Hacking Configurable USB Loader

Saiylem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't get CFG to save any settings or selected cheats. I've tried to Google this but I couldn't find a fix. Any ideas?

*Edit* After using the Configurator, settings still reset to default.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Saiylem said:
I can't get CFG to save any settings or selected cheats. I've tried to Google this but I couldn't find a fix. Any ideas?

You will never see the cheats be saved if you go back to the manager. It does not read saved .gct files, it only creates them.

As for your settings, they should save. What file did you change with the Configurator? Do you happen to have the write lock switch on the SD card turned on or is the Cfg base directory write protected? Can you save images for covers OK?

Sacohen9665

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm soft modding a Wii for a friend and I'm having a problem.

Whenever I set the defualt ios to 222-mload with the following ios = 222-mload the system will not see the wbfs folder with the games.

It actually says it can not find any partition even though it is launching the loader from the FAT32 partition (the only partition) on the USB drive. I don't have an SD card in the slot so I know it is not loading from the SD slot.

If I remove the following line ios = 222-mload or even make it a comment line by doing this # ios = 222-mload it will launch and load fine.

This happens whether I enter the string in manually in notepad or if I use configurator and it happens on the SD card or USB drive.

I'm using v70 and modded the wii with ModMii.

It is a 4.3U System and a 500GB WD My Book.

I have a similar setup on my own system and it works fine.

Any suggestion are appreciated.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Sacohen9665 said:
I'm soft modding a Wii for a friend and I'm having a problem.

Whenever I set the defualt ios to 222-mload with the following ios = 222-mload the system will not see the wbfs folder with the games.

It actually says it can not find any partition even though it is launching the loader from the FAT32 partition (the only partition) on the USB drive. I don't have an SD card in the slot so I know it is not loading from the SD slot.

If I remove the following line ios = 222-mload or even make it a comment line by doing this # ios = 222-mload it will launch and load fine.

This happens whether I enter the string in manually in notepad or if I use configurator and it happens on the SD card or USB drive.

I'm using v70 and modded the wii with ModMii.

It is a 4.3U System and a 500GB WD My Book.

I have a similar setup on my own system and it works fine.

Any suggestion are appreciated.
Hmm, strange. Are you sure 222 is properly installed? What happens if you add the option to meta.xml instead of config.txt (use the Configurator to do so)? If nothing else works, a possible workaround is to use d2x to launch the loader and then select ios=222-mload in the per-game options. If even that doesn't work, it's safe to say that Hermes' IOS just doesn't like your drive.

QUOTE(icebrg5 @ Aug 19 2011, 09:34 AM) Any way to turn off the admin lock permanently so you don't have to unlock it each time you start CFG?
No, but why would you want to? The only thing that is locked at startup by default (other things are optionally locked) is the games marked as hidden.

Sacohen9665

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
Hmm, strange. Are you sure 222 is properly installed? What happens if you add the option to meta.xml instead of config.txt (use the Configurator to do so)? If nothing else works, a possible workaround is to use d2x to launch the loader and then select ios=222-mload in the per-game options. If even that doesn't work, it's safe to say that Hermes' IOS just doesn't like your drive.

If I don't set ios 222 as the default the loader launches fine and games that I have set as 222 in the game options wil load and play fine. So 222 seems to be installed and working properly, just not as the default ios.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
icebrg5 said:
Isn't installing/deleting locked on startup?
Only if you have disable_install=1 and disable_remove=1 or if you have simple=1 in config.txt. If you have set the dsable options to 1, then those features are unlocked when you enter the admin code, but they are permanently unlocked otherwise and the disable options all default to off (meaning not disabled and hence enabled).

Sacohen9665 said:
QUOTE(Dr. Clipper @ Aug 18 2011, 08:42 PM) Hmm, strange. Are you sure 222 is properly installed? What happens if you add the option to meta.xml instead of config.txt (use the Configurator to do so)? If nothing else works, a possible workaround is to use d2x to launch the loader and then select ios=222-mload in the per-game options. If even that doesn't work, it's safe to say that Hermes' IOS just doesn't like your drive.

If I don't set ios 222 as the default the loader launches fine and games that I have set as 222 in the game options wil load and play fine. So 222 seems to be installed and working properly, just not as the default ios.
And when you put the option in meta.xml? Putting it there is equivalent to the -222 versions of Cfg in that it automatically starts with 222 instead of starting with 249 and then switching to 222 part-way through startup.

Saiylem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
Saiylem said:

You will never see the cheats be saved if you go back to the manager. It does not read saved .gct files, it only creates them.

