Hacking Configurable USB Loader

fig2k4

Trophies
Website
www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk
XP
Country
LOL @ LxTrix

Have you seen the change log of any software release? There's always bugs to fix.
tongue.gif

Tristar

Trophies
XP
Country
Oggzee

It would appear I have wasted some of your valuable time.

The USB drive I was using failed today and, with a new drive, both v48 and 48fat work perfectly.

It seems the failing drive was the cause of the freezes all along!

Thanks for looking into this for me and, once again, apologies for wasting your time
blush.gif

**EDIT

Well not entirely wasting your time - both versions work fine providing I do not have an SD card in the slot.

With an SD card - even an empty one, both versions freeze at the splash screen
huh.gif

VincetOmnia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello all. Bit of a bummer that my first post with GBAtemp should be with a problem, but up til now everything has been fine.

I have recently updated my sisters Wii to 4.2E and then applied the usual suspects to get USB loaders working. Unfortunately, the loader isnt loading. It looks for a drive with the 30 second timeout, but doesnt count equally. As in,it takes 3 seconds to count each second. I'm at a real loss as to what I have done wrong. I know it isn't a problem with cfg-loader per se, as I can use the same sd card in my modded wii (with 4.1E still) and it loads fine.

Here is a list of what I have done to my sisters Wii:
1. Virgin Wii, updated to 4.2E through NUS.
2. Using bannerbomb, applied bootmii to boot2. Also, installed DVDX and HBC. FORGOT TO DO A NAND BACKUP BEFORE I STARTED MODDING!
3. Used Trucha bug restorer 1.1, downgrade IOS15, patched IOS36, restored IOS15.
4. Used Any Title Deleter, removed IOS222,223,249&250.
5. Installed waninkoko cIOS38,rev15 to IOS36.
6. Installed Hermes cIOS222 to 38 merged 37, cIOS 223 to 38 & CIOS 202 to 38 merged 60.
7. Used DOP-IOS to patch IOS70.
8. Installed Homebrew Browser, then MPlayerCE through HBB.
9. Downloaded cfgloader v48, copied to SD card as sd://usb-loader and sd://apps/USBLoader.
10. Installed USBLoadercfg_Nloader using WAD Manager v1.5.
11. Plugged in USB HDD, started Wii, got as faras mounting HDD where it times out.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what might be wrong, please reply. There are a couple of differences between our two Wii's. My Wii is still running 4.1E, and doesn't have any of the Hermes cIOS's. Other than that, they are the same.

Syman

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This may be a n00b question but......

When trying to download covers via the menu i am getting "cannot create folder sd\usb-loader\covers/3d"

Any ideas on how to sort this out or a link to a thread would be great.

Sacohen9665

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Vattu

Trophies
XP
Country
developers, I assume you already have info about the general fix for the new protection (like in NSMBW or Avatar). However, here's some info about that.

BCA Protection: read relocated data of BCA protection at offset 0x100 in .iso or offset 0x8100 in .ciso.

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Tristar said:
Oggzee

It would appear I have wasted some of your valuable time.

The USB drive I was using failed today and, with a new drive, both v48 and 48fat work perfectly.

It seems the failing drive was the cause of the freezes all along!

Thanks for looking into this for me and, once again, apologies for wasting your time
blush.gif

**EDIT

Well not entirely wasting your time - both versions work fine providing I do not have an SD card in the slot.

With an SD card - even an empty one, both versions freeze at the splash screen
huh.gif
Now that is a really weird problem.
Now i will have again to ask you for more details:
Does that mean that the USB drive was not faulty but the problem is related to SD card?
Does using v48b2 with the new usb drive and the SD card inside work fine?
Only v48 with an SD card freezes?
Can you re-format the SD card and retry?
Do you have all your configuration on usb?
Can you re-try the debug=1 and v48 with SD card inside?
I want to understand if this is the same or a different problem?
Because with the info you gave I don't know anymore if the problem lies in the loader or usb drive or sd card or your wii
biggrin.gif

The change between v48b2 and v48 was so small that i don't understand how could it cause any kind of crashing:
* External ehcmodule improvements (by WiiZ)
* Fixed titles.txt with custom game ids (proper ID6 lookup)
I mean, there is always a possibility that i broke something, but it looks unlikely...
Let me know, it would be good to get to the bottom of this.

Sacohen9665

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bloodlust said:
Sorry, I am a late bloomer and a newbie to cfg usb loader. As I really don't have the patience to browse thru the last 30-50 pages or so (estimated since FAT32 support was released), I hope someone can answer some quick queries :

1) Since FAT32 does not support >4gb partitions, how do I convert SSBB to a WBFS file? From the FAT support FAQ, I see that the game is split into gameid.wbfs, gameid.wbf1, gameid.wbf2 etc.. so does it mean that this loader can access parts of the file(s) in sequence when needed during the game?

Yes

Bloodlust said:
2) How's the compatibility so far? AFAIK, only cfg usb loader supports FAT & WBFS support right? Only hermes IOSes can be used to for FAT support?

I have 120 games that I converted from ciso's to wbfs and have not had any problems.

Bloodlust said:
3) When formatting a USB device (HDD/thumbdrive) with FAT32, is the default cluster size assigned during formatting usable or must it be 32kb (for compatibility) I believe the default is fine.

QUOTE(Bloodlust @ Nov 29 2009, 01:01 AM) 4) There's a "cfg48-fat.dol" in the full 48 package. So is this a specific dol for running games in the FAT partition?

Yes it is.

QUOTE(Bloodlust @ Nov 29 2009, 01:01 AM)
5) Using wbfs_file.exe + wbfs_file Simple Gui, is the conversion from WBFS back to ISO (for burning to DVD) reliable?

I have not tried it for that, but I haven't heard of any issues either.

withnailuk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Love this loader, plays everything i have thrown at, one thing i would like thoe is a .wad so i can have this as a channel any one no where i could find one?? thanks.

pccfatman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bnm81002 said:
what are the differences between your application and this application(http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=188...t=0&start=0?
Fig has written a fine interface and the app looks promising, personally I found his app to have a nice user interface. I couldn't get most functions to work however because the app is currently in development and there are still some bugs preventing certain things. I found that I needed to read the tutorial to get started with it as I was a bit confused when I first loaded it, but that was quickly overcome.
He has implemented 2 extra options for splitting files 1mb and unlimited, I have not.
His apps current version supports covers, mine does not. (In progress)
His app supports multi-language mine does not.
His supports ciso mine does not.
His uses librarys to perform the conversion and transfer functions. Mine is a GUI for wbfs_file.exe (Written by Oggzee)

In the end, his app will probably be faster because the functions are written into the program and mine simply calls another app to do it's dirty work. I do like the interface I have chosen better but that is just preference. I am not a programming genius, I just downloaded VB2008 and started clunking my way through it. I am not aware of any bugs in my current version, although I'm sure I missed something. No program EVER has all the bugs worked out. I'm sure the code i've written is a mess, but it works
smile.gif

At the time of this posting mine works his does not
tongue.gif

Nah really fig, keep at it, it looks nice

casper666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pepxl said:
Here's 2 Forwarder channel's based on the USBLoader GX channel for CFG Loader as i got bored of the static one's and prefer animated channels

AS ALWAYS WITH WAD'S I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY BRICKS, ANYONE INSTALLING ANY WAD SHOULD HAVE EITHER BOOTMII/BOOT2 AND/OR PRELOADER BEFORE INSTALLING ANYTHING DANGEROUS ON THEIR WII'S, SO IF YOU DONT HAVE ANY SAFETY NET AND YOU BRICK............BLAME YOURSELF FOR YOUR OWN IGNORANCE

I have tested these and they are 100% working on sysmenu 4.2E

Here's a image of what they look like
inchannel.png

outchannel.png
CFG USB Loader - FDCL
Title: CFG USB Loader
Blocks: 17
ID: FDCL

Forwarder Channel With Narolez's IOS argument boot.dol

First from SD card and then from USB drive

fat:/apps/usbloader_cfg/boot.dol
fat:/apps/usbloader/boot.dol
fat:/apps/usb_loader/boot.dol
fat:/apps/usb-loader/boot.dol

To pass the custom IOS argument to the USB loader, hold the following button after selecting start and the Wiimenu :

Hold 1 and 2 OR A and B: force ios=249
Hold 1 OR A; force ios=222-mload
Hold 2 OR B: force ios=223-mload
Hold nothing: no force, loader default

CFG USB Loader ID - IDCL

Title: CFG USB Loader ID
Blocks: 26
ID: IDCL

The difference with this Forwarder Channel is it has CFG Rev 48 as an internal dol and loads this if no boot.dol is present in:

If anything needs changing lets me know

Mediafire Folder

creds

Narolez for his boot.dol
GX team for their forwarder
milcoi for his switch lol
wiipower for his ID forwarder source
oggzee & usptactical for their great app

thankyou for this cfg usbloader id - idcl.wad
i loved the style work like charm
ps (wii 4.1u)(loader rev 48)(usb wbfs no fat not yet)(cios 249)

EeZeEpEe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
withnailuk said:
Love this loader, plays everything i have thrown at, one thing i would like thoe is a .wad so i can have this as a channel any one no where i could find one?? thanks.
Do you want an embedded channel or a forwarder channel? There are plenty of forwarders out there.

pdawg17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
VincetOmnia said:
Hello all. Bit of a bummer that my first post with GBAtemp should be with a problem, but up til now everything has been fine.

I have recently updated my sisters Wii to 4.2E and then applied the usual suspects to get USB loaders working. Unfortunately, the loader isnt loading. It looks for a drive with the 30 second timeout, but doesnt count equally. As in,it takes 3 seconds to count each second. I'm at a real loss as to what I have done wrong. I know it isn't a problem with cfg-loader per se, as I can use the same sd card in my modded wii (with 4.1E still) and it loads fine.

2. Using bannerbomb, applied bootmii to boot2. Also, installed DVDX and HBC. FORGOT TO DO A NAND BACKUP BEFORE I STARTED MODDING!
3. Used Trucha bug restorer 1.1, downgrade IOS15, patched IOS36, restored IOS15.
6. Installed Hermes cIOS222 to 38 merged 37, cIOS 223 to 38 & CIOS 202 to 38 merged 60.
9. Downloaded cfgloader v48, copied to SD card as sd://usb-loader and sd://apps/USBLoader.
11. Plugged in USB HDD, started Wii, got as faras mounting HDD where it times out.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what might be wrong, please reply. There are a couple of differences between our two Wii's. My Wii is still running 4.1E, and doesn't have any of the Hermes cIOS's. Other than that, they are the same.

You probably plugged the HDD into the wrong USB port...make sure it is plugged into the port closest to the edge of the wii...

bnm81002

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pepxl said:
Here's 2 Forwarder channel's based on the USBLoader GX channel for CFG Loader as i got bored of the static one's and prefer animated channels

AS ALWAYS WITH WAD'S I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY BRICKS, ANYONE INSTALLING ANY WAD SHOULD HAVE EITHER BOOTMII/BOOT2 AND/OR PRELOADER BEFORE INSTALLING ANYTHING DANGEROUS ON THEIR WII'S, SO IF YOU DONT HAVE ANY SAFETY NET AND YOU BRICK............BLAME YOURSELF FOR YOUR OWN IGNORANCE

I have tested these and they are 100% working on sysmenu 4.2E

Here's a image of what they look like
inchannel.png

outchannel.png
CFG USB Loader - FDCL
Title: CFG USB Loader
Blocks: 17
ID: FDCL

Forwarder Channel With Narolez's IOS argument boot.dol

First from SD card and then from USB drive

fat:/apps/usb_loader/boot.dol
fat:/apps/usb-loader/boot.dol

To pass the custom IOS argument to the USB loader, hold the following button after selecting start and the Wiimenu :

Hold 1 and 2 OR A and B: force ios=249
Hold 1 OR A; force ios=222-mload
Hold 2 OR B: force ios=223-mload
Hold nothing: no force, loader default

CFG USB Loader ID - IDCL

Title: CFG USB Loader ID
Blocks: 26
ID: IDCL

The difference with this Forwarder Channel is it has CFG Rev 48 as an internal dol and loads this if no boot.dol is present in:

If anything needs changing lets me know

Mediafire Folder

creds

Narolez for his boot.dol
GX team for their forwarder
milcoi for his switch lol
wiipower for his ID forwarder source
oggzee & usptactical for their great app

can you make one for USB instead of fat loading for the 2nd forwarder channel? I haven't converted my drive to FAT yet because I'm in the process of buying another drive? thanks

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
VincetOmnia said:

The steps you followed seem OK (Although I assume step 5 means you used IOS36 to install cIOS38 rev 15 to IOS249). Are you using the same drive on the two Wiis? I have seen that slow count up sequence on my Wii before, and my usual solution is to power cycle the hard drive and try again.

Syman said:
This may be a n00b question but......

When trying to download covers via the menu i am getting "cannot create folder sd\usb-loader\covers/3d"

Any ideas on how to sort this out or a link to a thread would be great.
Make sure you installed everything from the Cfg package. I.e., copy all contents of the InSDRoot folder from the v48 .zip release into your SD card's root drive.

QUOTE(bnm81002 @ Nov 30 2009, 05:58 AM)
can you make one for USB instead of fat loading for the 2nd forwarder channel? I haven't converted my drive to FAT yet because I'm in the process of buying another drive? thanks
The references to fat there have nothing to do with where the games are stored. Those are if the loader itself is installed on the hard drive (which can only be done on a FAT partition). The forwarder will work regardless of what type of partition you are using for the games.

redia

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
LxTrix said:
"by fig2k4: Wii Backup Manager (not recommended until the bugs are fixed)"

quote from first post

LxTrix,
version 0.2x was buggy.
but the new release 0.3 is fine.
he did not edit it in the firt post because he wanted to have more test done before making it obvious.

I was part of the alpha testing for this version.
and it works really well.
most of the bugs that were found have already been fixed.

JFYI...

R

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
LxTrix said:
"by fig2k4: Wii Backup Manager (not recommended until the bugs are fixed)"
quote from first post
Indeed, but it looks like version 0.3.* fixed all the data corruption issues of the previous versions, but i take it fig2k4 is not confident for a release yet since he hasn't updated his first post with a 0.3 release, but i expect that to be any day now and when he does, i will remove the not recommended note.
Until then i think the simple wbfs manager gui based on wbfs_file is probably a more stable alternative.

edit: ah redia beat me in posting
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo