Configurable USB Loader is the shiz

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by irondoom, Apr 2, 2013.

Apr 2, 2013
  1. irondoom
    OP

Member irondoom GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I had a Wii with HBC for a few years now. Never tried to run backups on it before yesterday, mainly just played homebrew and emulators. Last night decided to try playing some backups over USB. I installed all the prereqs for usb loader gx (latest stable versions of everything) and then I tried running a backup game from a USB drive I have. No bueno, USB loader GX could not even find the USB drive.

I thought maybe I'll try another filesystem (the drive was formatted to NTFS) so I reformatted to WBFS , copied a backup over, still didn't work. So I thought, maybe it's the drive. It was 2.5 internal HDD inside an enclosure. The compatibility list said the enclosure I have works with USB Loader GX but still I thought maybe something was up with the actual HDD I was using in the enclosure.

I next tried a 8GB USB stick I have, formatted to FAT32 (again thought why not try this file system). Copied a backup over, still no go! Double checked with HBC, the USB stick was being recognized in HBC, but not with USB loader GX.

After wasting about an hour screwing with different drives, different file systems, etc. I finally just grabbed the dol for cfg usb loader and installed that to my HBC. Fired up cfg usb loader, and it instantly recognized my USB stick and launched the game flawlessly. Tried again with my HDD enclosure, and once again it recognized it no problem and was able to see all the games I had installed and play them.

Anyway just posting this in case any other noobs like me are having trouble with USB loader GX. I'm not sure why the majority guides and posts I saw use USB loader GX. Even most of the posts in this forum seem to be about USB loader GX.

Save yourself some time and trouble and use CFG USB LOADER! Plus it has the top awesomest splash screen while loading :)

2. Geren

Member Geren GBAtemp Regular

El Salvador
    cfg is pretty nice but it's kinda outdated, there are mods here and there but still I haven't seen the massive support that projects like wiiflow and usbloader gx have. You could test the beta versions of usblgx/wiiflow and see for yourself the banner and dios mios/ devolution support for gamecube loading. I haven't tried the cfg mods, but I hope they have these features as well.

3. The Real Jdbye

Member The Real Jdbye D:

Norway
    I never had problems getting USB Loader GX to work. Probably have to make sure you use the version for a cIOS you actually have installed though.

4. rcs0926

Newcomer rcs0926 Member

United States
    I like CFG Loader too. USB Loader GX has always given me problems as well.

5. irondoom
    OP

United States
    Well if USBloader GX works for you by all means use it and love it :D

I more mention this for people like me having problems with USB loader GX. Instead of wasting time trying to get it working, I think trying CFG is worth it. Takes a few minutes to install and try anyway and it solved all my issues.

I may try Wiiflow or a beta USB loader GX sometime, but I'm still not exactly clear what I am missing without it.

6. Genyus

Newcomer Genyus Advanced Member

Netherlands
    Honestly don't really know the differences, came here as a complete n00b the first time trying to softmod my Wii and ended up with USB Loader GX (no idea how). Simply followed the tutorial I had back then and it's working fine ever since, so no real reason for me to switch either.

I guess you just gotta go with what you want, they all basically do the same and if one doesn't work then of course you should try the other.

7. irondoom
    OP

United States
    I think so, if one works for you and you are happy stick with it :) Given that they are all very similar, I do recommend based on my experience that if you are having trouble with one, just try one of the others first before you go through lots of hoops, trying different configurations, buying new drives, etc to get it working. Since they are all about the same, you might solve your problem in a minute or two rather then hours/days or putting $$ into different drives.

I think the only thing that would get me want to switch now would be if someone mad a mod/plugin to support playing games over the network via SMB share.

Kind of like that connectx plug-in for freestyle dash on xbox.

8. shortz1994

Member shortz1994 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    WIIFLOW all the way. (can't lie i use gx once in a blue moon). with wiiflow your missing a all in one loader.(yes there is pl4). pretty cover flow for all your games/movies and music. (was just added to wiiflow before newer update on easter.). all i can say is check all the loaders out.

9. Maxternal

Member Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Costa Rica
  10. irondoom
    OP

United States
  11. matthi321

Member matthi321 GBAtemp Regular

Denmark
    can also reccomend configurabel usb loader alot, i first used usb loader gx and dios mios botter to run my gc games of hdd. but like every third time i would launch a gc game i was stuck at black screen. then i switched gfg loader, and now i have only tried like 2 times to get stuck at black scree:)