Corrupted Image in Wii Games and Menu

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Metoroid0, Aug 27, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Somewhat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Metoroid0
    OP

Metoroid0 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 2, 2012
    Japan
    SR388
    I had this problem since i bought my Wii (it's used one) where image gets corrupted in certain conditions (check the pictures down below).
    I wasnt sure if it's my component cable, but it turned out it wasn't, cause picture would be messed up anyway.

In first pic you can see the corruption, the dots that appear in usually dark areas where there is smoke effect or some texture etc... that has transparency.
    However, it does NOT appear over 3D models, like Samus Arm Cannon (it actually does in that first picture over that rock, but i presume betwean arm cannon and rock there is some transparent texture/effect of a fog. In foggy places it more visible and corruppted dots appear in fixed possition i would say, they just change colors), and if its a cable problem it would apear over the whole picture regardless of 3D models or textures or whatever graphical that is rendered on screen.

I wonder what could this be and how would i be able to fix it. It's not a big problem, it really isnt, it's just annoying to watch and it feels like my Wii is broken.

I would very much like not to buy a new Wii (which i consider if i dont fix this)

Anyway, if you need any more info so you can get better picture, feel free to ask me, please!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by Metoroid0, Aug 27, 2018
  2. CheatFreak47

CheatFreak47 Complex Donut

Oct 11, 2011
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    My friend has the exact same problem with his Wii and as far as I'm aware there is no solution other than just replacing the Wii entirely. For him, the issue appeared after his console overheated once due to the fan being too caked in dust to cool the console effectively. It seems likely the console was damaged by overheating somewhere.

You should just buy a cheap replacement console online, copy all your save games to an SD card and copy them onto the new one. For game saves you can't copy, you could always install homebrew channel on both and use a tool like SaveGame Manager GX to copy the saves over.

Last edited by CheatFreak47, Aug 27, 2018
  3. Metoroid0
    OP

Nov 2, 2012
    Japan
    SR388
    Thank you for your reply.

I use wiiflow and i just have those saves on wii, everything else is on usb and SD..the only drag is hacking, updating wii all over again but

I found one very cheap, for 10 euros. Its really shame it overheated.
    Are you sure thats the problem?

Also, how come only textures are torrupted and not 3D models?

4. CheatFreak47

Oct 11, 2011
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah, it's 100% definitely a hardware issue of some sort. I mean, I won't stop you if you happen to have a reflow station laying around and feel like blasting heat at random components on the Wii console motherboard with heat to see if that fixes it but I'm pretty sure that'd be a monumental waste of time. Wii consoles are so cheap that it's really not worth the effort of trying to properly repair one generally.

5. Metoroid0
    OP

Nov 2, 2012
    Japan
    SR388
    To blast a heat at random components?

6. CheatFreak47

Oct 11, 2011
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    I'm saying that If you happen to have soldering experience and a reflow station (a high-end soldering tool), you could probably use some basic fault finding and that experience to figure out what component on the board has gone bad and then potentially replace the specific component or reflow it's solder to see if that fixes it.

It'd just be a huge waste of time and effort because it's an original Wii and Wiis are cheap, you could work any job for the same amount of time it'd take to fix it and make enough to by 5 Wiis.

Last edited by CheatFreak47, Aug 27, 2018
    Metoroid0 likes this.
  7. Metoroid0
    OP

Nov 2, 2012
    Japan
    SR388
    I see, so its a possible fix maybe.

8. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Sorry that you get this issue :(
    a lot of people experienced this GPU issue by keeping the WC24 option enabled.
    the console is always online and active, but without the FAN enabled when you power-idle it.

on next console, be sure it's always "red-led" powered off, not orange.

9. Metoroid0
    OP

Nov 2, 2012
    Japan
    SR388
    Thanks for your sympathy~

Yeah, that's right, now i remember about that problem back when i had my Wii (i bought it as soon as it came out for sole purpose of
    playing "Metroid: Prime 3"~ Those where the days!).
    I was really careful not to leave it on Stand-By in any case, so it was in mint condition years after. Unfortunately, i needed money so i sold it with all equipment and i felt sorry.

Anyway...
    Yeah, i always take good care of my consoles, however, the previous owner failed to mention that "little" detail, and if it really IS overheating he probably did that what you said about stand-by, and probably left console in vertical position where is poorly ventilated...whell, what can you do. It works great though, only those small dots in certain in-game conditions. I can live hehe, till i find a good replacement. :yaywii:

Thanks for the tip!