Hacking Confused CFW Switch Lite Owner

cubes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello Community (Switch Noob here),

finally I was able to buy a Switch Lite with a modchip installed so I can get into Homebrew and game modding!

And it all looks really promising, this is how it arrived:

IMG-6440.jpg

Sadly the eBay seller wasn't too talkative and his responses were very delayed so I gave up asking them any more questions.

What he did tell me is not to use the OFW (I suppose that stands for Offical Firmware) at all and simply use the emuMMC for online play. And that is what doesn't make much sense to me.

On the one hand I want to re-download my Eshop purchases and play them online, on the other hand I want to try out Homebrew Applications. Should I really do that all together on emuMMC?

Isn't it safer if I leave the emuMMC for Homebrew offline and use the OFW for Online play and purchases?

I hope that someone on here can help me to understand why the seller could have suggested me on leaving the OFW untouched and using the emuMMC for everything instead. Is there any logic that I am unable to understand behind it? Could it be that if the OFW isn't set up or used, the chance of a ban is lowered? I just really want to get behind this.

Can I safely set up the OFW and login into my Nintendo account on there if I won't use it for anything else?

Thanks for any reply!!

Last edited by cubes,

Deleted member 514389

GBA Connoisseur
Trophies
Website
f.ls
XP
Country
Germany
If you use Incognito (or perhaps 90sDNS) with the EmuNand portion, there shouldn't be a problem.

The only thing to try is to eject the microSD and try to boot the OFW.. to see if it works.

Word of warning:

SX OS is pretty much no more.
You'd have to use Atmosphere if you want to utilize the latest updates.

I'm only on a V1 myself, so perhaps others are more knowledged in the SX Trinket / Modchip.

Good Luck.

PS:
If the previous owner hampered with the Switch's Sysnand... then his concern would be understandable, as that'd pose a banrisk...
Something to keep in mind.
There is such a state as "too clean" that could have a ban as result.

But I'm not sure if you can find out on what 'legality' state your sysnand is...

Last edited by Deleted member 514389,
Reactions: cubes

cubes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello, thanks for your reply! I just checked, it boots fine without the SD card into the stock firmware.

I read about SX OS, it seems the seller updated it to Atmosphere already.

If you use Incognito (or perhaps 90sDNS) with the EmuNand portion, there shouldn't be a problem.

But then I won't be able to use the Eshop or play online, right?

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Homebrew alone won't get you banned. Plenty of people use Atmosphere CFW online just fine. What really gets you banned is PIRACY. If you plan to pirate games then absolutely keep your EmuMMC CFW offline at all times and play only legit, purchased games online using your Official Firmware. The original use for emuNAND was to keep your official firmware at a lower version (thus not capable of going online) in case a software exploit is discovered while having access to an up to date firmware (emuNAND) for online play. It wasn't meant to be an offline buffer for piracy but that's what people use it for today. Since you're hard modded though you don't need to keep your official firmware out of date. So, if you plan to pirate ignore what the seller said. If you don't plan to pirate than what he said is fine.

cubes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks for your answer! I don't plan on doing anything related to piracy, but what I wanted to try is game modding. From what you said it seems to be better to keep my emuNAND offline and do the modding there, and using my stock Firmware for my normal stuff.

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your answer! I don't plan on doing anything related to piracy, but what I wanted to try is game modding. From what you said it seems to be better to keep my emuNAND offline and do the modding there, and using my stock Firmware for my normal stuff.
Modding is fine actually. Installing something like the Linkle mod for Breath of the Wild or a 60FPS mod + overclock for Monster Hunter Rise, etc is fine. The only game I'd be weary of modding and going online with is Animal Crossing since it does integrity checks on some of its own files. No ones been banned yet for breaking these integrity checks but better safe than sorry.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello Community (Switch Noob here),

finally I was able to buy a Switch Lite with a modchip installed so I can get into Homebrew and game modding!

And it all looks really promising, this is how it arrived:

IMG-6440.jpg

Sadly the eBay seller wasn't too talkative and his responses were very delayed so I gave up asking them any more questions.

What he did tell me is not to use the OFW (I suppose that stands for Offical Firmware) at all and simply use the emuMMC for online play. And that is what doesn't make much sense to me.

On the one hand I want to re-download my Eshop purchases and play them online, on the other hand I want to try out Homebrew Applications. Should I really do that all together on emuMMC?

Isn't it safer if I leave the emuMMC for Homebrew offline and use the OFW for Online play and purchases?

I hope that someone on here can help me to understand why the seller could have suggested me on leaving the OFW untouched and using the emuMMC for everything instead. Is there any logic that I am unable to understand behind it? Could it be that if the OFW isn't set up or used, the chance of a ban is lowered? I just really want to get behind this.

Can I safely set up the OFW and login into my Nintendo account on there if I won't use it for anything else?

Thanks for any reply!!
No, you have a big misconception. It is not necessarily safer to leave the emuMMC offline because that was never its intended purpose. In fact, emuMMC is meant to be used online in certain cases. For example, users who have patched units cannot go online with their sysMMC because the exploit they use is tied to a lower firmware version. Therefore they have no other option but to go online with emuMMC and the developers of Atmosphere were very aware of this limitation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Her boob is the cause of all this current shit :angry: