Hacking Configurable USB Loader

Bomb Bloke

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.strategycore.co.uk
XP
Country
Tested the latest one. I've now been able to rip the last of my games. :)

... with the exception of the second discs for the two-disc ones. Not sure what to make of it... If I try to rip the second discs with the first ones still on the SD, it errors out saying they're already ripped. If I move the images to my computer and then try the second discs it just skips to the offer to get covers. If I move a different, regular game to my computer and attempt a re-rip, that works fine.

I reckon the folder name thing is fully sorted, and can't really think of any obvious reason why these ones are still failing.

Thanks for your work, guys! :)

LWares87

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If there are "certain" NGC games that you can't copy with CFG Loader MOD... use CleanRip, then use either GCReEx or DiscEx to convert your games.

Edit: just to ask... would it be possible to fix the NGC Game transferral from HDD to SD countdown timer and percentage status, please? As it constantly loops, when it "eventually" finishes games do work though.

There should be a option to delete Incomplete games, if there isn't enough room on the SD and to be notified in advance, instead of it freezing at the end.

Also... like it was already mentioned with another loader (whatever one it is), would it be possible to add NGC multi-game disc adding and splitting?

By the way, I'm now currently using v70r32-beta4 with DML v1.4b (will update signature soon).

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Tested the latest one. I've now been able to rip the last of my games. :)
... with the exception of the second discs for the two-disc ones. Not sure what to make of it... If I try to rip the second discs with the first ones still on the SD, it errors out saying they're already ripped. If I move the images to my computer and then try the second discs it just skips to the offer to get covers. If I move a different, regular game to my computer and attempt a re-rip, that works fine.
I reckon the folder name thing is fully sorted, and can't really think of any obvious reason why these ones are still failing.
Thanks for your work, guys! :)
In my limited experience, the second disk on multi-disk games has the same GameID with a 7th digit tacked on the end. Maybe CFG is only programmed to use the first 6 assuming they would all be that way. That's my guess, anyhow.

AbdallahTerro

da KiNG
Trophies
Website
ccabz.wordpress.com
XP
Country
I see some work is being done with cfg-mod-beta.
can I suggest or request the ability to see Gamecube games on USB:\FAT32 along with Wii games on USB:\NTFS partition since the CFG is not able to see multiple partitions yet.

Edit: One other thing - maybe a wish; Is there any chance of adding banner support in the near future?
since the sources are now out (Wiisystem menu player & USBL-GX 1166)

Thanks and keep up the good work :)

Bomb Bloke

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.strategycore.co.uk
XP
Country
If there are "certain" NGC games that you can't copy with CFG Loader MOD... use CleanRip, then use either GCReEx or DiscEx to convert your games.
Thanks, I did try CleanRip, and it picked up whatever I threw at it. Didn't generate a "sys" folder though (not sure if it's needed).

Would like to see CFG Loader handling it all though, and I'm not sure GCReEx is working 100%. Last night, having otherwise finished my dumps, I set it up to process my collection and it scrubbed Animal Crossing down to less then 30mb - surely that can't be right? StarFox Assault, which for whatever reason seems to lack the usual padding GC games have, scrubs as larger then the dumped ISO... I've yet to test whether they actually work through DML, scrubbed or not.

Do CleanRip dumps need to be converted for use with DML or will they work as-is? Are there any advantages to using GCReEx over DiscEx, or vice versa?

In my limited experience, the second disk on multi-disk games has the same GameID with a 7th digit tacked on the end. Maybe CFG is only programmed to use the first 6 assuming they would all be that way. That's my guess, anyhow.
I did see a note about that while trawling through the DML thread last night. Figure I'll do some tests and try to pull the list of GameIDs involved.

I'm assuming at this stage that CFG Loader won't actually differentiate between first and second discs even if I do rip them?

LWares87

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, I did try CleanRip, and it picked up whatever I threw at it. Didn't generate a "sys" folder though (not sure if it's needed).

Would like to see CFG Loader handling it all though, and I'm not sure GCReEx is working 100%. Last night, having otherwise finished my dumps, I set it up to process my collection and it scrubbed Animal Crossing down to less then 30mb - surely that can't be right? StarFox Assault, which for whatever reason seems to lack the usual padding GC games have, scrubs as larger then the dumped ISO... I've yet to test whether they actually work through DML, scrubbed or not.

Do CleanRip dumps need to be converted for use with DML or will they work as-is? Are there any advantages to using GCReEx over DiscEx, or vice versa?
Anything that is copied using CleanRip comes out as 1:1 full and complete.

In order to use your disc dumps with DML, you can convert them with either DiscEx (old) or GCReEx (new). GCReEx is recommended, as it's supposedly faster. Although... it's up to you, how you which method that you wish to use.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Since what GCReEx does is take the files out of the disk image and put them into a folder it makes it less work for DML to get at them (runs faster) but each individual file takes a little bit more space to store it on the SD card as opposed to the disk image. One way or another the disk padding is gone (like with DiscEX) so it COULD be smaller but in some games that fill up the whole disk with files, it could actually be a little bigger. If you suspect GCReEx isn't extracting all the files you could always go ahead and copy it over to the SD and test it (no harm in another 30 mb of space).
I did see a note about that while trawling through the DML thread last night. Figure I'll do some tests and try to pull the list of GameIDs involved.
I'm assuming at this stage that CFG Loader won't actually differentiate between first and second discs even if I do rip them?
I wouldn't know about that. I don't have that much space on my SD card but I have ripped my games and now have them converted sitting on my computer so I noticed the difference in GameID's looking at them there. I haven't actually tried sticking those ones back onto the Wii to check.

Bomb Bloke

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.strategycore.co.uk
XP
Country
Ah, so GCReEx/DiscEx aren't converters so much as extractors/repackers - the ISO format is the same. That makes more sense. :) I didn't realise DML could boot folders, so I'd been unpacking then repacking each game just to get rid of the garbage data, but if doing away with ISOs is faster then I'll do that.

I should've been more specific about StarFox - it gained 200mb even after repacking, way more then slack space should account for. I think it's a dual-track disc or something as it dumped as less then 800mb, but when I look at the disc surface area I can clearly see a track division line about halfway across the radius. :huh: Dunno, will have to mess with the disc a bit more.

On testing, it appears that Animal Crossing is indeed supposed to be less then 30mb in size and seems fully functional with that tiny little image. :mellow:

I tried ripping those second discs through CleanRip, but as far as I can tell they have six-character IDs. Mind you, CleanRip tends to corrupt the file table on the SD (have to recover some of what it dumps via ChkDsk), so I'm not entirely sure I trust what it's showing me... But I tried extracting the results via GCReEx and taking a peek in the boot.bin, and that also only contains a six character ID.

Still, CleanRip appends a "-disc2" onto the ISO filename (without bothering to clean the string for the next disc, which gets "-disc2-disc2", and so on...), so there must be some identifier in there somewhere and I'm looking in the wrong place. I doubt it's using the checksum as it tells me it can't download the redump.org database on each launch.

LWares87

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't worry about the checksum, as long as it's dumped the game to SD properly that's all that matters. The average size for a 1:1 NGC disc image is usually 1.4GB.

With DiscEx, the argument needs to be set in order to compress it, but the disc image is just put in a folder. Although, with GCReEx it just compresses and extracts the image completely.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I'm not sure if your using GCReEx to extract the files and THEN to pack them back into a disk image but I understand GCReEx also has a way to repack the disk image without all the padding in one step (correct me if I'm wrong). DiscEX with the -c option does just that, it repacks it without the garbage so it makes it smaller (All I think it does without any options is basically copy the original disk image into a folder with some other files that I THINK are extracted from it but I'm not really sure about that last part.)

There's also an option with DiscEX to "32k align" the files in the disk image (needed for audio streaming games). I'm not sure exactly what that means but it sounds like something that could make the disk image a little bit bigger.
I don't know if GCReEx does anything similar (or how it works with audio streaming at all for that matter) but that could also be an explanation of any size differences.

R2-D2199

Trophies
Website
softwii.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
can I suggest or request the ability to see Gamecube games on USB:\FAT32 along with Wii games on USB:\NTFS partition since the CFG is not able to see multiple partitions yet.

Edit: One other thing - maybe a wish; Is there any chance of adding banner support in the near future?

Multi partition support is not easy ;)
When DML support and NAND emulation is completed I will have a look on it.
Or just move the DML games to the NTFS partition.
tried it. did not help

I just tested it and it works fine for me.
Did you place the GC games in "ntfs:/games" ?

AbdallahTerro

da KiNG
Trophies
Website
ccabz.wordpress.com
XP
Country

Multi partition support is not easy ;)
When DML support and NAND emulation is completed I will have a look on it.
Or just move the DML games to the NTFS partition.
tried it. did not help

I just tested it and it works fine for me.
Did you place the GC games in "ntfs:/games" ?
Yes GC games are now on both fat32 and ntfs partition, from what I've read before it works when everything is on fat32 partition. but when all on ntfs partition only wii games show up along with GC games on SD.

SanGor

Witchhunter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the repack feature of GCReEx is only ment for editing the ISO.
GCReEx aligns all files to 32K when building an ISO from the extracted files, that's why some games get larger.

If you want to compress your ISOs use DiscEX -c, if you want to use the extracted file format use GCReEx -x.

The -a (32K align) option of DiscEX is ONLY to fix INCORRECTLY shrinked/compressed ISOs, you don't have to use it on audio streaming games as long as the dump was done correctly.

Reactions: 1 person

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
the repack feature of GCReEx is only ment for editing the ISO.
GCReEx aligns all files to 32K when building an ISO from the extracted files, that's why some get games get larger.
If you want to compress your ISOs use DiscEX -c, if you want to use the extracted file format use GCReEx -x.
The -a (32K align) option of DiscEX is ONLY to fix INCORRECTLY shrinked/compressed ISOs, you don't have to use it on audio streaming games as long as the dump was done correctly.
cool
so a correctly dumped DiscEX -c shrunken OR GCReEx extracted audio streaming game still works or they still have to be a full sized disk image?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They should've just made it a movie at 50 minutes
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    No from Paramount Plus or whatever it is
    +1
    Psi now has access to every streaming and cable channel out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Eh I'd rather just download and delete is it already up on paramount?
    Yeah it's on now
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why are most new south park episodes half hour specials?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Psionic Roshambo, let me get a Netflix account I've always been nice to you
    +1
    I made a honey pepper glazed turkey breast for dinner turned out pretty bomb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We can Netflix and chill
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Nvm not half hour, but hour long
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Normal south park episodes are already half hour
    Got 2 free Xumo boxes they work pretty good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm happy to get anything most series don't make it pass 6 seasons
    Except Stars and Encore those are being a bitch lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I may consider that onn pro box finally a media box with type A ;O
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, cuz the companies don't want em to
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No it's revenue and demand south park could argue has a bigger audience than family guy about the same
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Family guy is worth 300mill south parks worth 1Bill according to the interwebs
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, probably cuz family guy is more disliked compared to south park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It just does the same formula south park can press buttons without going overboard
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And bc most of the family guy budget is spent on the voice actors rather than on the animation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Southpark could spend 30k on a animated dick and people would laugh at it
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    lol one prescription to Lizzo
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    who is lizzo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn