DrKkDHm.gif

;O;O;O;O;O;O;O;O;O;O;O;O;

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Problem is... all three consoles = ~$1200 plus taxes here in the states.

A PC that could even do 4K, much less fluidly, is a whole nother order of expensive. Even the monitors alone are north of $1000 if you want something fast enough to even be remotely playable on. No 4K monitors on the market are even remotely latency-parity with existing competition-grade monitors at 1080p, and it's a whole order of magnitude more costly for the graphics cards alone to push that many pixels through.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Problem is... all three consoles = ~$1200 plus taxes here in the states.

A PC that could even do 4K, much less fluidly, is a whole nother order of expensive. Even the monitors alone are north of $1000 if you want something fast enough to even be remotely playable on. No 4K monitors on the market are even remotely latency-parity with existing competition-grade monitors at 1080p, and it's a whole order of magnitude more costly for the graphics cards alone to push that many pixels through.
Ah yes, the price of quality and refinement. :tpi:

Beautiful 4K Monitor - $1000
GeForce Titanium Z Graphics Card - $3999
Intel i7 Extreme Edition Hexacore CPU - $1000
Misc. components to wrap things up nicely - $500
4K @ 60 FPS - Priceless. For everything else there's MasterCard™

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol, try more like north of $2000 for the surrounding infrastructure at least.

Even now, knowing I need a new pc to start with, I can't spec anything I'd be happy with for less than $3000. And even then I might still be missing stuff, like the cooling. :cry:

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Lol, try more like north of $2000 for the surrounding infrastructure at least.
I dunno, man - you can put whatever moloch you want in the shittiest of cases, give it just about enough juice, just about enough memory, jam everything into a meh motherboard and you'll be fine. Often times $500 builds you a complete PC, here the same budget is used for misc. parts. I'm not a huge proponent of using crappy motherboards, PSU's or memory, but $500 should get you relatively good ones.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know for a fact that won't do for me. And I've been burned without fail every single time I've tried to go cheap on PC parts. Tried to go cheap on a motherboard? That thing killed so much hardware it wasn't even funny.

Tried to go cheap on a UPS? it didn't last a month before failing.

Tried to go cheap on a monitor? Constant flicker fits and then it refused to be recognized by any modern OS.

I've been burned too many times on said "cheap goods" to trust any of it. And here in this state, summers get so hot, last summer it was 105F at midnight, and 135F in the day. My ears would not tolerate the buzzsaw whine of a stock cooler trying to keep up with that shit.

Kalker3

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I know for a fact that won't do for me. And I've been burned without fail every single time I've tried to go cheap on PC parts. Tried to go cheap on a motherboard? That thing killed so much hardware it wasn't even funny.

Tried to go cheap on a UPS? it didn't last a month before failing.

Tried to go cheap on a monitor? Constant flicker fits and then it refused to be recognized by any modern OS.

I've been burned too many times on said "cheap goods" to trust any of it. And here in this state, summers get so hot, last summer it was 105F at midnight, and 135F in the day. My ears would not tolerate the buzzsaw whine of a stock cooler trying to keep up with that shit.

You should try using this.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ah yes, the price of quality and refinement. :tpi:

Beautiful 4K Monitor - $1000
GeForce Titanium Z Graphics Card - $3999
Intel i7 Extreme Edition Hexacore CPU - $1000
Misc. components to wrap things up nicely - $500
4K @ 60 FPS - Priceless. For everything else there's MasterCard™

You have a $6500 credit limit on your mastercard? Nice.

Also $1200 may be a bit low for a console.

Now it is probably reasonable to assume you have a TV. However I might be inclined to throw one on top for this little exercise.
Getting a second controller (more than two player offline play is dead)
Getting online for say two years considering you pretty much have to pay.
Normally I try not to for these exercises but if I assume this is on top of needing a PC to do things with.

I was also having a look at this 4K business**. Pixels pushed wise it does not seem that much worse than a three monitor or 3d setup so the crazy graphics card might be overkill. However if we start looking at actual specs for the monitor, as far as most gaming types are concerned where 60fps (come on motion blur, you can get there) and low latency are concerned, it gets worse. Indeed I pretty much came to the conclusion that for games it is pointless right now*. Would love one three for programming and CAD though.

*turn based strategy would be good though.

**I read more but http://tiamat.tsotech.com/4k-is-for-programmers and http://www.tested.com/tech/pcs/459878-dude-dont-get-dell-4k-monitor/ pretty much say it all.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There is a phrase along the lines of "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" and, as this little event is but another demonstration in a long line of them, I am unable to join 'em. Kill it at the source is perhaps a method of beating 'em though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    T @ Texasauras: SOLILOQUY