Console Hacking Timeline

gamecaptor

R.I.P. Densetsu. Legends never die!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The recent developments with the Wii U being “hacked” has got me thinking about the time lines in a consoles life when it was hacked. I think it would be interesting to put together a simple chart for history’s sake. In order to do this there would need to be some guidelines established.

First, I am qualifying “hacked” as loading backups. I realize that launching homebrew is truly what opens up “hacking” on a console (the natural progression is homebrew opens the door for launching backups). However launching homebrew was not possible until the sixth generation of consoles (and really it was only the Xbox as the PS2 could only load backups). If we go back in time to older generations of consoles the word “hack” really just meant you could load up a copy of a game, be it on the device directly or from a foreign device.

Second would be to determine what the first solution for this was, whether it be software or hardware and which hardware solution if that be the case. And more importantly when this solution was available for consumer consumption. In the case of the Wii U, while it has {apparently} been hacked, it’s not available to the masses, so in my opinion it is nothing more than proof of concept at this point.

Using the Wii as an example. It was released in Nov. 2006. I THINK the first mod chip for the Wii (WiiKey?) was released somewhere in 2007; this is the information I would be looking for.

Racking my brain on early consoles it’s hard to get timelines right. Anyone remember when the Game Doctor was release for the SNES J

Anyways, just something I was thinking about putting together as I think it would be interesting to see the history.
Cheers

GC

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
now that's better ;)

don't use a user defined color or size if you apply it to all the post.
Colors is useful to emphasis words, make presentation, titles, etc., but it's hard to read for users if you put all the post in a specific color.
Using the default font and color is better, as the forum will automatically set the color according to the user's theme.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I cant tell what my favorite N64 game is