As for your settings, they should save. What file did you change with the Configurator? Do you happen to have the write lock switch on the SD card turned on or is the Cfg base directory write protected? Can you save images for covers OK?

I'm not trying to get it to read a .gct file. When I select a cheat and go back to the menu to start the game, the cheats selected reset to default values.

I saved all files using the Configurator. I do not have the switch locked. The folder was read-only, but after removing that, the problem persists. Images work just fine.

AdamBrunt

Trophies
XP
Country
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this (or whether it should go in the hacking forum) but ...

For a while now my Wii has been unable to play retail and backup DVDs. The game channel either comes up with the "?" after the 2 disc icons have been spinning or goes to the black "an error has occured..." screen.

If I try to install from the DVD drive in CFG Loader, it starts to spin the retail disc but after a few minutes comes back with "Error (ret = -2)"

It is a hard (wiikey) and soft modded launch Wii that does everything else fine. It is currently running 4.2E but has only been updated through homebrew and not via Nintendo.

Anyone got any ideas ?

blooddevil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ei guys, im new to this things, i played some games already and they work fine with the default ios248 but now i wanted to play metroid prime trilogy and i cant seem to make it work, i think i have all cios needed and up to date, i even used pimp my wii to search for any missing ios and even installed d2x v6 with base56 on ios249 but it still doesnt work. after i select one of the 3(metroid 1 2 or 3) and selecting difficulty the screen stays black for 4 or 5 seconds and then the console resets. i always use block ios reloading and i even tried using alt dols but it does the same thing, the screen goes black and the console resets.

plz, someone help me, im getting desperate

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Saiylem said:
I'm not trying to get it to read a .gct file. When I select a cheat and go back to the menu to start the game, the cheats selected reset to default values.

I saved all files using the Configurator. I do not have the switch locked. The folder was read-only, but after removing that, the problem persists. Images work just fine.
You didn't understand what I meant about cheats. What the cheats selection in Cfg does is create a .gct file with the selected cheats when you choose to save. It does not store your selections elsewhere. Thus, whenever you go back to the cheats selection screen, you will always see an empty list as it has no idea which ones you selected last time. As long as you have Ocarina switched on and the correct hook type selected (which may require trial and error to find), then the cheats you selected the last time you created a .gct file should work in the game.

As for settings, try the following. Add the option gui=0 to config.txt. If the loader now defaults to the text-based console screen and won't allow you to go to the GUI, then you know that your config files are working. It is possible you have only tested with options that don't work with the new GUI Menu (e.g., confirm_start) or perhaps options which are overridden if they also appear in settings.cfg (e.g., gui_style). If this test still doesn't work, I'm not totally sure what's going on, especially if the loader is able to download and save images.

AdamBrunt said:
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this (or whether it should go in the hacking forum) but ...

For a while now my Wii has been unable to play retail and backup DVDs. The game channel either comes up with the "?" after the 2 disc icons have been spinning or goes to the black "an error has occured..." screen.

If I try to install from the DVD drive in CFG Loader, it starts to spin the retail disc but after a few minutes comes back with "Error (ret = -2)"

It is a hard (wiikey) and soft modded launch Wii that does everything else fine. It is currently running 4.2E but has only been updated through homebrew and not via Nintendo.

Anyone got any ideas ?
There are two possibilites. Either the Wiikey is interfering with the loading process (which is a known problem) or your drive laser is dead. Consider disabling the Wiikey and see if that fixes things. In any case, it's not something we can fix in Cfg and we won't be able to help further.

QUOTE(blooddevil @ Aug 20 2011, 05:32 AM)
ei guys, im new to this things, i played some games already and they work fine with the default ios248 but now i wanted to play metroid prime trilogy and i cant seem to make it work, i think i have all cios needed and up to date, i even used pimp my wii to search for any missing ios and even installed d2x v6 with base56 on ios249 but it still doesnt work. after i select one of the 3(metroid 1 2 or 3) and selecting difficulty the screen stays black for 4 or 5 seconds and then the console resets. i always use block ios reloading and i even tried using alt dols but it does the same thing, the screen goes black and the console resets.

Ensure you have the game set up to use a slot with d2x in it to load the game and that the per-game option for ios_reload is On or Auto. You may have previously saved per-game options differently. Also, delete the game and rip it from the disc again as there have been many times in the past where the CIOSes did not properly rip dual layer discs and your rip may thus be bad.

blooddevil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
blooddevil said:

Ensure you have the game set up to use a slot with d2x in it to load the game and that the per-game option for ios_reload is On or Auto. You may have previously saved per-game options differently. Also, delete the game and rip it from the disc again as there have been many times in the past where the CIOSes did not properly rip dual layer discs and your rip may thus be bad.

srry, im a little new to this, i didnt understand when u said "Ensure you have the game set up to use a slot with d2x in it to load the game". i installed d2x v6 on ios249, base 56, when i load Configurable USB Loader i select the game, go to options and put ios:249 and block ios reload: on
do i need to do something else?

maybe its a bad rip like u said
frown.gif

Sacohen9665

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
Sacohen9665 said:
Dr. Clipper said:

And when you put the option in meta.xml? Putting it there is equivalent to the -222 versions of Cfg in that it automatically starts with 222 instead of starting with 249 and then switching to 222 part-way through startup.

I never got to try that. I had to deliver the system to my friend and everything was playing fine with ios 249 as d2x.
Thanks for the suggestions though.

StaplerGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been ages since I've touched my Wii, and it's not like I'm actually having any compatibility issues, but I feel as though I should probably update to the actual latest version of this thing. Currently running version 60-220, on an embedded channel, i.e. I'm not using a forwarder. I can't find a link to an up-to-date embedded channel, and I don't want to use a forwarder. Any help?

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
StaplerGuy said:
It's been ages since I've touched my Wii, and it's not like I'm actually having any compatibility issues, but I feel as though I should probably update to the actual latest version of this thing. Currently running version 60-220, on an embedded channel, i.e. I'm not using a forwarder. I can't find a link to an up-to-date embedded channel, and I don't want to use a forwarder. Any help?
You're probably not going to have much luck unless you make one on your own. Why do you want to use an embedded channel? They're inferior to a forwarder in pretty much every way.

Maxxeh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys, I have the loader working almost perfectly. The backups all work fine, but the covers are not showing.

They're definately in the correct folder, as I autodownloaded them with wiibackupmanager, and into the relevant folders. I then used the cover wizard which confirmed they were all in the correct place ( I:\usb-loader\covers..etc)
When I load usb loader on the wii however, all I get is blank covers with the game codes on the front.

The game codes link up to the covers, and they show as linked on the pc (on the cover wizard), just not the wii!

What do I do to get the damn thing working?
unsure.gif

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Maxxeh said:
Hey guys, I have the loader working almost perfectly. The backups all work fine, but the covers are not showing.

They're definately in the correct folder, as I autodownloaded them with wiibackupmanager, and into the relevant folders. I then used the cover wizard which confirmed they were all in the correct place ( I:\usb-loader\covers..etc)
When I load usb loader on the wii however, all I get is blank covers with the game codes on the front.

The game codes link up to the covers, and they show as linked on the pc (on the cover wizard), just not the wii!

What do I do to get the damn thing working?
unsure.gif
Is it possible your base directory is on the SD card? You can find the base directory listed on one of the info pages in the menus, or just check to see if you have an sd:/usb-loader/config.txt file. If that is the case, you either need to move the folder over to the USB or use the covers_path option in config.txt to point to the hard drive folder (i.e., covers_path=usb:/usb-loader/covers).

Also, which set of covers did you download? You want the 'full' ones for the GUI.

Maxxeh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have downloaded all the covers (2d,3d,disc, and full)

and I have nothing at all relating to usb loader on the SD card. would that cause an issue?

I also have:
covers_path = usb:/usb-loader/covers
covers_path_2d = usb:/usb-loader/covers/2d
covers_path_3d = usb:/usb-loader/covers/3d
covers_path_disc = usb:/usb-loader/covers/disc
covers_path_full = usb:/usb-loader/covers/full

and nothing that I can see pointing to the SD!

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Maxxeh said:
I have downloaded all the covers (2d,3d,disc, and full)

and I have nothing at all relating to usb loader on the SD card. would that cause an issue?

I also have:
covers_path = usb:/usb-loader/covers
covers_path_2d = usb:/usb-loader/covers/2d
covers_path_3d = usb:/usb-loader/covers/3d
covers_path_disc = usb:/usb-loader/covers/disc
covers_path_full = usb:/usb-loader/covers/full

and nothing that I can see pointing to the SD!
Well, that should work, provided your drive is formatted as FAT32. If it is NTFS, you should be using ntfs:/ instead of usb:/, or you should not have those lines at all as they are the default anyway.

The only other thing I can suggest is using Cfg itself to download the images for a game and see where they go.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.