Hacking Confused about 3DS compatibility

jman9912

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been doing a bunch of reading and research but i'm a bit confused. What I red on the FAQ here, is that you can't use a flash cart I'm really hoping that I can use a flash cart as that's the only reason I bought it..

I had a DS when they were still new and I bought a flash cart that didn't have any firmware restrictions..I just put the cart in and played. I know at one point the 3DS was limited, but i'm hoping that's no longer the case...

Any information is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
Depends on what firmware your system is on. If you're on 4.1-4.5, then you can grab a 3DS Flashcard Like Gateway or MT-Card.

There's also that "Sky3DS" card that apparently supports the latest firmware, but we haven't seen any user reviews yet. Best hold off on purchasing that thing until something's actually confirmed.

jman9912

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know how the flash carts work. I've used them in the past for the original DS's. I'm just getting back into it. I'm seeing a LOT of conflicting information about the 3DS flash carts though..My question is, do you have to be on 4.1-4.5? Mine was on 7 when I bought it. I've read that the R4 Gold and a few others support up to 9.0 I've also read that none of them support past 4.5 so i'm trying to figure out what information is correct and what isn't.

I know that they were limited when the first 3ds flash carts came out, i'm just hoping that it no longer is and the conflicting information i'm finding is just old.

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
I know how the flash carts work. I've used them in the past for the original DS's. I'm just getting back into it. I'm seeing a LOT of conflicting information about the 3DS flash carts though..My question is, do you have to be on 4.1-4.5? Mine was on 7 when I bought it. I've read that the R4 Gold and a few others support up to 9.0 I've also read that none of them support past 4.5 so i'm trying to figure out what information is correct and what isn't.

You must be on 4.1-4.5 to run 3DS roms, regardless of what any website says. R4's site is talking about their "R4 Gold", not their "R4 Gold Deluxe". The deluxe version plays 3DS roms.

Reactions: MrFahrenheit39

jman9912

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That really sucks..Here is an example. Almost every website says this:

R4i SDHC 3DS RTS is the latest flashcart of r4i-sdhc.com.It's compatible with all the 3DS(XL)/2DS firmware number (include 9.0.0-20,9.2.0-20) and DSi (include 1.4.5) directly .You can play all the ds games by R4 SDHC 3DS RTS perfectly.R4i SDHC 3DS RTS has enhance firmware which has a good performance of RTS and RTG.It's one of the most popular card on the current market.
http://3ds-flashcard.com/home/8-r4i-sdhc-3ds-rts-2013.html

And this one says it supports up to 7.2:
http://www.r43ds.org/categories/R4-3DS/

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
That really sucks..Here is an example. Almost every website says this:

R4i SDHC 3DS RTS is the latest flashcart of r4i-sdhc.com.It's compatible with all the 3DS(XL)/2DS firmware number (include 9.0.0-20,9.2.0-20) and DSi (include 1.4.5) directly .You can play all the ds games by R4 SDHC 3DS RTS perfectly.R4i SDHC 3DS RTS has enhance firmware which has a good performance of RTS and RTG.It's one of the most popular card on the current market.
http://3ds-flashcard.com/home/8-r4i-sdhc-3ds-rts-2013.html

And this one says it supports up to 7.2:
http://www.r43ds.org/categories/R4-3DS/

Those are DS flashcards, not 3DS flashcards.

jman9912

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, I see. That really sucks..I pretty much wasted my money then.

Huntereb- They are 3ds flash carts...You don't even have to go to the website to see that. It says it right in the url...

mech- I see what you're saying..That really sucks. So is there any hope of ever getting my 3ds to play 3ds roms?

So what is it about the Sky3ds carts? Nobody here has tried one?

MrFahrenheit39

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, I see. That really sucks..I pretty much wasted my money then.

Huntereb- They are 3ds flash carts...You don't even have to go to the website to see that. It says it right in the url...

mech- I see what you're saying..That really sucks. So is there any hope of ever getting my 3ds to play 3ds roms?

So what is it about the Sky3ds carts? Nobody here has tried one?

The Sky3ds apparently works by mimicking a 3ds card. It'll work on the current 3ds firmware, but you can only put a total of 10 games on it ever (apparently).

jman9912

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hunter- so the carts will work on a ds and dsi game system as well? I was under the impression for the 3ds you had to get one made for the 3ds and vice versa.

MrFahrenheit- That sounds interesting..If it works, it works. By 10 games ever, do you mean 10 on one SD card at one time? Or the first 10 games you load on it are the only ones that it will ever run?

Sorry guys just trying to get some clarification. There is so much conflicting and misinformation floating around....I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to buy one of the carts and hope they have an update to allow 3ds roms...or if I should just wait to buy a cart or sell the 3ds altogether..

MrFahrenheit39

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hunter- so the carts will work on a ds and dsi game system as well? I was under the impression for the 3ds you had to get one made for the 3ds and vice versa.

MrFahrenheit- That sounds interesting..If it works, it works. By 10 games ever, do you mean 10 on one SD card at one time? Or the first 10 games you load on it are the only ones that it will ever run?

Sorry guys just trying to get some clarification. There is so much conflicting and misinformation floating around....I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to buy one of the carts and hope they have an update to allow 3ds roms...or if I should just wait to buy a cart or sell the 3ds altogether..

There's been lots of confusion around the Sky3ds card, but from what I've gathered it's only 10 games ever. The flashcard costs an upwards of $100, but considering 3DS games are $25+ a piece you'd still be making off well ( 25x10 = 250 whereas sky3ds is ~90$ + an sd card totals to around $130)

Compared to a Gateway, it's pretty limited since a Gateway can do an infinite number of games plus homebrew support. If it's your only option though, it wouldn't be too bad. I'd wait a little longer for some more reviews to surface on the card .

jman9912

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I found some information saying the sky card remembers the first 10 games and that's it. You have to buy another one if you want to play different games..That sucks. I may just buy a cheap card for now to play ds games and wait for another card. I just wanted to get 2 3ds's so my girlfriend and I could play games with each other when we're at home and bored (which is not often, we both work all the time.)

I only played 30$ or the 3ds's as they were broke and I fixed them..Wasn't trying to put a bunch of money into it, so the Sky3ds is definitely out.

Damn that sucks. At least we can still play DS games though..

Seraphiel

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
According to sky3ds you can only play 10 games per microSD card and Flashcart, meaning if you'll want 11 games you'll need to buy another microSD and another Flashcart, not to mention there is no homebrew or eshop compatibility on those, best wait till someone hack it, in the prices you'll need to pay might as well sell your 3DS and buy a new 4.1-4.5 on ebay/known stores that have those and then Gateway/MT-card whichever you feel is best for you(Gateway gives most options these days among the Flashcarts)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto