Constantly maxed-out CPU

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by loco365, Jul 6, 2011.

1. loco365
    OP

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    So, yesterday, I noticed that my CPU was sitting at 100% (According to Rainmeter and the Task Manager) and I assumed it was a virus. I ran the Avira Live CD and let it do it's thing. After logging back in, it made no difference at all. I then thought my disk drive needed to be defragged. But I remembered that my computer did that automatically every Sunday night. So, I tried to use a System Restore. I selected a point made on July 1 from a Windows Update, and let it do it's thing. When I logged back in, it told me that it had failed. So, I tried again. Same result. So, I opened Task Manager and tried to get something happening. I disabled some non-crucial processes and waited for the CPU to drop. Nothing happened, until I stopped explorer.exe. As soon as it stopped, my CPU went from 100% to 10% or less. And when I re-started it, it shot back to 100. So, I opened the Process Explorer and looked at explorer.exe and I was able to see what was driving up explorer. A .dll, namely ntdll.dll, identified by ntdll.dll!RtlSizeHeap+0x64e was running, twice, each at about 48%. Therefore, taking up 96% of my CPU. At one time. I found out that ntdll.dll is something I don't want to kill, so I have just suspended it, but how can I tame ntdll.dll and bring down explorer.exe's CPU usage for all my other programs?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice