Controllers on Emulators

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by elgarta, May 21, 2013.

1. elgarta
    OP

elgarta GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2012
    United States
    Hola,

So I recently decided to get back into the emulation scene on the Wii, seeing as my partner and our daughter really like playing old SNES games, but when we took the SNES out of storage the console didn't work. So we figured as our Wii was soft-modded, why not take advantage of that before buying a second hand SNES off-of Craigslist or eBay.

We have a classic controller pro, but she doesn't like the feel of the controller or buttons, so it is pretty much reserved for when we play Harvest Moon or Smash Brothers Brawl. We do have the original controllers for our old NES, SNES and Genesis systems (Not sure why since we sold our NES and Genesis years ago) and am wondering which of these options is best:

1) SNES to Gamecube adapter (Retrozone)
    2) SNES to WiiMote adapter (Raphnet)

We have the original model with the GC ports on it so either is fine, but is there an advantage to say the GC port over WiiMote? Does the WiiMote adapter have noticeable lag?

Raphnet appear to have one of the few Genesis adapters that apparently uses all 6 buttons on the 6 button controller, so I might take a look at that too incase I decide to dust off my old Ground Zero and Sonic CD discs ;).

2. Gabelvampir

Gabelvampir Free Mars!

Mar 17, 2009
    Gambia, The
    K-Town
    I personally like wired controllers more then wireless ones (i.e. they don't need batteries).
    I don't have any adapter for my old controllers, so I can't help you with any experience with that.
    But I have an official SNES Classic Controller, and I had never any problems with lag with that. Even used it with my PC to play Super Meat Boy, worked great. Although a SNES to Wiimote adapter could produce more lag, so you should wait for someone to comment on that who knows, if you want a wireless controller.
    Oh and for NES games you can use the Wiimote sideways, if you like that. It's how I always use the Wii NES Emulator.

3. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    my trusty wavebird is a dream to play emulation with

4. Gabelvampir

Gabelvampir Free Mars!

Mar 17, 2009
    Gambia, The
    K-Town
    I don't know, I always find the GC controller layout a bit awkward, especially for emulation.
    And the SNES and Mega Drive/Genesis pads are in my opinion the best pads without analog sticks that were ever design (although the Mega Drive pad could use more buttons, especially for non MD games).

5. Isaac

Isaac American

Dec 8, 2012
    United States
    Here? Right here? What about, say... over there?
    I dont know much about this but if youre worried about lag id go with gc adapter to be safe.

6. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    just remap the buttons in the options EASY

7. Gabelvampir

Gabelvampir Free Mars!

Mar 17, 2009
    Gambia, The
    K-Town
    I know almost all non-commercial emulator simply lets you remap buttons.
    But my problem with the GC controller is that the physical button layout is a bit awkward to me and many other people, so I tend to play Wii emulators with my classic controllers.
    And I really hate the L and R button on the GC controller, there is one boss in Sin and Punishment that is nearly impossible to beat with a GC controller on the VC version. I had to borrow my roommates classic controllers as I to beat it as I had no classic controllers back then (did not like the old design very much, only started buying them when the Pro redesign came out).

8. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    I don't see a problem with the Wii Classic Pro ... I love it actually. But between Gamecube and SNES, definitely use an SNES controller for 8-bit and 16-bit games. The Gamecube controller is the best, but only on Gamecube games. Tiny d-pad and gamecube exclusive button layout make it useless (IMHO) for NES/SNES/Genesis/Saturn/TG16 games.

9. elgarta
    OP

elgarta GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2012
    United States
    Yeah the classic pro looked really nice, I picked one up but it would just stop working all the time. I found out it needed to be re-set when it stopped functioning, but it was a hassle to do all the time.

And with the Gamecube controller, the d-pad is a bit too small for me. I don't like using analog sticks for older games, it just doesn't feel as smooth. I ended up getting one of the wired-adapters for the SNES due to the controller layout not being as comfortable with the wii-mote, but it is fine for NES/SMS roms. I figured that since we have the original controllers laying around, might aswell put them to use :)