• Total voters

guicrith

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Almost every android game has endless iap,ads.
The games are not platformers,puzzlers,shooters,rpgs and adventure games there endless runners,logo namers,bird flingers,business managers and crap collectors.
I am starting to think that ROMs are the only real games on android.
The purpose of this thread is to find real games for android not mass produced crap that takes every opportunity to steal your money.
This is my list please add to it.

cordy,cordy2
helium boy
frozen bubble
loco roco midnight carnival
retroarch(emulator)
gunman clive
minecraft
star defender 4,3
super tux
world of goo
rayman jungle run
super brothers sword and sworcery
grand theft auto 3
Sonic 4 Episodes I & II

The games can be
paid
on or off play store
ROMs(that are compatible with retroarch)(please dont just list any rom only list if you really like the game and think it would fit in this list)
They cannot have
iap (unless just to buy full game(like cordy2))
repetitive and pointless(click the button til your finger falls off,run endlessly,shoot as many birds as possible)
ads,harassment

Thank you and please help out.

Chocolina

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Short answer is that there's pretty much NO console grade/quality games on the Android/Play Store. The big reason being that the touch screen is the basic and only control option for most people out there, even with rooted devices.
Because the ease of cheap cash-ins and freemiuim, most of the play store is flooded with simple games or clone games. Thats not to say that you still can't find some lovely gamin experiences on Android though.

I'm running a Nexus 7 32GB, and here are a list of games that I bought, red ones being ones I regretted, green ones that I thought were essential, plain ones being ok... I will include pay-apps only, because anyone can download free. I'm not including ALL the games I've bought, because even I've liked games I bought like Dungeon Village or whatever, theres still a dozen free games just like it, which makes it generic mobile game.

Granny Smith
Asphalt 7
Cordy
Riptide GP
Mini Motor Racing
World of Goo
Final Fantasy III
Mass Effect Infiltrator
Order and Chaos Online
Horn
Dark Knight Rises
iBlast Moki 2
Great Big War Game
Rayman Jungle Run
Zen Bound 2
Plants vs Zombies
Need for Speed Most Wanted
Super Brothers Sword and Sworcery
Nova 3
Another World
The Bard's Tale
Minecraft
Survivalcraft
The Room

Games in Red were'nt bad, they either suffered from poor touch controls or didn't keep me interested enough to play any more than a few levels. I Bought Cordy, and 4 levels later I was BORED. Asphalt 7 is a solid racer once you find controls you're ok with. Its just $1 and you get tons of racing cups to play through and theres online multiplayer. Horn is pretty much compared to Zelda, but a little less sophisticated. Rayman Jungle Run is the most important app I've ever bought. Its controls are questionable at 1st, but its fun, gets harder later, and has recieved many updates including additional worlds/levels. Its the best $3 ive spent on the Play Store. Plants vs Zombies for obvi reasons, even if license check is super annoying with EA. The Bard's Tale is the closest thing you get to Console-like as it plays alot like Baldur's Gate, but the full-game can take up nearly 3GB or More. Minecraft was ok, but Survivalcraft is superior to Minecraft on Android. The Room being my newest purchase. Its basically a series of puzzleboxes. Its over way too quick if youre used to logic puzzles.

And Re-Volt got an HD upgrade for Android, though i havent tried it.

I'd recommend people looking for quality Android games, should buy Rayman, The Room, Asphalt 7, The Bard, Survival Craft.

If you're looking for old games ported to Android, checkout Another World, Grand Theft Auto 3 and Vice City, Re-Volt, Worms 2, Touch Detective, Sonic CD, Monkeyball 2, Final Fantasy III, Metal Slug 3, Chrono Trigger, Jet Set Radio, Crystal Defenders, Final Fantasy 1 and 2, Prince of Persia.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Max Payne is surprisingly playable (they've added a heaping of auto aim). GTA3 and Vice city look nice but the touchscreen controls dont really work IMO.

Reckless racing (2) and reckless getaway are pretty decent driving games. Swords and soldiers is a (kinda) tower defence game, really fun and kept me playing to the end.

Humble bundle (http://www.humblebundle.com/) often do humble android bundles. They're worth keeping an eye on as they often have some good games and you get the android and PC/Mac/Linux versions (if they exist) also.

