Contact freeze?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Sora de Eclaune, Feb 3, 2012.

Feb 3, 2012

Contact freeze? by Sora de Eclaune at 8:36 PM (539 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    Every time I go to start a new game on Contact, the game freezes on a black screen with two notes of a sound effect or a song blaring at the same time. When this happens, the only thing that will shut it off is turning off the DS.

I'm using an R4 with the latest Wood R4. I have updated and tried a different ROM, but neither worked.

Oddly, I remember finding this game when Wood R4 was around version 1.13 or so. At the time, the game worked just fine. Because of this, I can't tell if I'm just getting bad ROMs or if some update broke the game.

2. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    format your microSD, backing up 1st, see if that solves your issue

3. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

United States
    I really don't want to do that. I've formatted twice for issues like this, and each time EVERYTHING broke! It would cause my Micro SD to go into a 'corrupt everything' cycle until I reformatted it around six or seven times (trying to see if the problem was fixed in between each reformat).

I once asked the friend who gave me the R4 if this was normal. He said that he had to reformat the Micro SD just like that only 3 days after he got it!

Formatting the Micro SD would be the very very very very very very last resort, even behind switching to the official v1.18 R4 Kernal.

I mean, the corrupting problem somehow spread to my other flash drives just by having them plugged into the laptop at the same time as the Micro SD while it had the problem. I don't want to be risking my laptop's hard drive like that.

4. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    do you use the Panasonic SDformatter to format the microSD?

5. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

United States
    I tried using that, I tried using the built in formatter... Nothing averts the corrupting problem except multiple reformats.

Which is why for my problem with Contact, I would want all other solutions first.

6. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    sounds like you have a bad msd card or one on its last legs. at this point i would recommend that you download gparted live and make a new partition on your msd card. you may also want to run some disk check diagnostic tools on it, although few give helpful information in regards to msd cards.

try a second msd card. i have always kept a 1 or 2gb japanese kingston around for debugging issues such as this.

its hard to say if its the ds, as you didn't state if any retail games work. its hard to say if its the r4 as you didn't try a second msd card and you didn't try the r4 in a second ds.

-another world

7. Sora de Eclaune
    OP

United States
    Well, the only ROM that doesn't work is Contact.
    The only actual retail game I have is Okamiden, but a friend is borrowing that. However, it does work.
    I don't have another Micro SD.
    I also don't have access to another DS right now.

...or my DS, to be honest. Chell asked to borrow it so she could play The Nameless Game. I don't even have my DS or my R4 right now.

...I think I'll come back when Chell gives me my DS back.

Edit) Oh lordy... Chell handed me my DS, saying "I formatted your damn 'my-crods' and it didn't fix your stupid game or corrupt your freakin' games."
    ...So I guess this isn't a problem with my Micro SD. In fact, I'm surprised nothing's corrupted...

Edit2) WHAT IN THE FLIPPIN' HECK?! IT WORKS NOW!