Hacking Confused about Firmware and Kernel

DSiTek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep reading that AKAIO is firmware. I was under the impression that AKAIO is actually the Kernel (Loader). Firmware is actually what is on the AceKard. I have a 2.1. Is there Firmware for this to work on my DSi XL? I have AKAIO 1.8 and 1.8.1 and it wont start on my unit. Anyone have a clue?

windwakr

Trophies
Website
windwakr.github.io
XP
Country
United States
You need an AK2i to play on your DSi. And it has to have the 1.4.1 firmware upgrade.

And no, AKAIO is not firmware.

So, if you want to use an AK on your DSi XL, you have to buy an AK2i. If you only have the DSi XL, then you need the place you're buying it from to upgrade the firmware for you, because you can't upgrade the firmware unless you can run the card.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
DSiTek said:
I was under the impression that AKAIO is actually the Kernel (Loader). Firmware is actually what is on the AceKard.
Your impression is correct (though I would call it an OS rather than a loader, but same difference) and the AK2.1 is not compatible with the DSi (hence why there is an AK2i) so everything is still working as it should be...you just need a new flashcart for your DSi.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
AKAIO (and Wood and EOS and all the other menus) are commonly, but mistakenly, referred to "Firmware". This is incorrect, just like calling game files "ROMs" is wrong, since ROM is Read-Only Memory (i.e. the game on a retail cart is stored on Read-Only Memory).

There is a firmware to update AceKard2is to work on DS 1.41 which can be found here:
http://www.acekard.com/download/ak2/ak2ifw_update_141.zip
This has NO effect on AKAIO and if AKAIO 1.8.1 isn't working, you're doing something wrong. Try formatting your card with the Panasonic MicroSD Formatter, then put a fresh copy of AKAIO onto your MicroSD.

You have a 2.1, not 2i.

DSiTek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for confirming i'm not on crack. I have seen too many posts and listing that AKAIO is the FIRMWARE for the acekards. I'm like no. Anyway also thank you for clarifying the 2.1 card as DS and DS Lite only. Now I understand why it doesn't work LOL Ok... onto a 2i or a SuperCard.

twiztidsinz: Yes. I'm aware I have a 2.1 card as I stated in my OP.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1