Reactions: SoupaFace

Jayenkai

Makes Games
Trophies
Website
AGameAWeek.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The main issue here is development time vs commercial ability.
Piracy is rife on Android, it's insane. Companies aren't willing to spend time developing big-bucks games for a target audience that has such a bad reputation. It's one of very few markets where the piracy grossly outweighs the sales. It's overboard, and getting worse, as more and more people buy phones that are compatible with their friend's game collections!

Google's trying to curb it, and the rebrand to GooglePlay seems to be oddly helping things a little, but it'll take some time before everyone takes the hint, and starts buying games instead of grabbing multi-gig torrents filled with APKs.

As a single developer example, all my Android games are free, whereas most of my iOS ones are PayFor. I tend to spend more time on iOS games because of this, so they usually end up being of a higher quality.

There's also the whole complication of such varied resolutions and rotations and other things. They're difficult to keep track of, hard to code for, and when the end result will be mostly piracy, it's no surprise that the Big Devs are being scared off.

You can find all my games on my seperate thread. They're probably not what you'd call "Console".... unless your console is an Atari2600!

I strive for playability over graphics, mostly because I KANT DREW GUDLY, and avoid all types of IAP or even Ads. Anything that takes the player away from the play is a bad thing, IMO.

guicrith

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please remove horn,asphalt 7,need for speed most wanted and all others with iap.
This thread is meant to be a place where you can find games without corporate crap.
(off topic)And piracy is not the issue the gba had the supercard the ds the r4 and the wii homebrew channel they all have great games without iap.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Please remove horn,asphalt 7,need for speed most wanted and all others with iap.
This thread is meant to be a place where you can find games without corporate crap.

Is it just that you have never see in application purchases done right or do you have a fundamental dislike of the concept?

Chocolina

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why don't you ask a mod to remove it for you, because I'm not editing my post for the reason that you don't like In-app purchases.

In app Purchases are greedy, are corporate (WTF does that even mean, really), and most of all, in most cases, they keep games either FREE to play, or so cheap, that you take petty amoounts of money like a $1 for granted.
I will NOT remove Asphalt 7. Asphalt 7 is a damn-fine mobile racing games. I've played and beat the ENTIRE game without a single purchase other than the 25 cents I paid up front for the game when it was on Sale. Yeah, you can pay insane lots of money for minimal shortcuts, but you don't HAVE to make these purchases. Leave them to the people who have more money than what they're know what to do with, they're funding the game to the point that keeping the entire app at one-measly-fucking-dollar.

I WILL NOT remove Horn, because much like Asphalt 7, you don't need to purchase shit to enjoy and play the entire game, and the experience you get with horn is A WHOLE DIFFERENT STYLE in the way of Android games. Lets not forget here that the ALTERNATIVES are Angrybirda, farmville, and temple runner clones.

I won't remove Need for Speed Most Wanted. I highlighted it in red, and people need to know to stay away from a shitty game that looks good.

IAP and Freemiuim are annoying, but they're RESPONSIBLE for most of the best games on the Play store, and are usually incredibly cheap or free. Go to DSi's or 3DS Shop... I CHALLENGE you to find better bargains. You think eShop and DSiWare are "quality"? Fucking shit, even DSi has cheap-looking crap games like Cut the Rope marked up at like $9. They have a collection of Angry Birds games on 3DS that started at $40 on 3DS, but was worth $4 on Android. Games that fucking look awesome, sound great, and are fun to play like Dark Meadow are FREE.

I mean if you want "console" quality games on Android that DOESNT have an in-app purchase, then you should just buy yourself a console, or emulate them on your Android, because you're NOT going to find them when nearly 99% of all games on Android are practically $3 and under. Only Square Enix appears to have the balls to make their games cost $20, and those games really arent that great.

Like I said, if you don't like it, then tough. get a mod to delete my posts... Not like you're going to find many "Console" quality games in the 1st place, and even less chance that they wont have some form of IAP or freemiuim systems in place. Considering the types of games I'm getting at "free" or the price of a soda, I have no regrets.

Go look into any arcade where games are $1-$2 just for a 2 minutes or less play time, and re-evaluate the worth of Android games. Also I re-read your 1st post and googled the games Ive never even heard of... Frozen Bubble?! Gunman Clive?! Supertux?! Thats "console quality" to you? Really?

Reactions: Deleted-236924

guicrith

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not trying to be mean.
I dont care if the list stays but I wont add (pay to cheat)iap games to my list.
I just havent seen them done right buying extra levels,full game or different game modes are fine its pay to cheat that is wrong.(if you cant win just cheat its immoral and corrupt)

D

Deleted-236924

I am not trying to be mean.
I dont care if the list stays but I wont add (pay to cheat)iap games to my list.
I just havent seen them done right buying extra levels,full game or different game modes are fine its pay to cheat that is wrong.(if you cant win just cheat its immoral and corrupt)
So what if others decide to 'cheat' instead of playing the game?
Does it magically make your own game experience crap or something?

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont really see the reason why the hate towards the more casual games
the platforms best games are pretty much all casual based

guicrith

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is okay if others cheat (not in multiplayer) as long as corporations dont profit from it and harass you to do it.
I dont hate casual games I hate games that will do anything to get money.(mostly casual games angry birds,cut the rope,temple run,all zynga games(horn is not casual but has iap))

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nobody forces you to make microtransactions - you just get the option to do so. Hell, I've played tons of Jetpack Joyride and never bought any coins.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Nobody forces you to make microtransactions - you just get the option to do so. Hell, I've played tons of Jetpack Joyride and never bought any coins.
Not to mention they're not even required to enjoy the game, and a good majority of these games are all single player, so who gives a fuck if it's pay to win anyways if it doesn't give you an advantage over anyone?

guicrith

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because it is corrupt and most games with it will ask you to do it.
If was not invasive it would be fine but theirs not a small button on the main menu theirs a giant button on the pause screen,main menu and during play.(angry birds mighty eagle,powerups)
And manipulative ones like real racing 3 witch wont let you have main game functions without paying multiple times.

Chocolina

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then I'm sorry for my tone. Just dismissing a good game because of how it models its financing seems rather condescending to me.

And I ask if you've ever played the games you singled out. The three you singled out don't intrude you with constant offers to buy more of something. For one thing, Asphalt 7 only asks you to pay when you want a card you either can't afford or need to unlock with the in-game currency and stars you unlock. And the races already earn you enough money that "taking a shortcut" doesn't seem the least bit appealing to the final cup. Like seriously... you don't need to really upgrade a car until Cup 6 or 7, and by that time you would have already saved millions in cash, and by Cup 8, each 1st place victory gets you MORE money than a $2 in app purchased would get you.

I never played much of Need for Speed due to its only tilt controls.

And FYI, Rayman Jungle Run does have an in-app purchase of $2.50 for more skins, so you might as well take that off your list.

You say you've never seen IAPs done right, but in my experience, as annoying as they are, they're never required to play the entire game. Much like a Free to Play MMO that only charges $$$ for premiuim items. And since F2P has exploded in the MMO community, I don't think IAPs are going anywhere. Of course in some free games, the difficulty of a game explodes exponentially without the aid of IAPs, but those are often facebook-game clones. I don't need my game suggestions in your list, but what I did list, IAPs or not, are games that come closer to "console quality" than 85% of the other games on Android.

guicrith

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I have played asphalt 7 and need for speed.
Rayman jungle run does not have pay to cheat you get something fair and useful for your purchase.

iluvfupaburgers

FUPA Luva
Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
you got gameloft games which are clones but still pretty well done for mobile games. you also have chaos rings 1,2 and omega. and rockstar games like gta vice city, gta 3 and max payne. need for speed, minecraft ( which isnt as good as pc or console). need for speed. i found glu games are really good for being all freemium games

Chocolina

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you're drastically underestimating the amount of money it will cost a n00b to avoid a few minutes worth of work. You act as if Iap's somehow "break" a game, and therefore not fit to be considered quality. But it is your list. I just hope you're not trying to make some sort of public "essentials" list for the public to go by and not mentioning Android's best cheapest and free games because god-forbid those games put in systems to help finance themselves.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [louder cricket sounds]