ROM Hack Question Converting textures FROM Skyrim Switch dds to PC friendly format

Neil187

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello everyone,

I have recently learned to extract xci files and have done the necessary steps after to acquire all of Skyrim's data files from Switch onto my PC. All is well except I am having issues with one thing. DDS texture format.

I am aware they they use some unique headers in their files, so I am unable to open them via the regular means (GIMP, Photoshop, Paint.net). I am wondering if there is a converter for this type of header, or if there is a plugin/program that can handle them?

Thank you all!

Reactions: Pistakilla

SimonMKWii

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hello everyone,

I have recently learned to extract xci files and have done the necessary steps after to acquire all of Skyrim's data files from Switch onto my PC. All is well except I am having issues with one thing. DDS texture format.

I am aware they they use some unique headers in their files, so I am unable to open them via the regular means (GIMP, Photoshop, Paint.net). I am wondering if there is a converter for this type of header, or if there is a plugin/program that can handle them?

Thank you all!
Switch isn't compatible with direct-draw surfaces, so I'm not exactly sure how you managed to get .dds files from Skyrim...

NightStorm1000

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
PM me a file and ill take a look at it. I coded many Batch Convert Programms for Multiple Game Projects. I am sure i will find something.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Switch isn't compatible with direct-draw surfaces, so I'm not exactly sure how you managed to get .dds files from Skyrim...
DDS does not require DirectX or Direct3D. They also work in OpenGL or Vulkan.

Neil187

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey everyone thank you for the responses.

Notex you are right, I don't think we can PM at this rank.

Simon I extracted the xci, then used a tool to extract the NCA file. From there, I was basically presented the "data" folder in the Skyrim directory. I then used another tool to extract the Bethesda archives which contained the textures.

NightStorm, what would be the best way to send you a file if I cannot PM yet?

Deathscreton, I will look through that and report back here.

Thanks everyone!

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I looked through
https://gbatemp.net/threads/what-ar...the-switch-version.501002/page-2#post-7915961 and it sounds like that may be a potential lead on it, however from what I can tell it is meant for converting assets/mods into Switch-friendly formats from PC, which is opposite of what I'm trying to achieve. Unless the tool they mentioned can be used in reverse?
Not sure. I imagine that the tool is open source, so you can see the method they use to convert from PC to Switch and reverse the process. I'm not effecient enough in coding to do such a thing though.

Neil187

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am not the best with coding like that either, but I will look through it and see if I can figure something out. Though I wonder if there is another way, or if the solution is much simpler than we are thinking.

Neil187

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
BNTX_extractor by aboood40091 seems to be what I need to be looking at. I am not super familiar with operating python scripts, and so far after trying a number of things all I can get are some errors when running his script. There is also an .exe file which I cannot seem to get working. Any Clues?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER