Homebrew Converting Gnuboy GX's .gbz files

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brigand
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 2,132
  • Replies Replies 0

Brigand

Well-Known Member
Newcomer
Joined
Mar 3, 2018
Messages
99
Solutions
1
Reaction score
254
Trophies
0
Location
Downunda
XP
961
Country
Australia
tl;dr: How might I convert a .gbz save file to one compatible with a common emulator such as VBA?

So recently I was playing around with some older emulators for the Wii, just for something different. Upon playing a few games in the GB/GBC emulator Gnuboy GX I discovered that for its saves, it uses a unique file type, .gbz. I tried loading this into VBA but to no avail. There is very limited information on Gnuboy GX, especially in regards to how one might make its save format work in other emulators, so I thought I'd ask here. It's quite a nice little emulator, and to be honest I wouldn't mind continuing to use it, but I would like to know if there is a way to possibly convert .gbz saves to a format such as .sav or at least a format that will work with an emulator such as VBA. Does anyone have any ideas?

Edit: Upon further inspection, it would appear that the .gbz files are actually Gnuboy GX's save states. Perhaps I should have realised this before, but the lack of information on the emulator to start with doesn't help. Curiously though, after loading the state within Gnuboy GX and then proceeding to save within the game so that it might write my progress within the state to the .srm file, it certainly appears to work within Gnuboy GX, but trying to load it into one of the GB/GBC Retroarch cores that should support a .srm type save, I have no luck retrieving my save. I will test this further when I have the time and update this post should anyone in the future care.
 
Last edited by Brigand,

Site & Scene News

New Hot Discussed User Submitted