BlackDave

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
472124main_20108002-cme.jpg

QUOTE said:
These images taken by the STEREO Ahead satellite from 3:47 to 15:47 UT, show the movement of the CME cloud, on the right of the discs, as it expands toward Earth. Credit: NASA/STEREO

On August 1st around 0855 UT, Earth orbiting satellites detected a C3-class solar flare. The origin of the blast was Earth-facing sunspot 1092. C-class solar flares are small (when compared to X and M-class flares) and usually have few noticeable consequences here on Earth besides aurorae. This one has spawned a coronal mass ejection heading in Earth's direction.

Coronal mass ejections (or CMEs) are large clouds of charged particles that are ejected from the Sun over the course of several hours and can carry up to ten billion tons (1016 grams) of plasma. They expand away from the Sun at speeds as high as a million miles an hour. A CME can make the 93-million-mile journey to Earth in just three to four days.

When a coronal mass ejection reaches Earth, it interacts with our planet’s magnetic field, potentially creating a geomagnetic storm. Solar particles stream down the field lines toward Earth’s poles and collide with atoms of nitrogen and oxygen in the atmosphere, resulting in spectacular auroral displays. On the evening of August 3rd/4th, skywatchers in the northern U.S. and other countries should look toward the north for the rippling dancing “curtains” of green and red light.

The Sun goes through a regular activity cycle about 11 years long. The last solar maximum occurred in 2001 and its recent extreme solar minimum was particularly weak and long lasting. These kinds of eruptions are one of the first signs that the Sun is waking up and heading toward another solar maximum expected in the 2013 time frame.

The Source

I read it on Engadget first but they are all making a fuss about how the end of the world is going to happen tomorrow and then they went off into a star wars parody -_- (no seriously look at here)

BUT back on topic I have never seen an Aurorae Boreal and want to see one. Just don't know when and where and how (don't want to blind me)

D

Deleted_171835

Holy shit!
The world is going to end! Bollocks. Metroid: Other M isn't even out yet.

On the bright side, I'll see an aurora if a comment on Engadget is to be believed!
biggrin.gif

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlackDave said:
BUT back on topic I have never seen an Aurorae Boreal and want to see one. Just don't know when and where and how (don't want to blind me)

You don't need to take any special precautions to watch an aurora.
But you might become a superhero from the cosmic rays
tongue.gif

In keeping with the theme of THE SKY IS FALLING:

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Westside said:
Veho said:
We're all doomed, who's up for an orgy?
Let's have a Coronal Mass Ejaculation
smileipb2.png
smileipb2.png
smileipb2.png
That's what I misread the title as. Seriously. I probably wouldn't have clicked it otherwise.

Anyway, I hope it will be viewable in the Western Europe, too, it'd suck to not see something as rare as that
frown.gif

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I wonder if this will be visible in the UK at any point. The only weather we get is the shit kind. Would be nice to celebrate my good day with a night under the aurora with Jess.

BlackDave

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sun Fart. let's back-fire with our own combined 7 billion farts
biggrin.gif

Edit: But we ain't gonna produce any pretty lights
rofl.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Both of mine are i5's lol
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    All right! Who stole my right sock? :angry:
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    At least someone other than myself thought it was funny :rofl:
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    DNDBD (DND×DBD) IS A REAL THING
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I didnt have school today
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz it's some kind of holiday related to the town I live in
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Am I [R WORD]?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon