[CONCEPT] Castlvania-based MMORPG

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by EliteKill, Jul 9, 2009.

Jul 9, 2009
  1. EliteKill
    OP

Member EliteKill GBAtemp Regular

United States
    OK, so I've read around the Internet, and I found out that with a RAM expansion (ea EZ FLASH 3-in-1) the DS has some decent online capabilities. Some time ago this guy made a pretty cool (although simple) MMORPG for the DS that showed the world that it can be done. Now, what if we took an engine, like the on used for Castlevania titles (I liked OoE, but any will do) and hack it and midfy it into an MMORPG. Now, I have no clue in coding, and I'm just suggesting this as a concept, but imagine people running around huge dungeons like the room in Castlvania games, fighting monsters to gain exp. Than, 2 people decide to duel it out. Skills can even be some Boss attack effects and etc.

Concept Image:
    [​IMG]
    Here we see a lvl 31 player called Sweeti_26 fighting a lvl 2 Zombie whil having a weapon equipped (Axe), a skill (Fireball), an advanced skill (3 Fireballs) and a hotkeyed item (Potion). We also see 2 players (XxXSomaXxX and luvGirl010) dueling, while luvGirl seems to have some kind of buff (the auroa) in effect.

Another Concept Image:
    [​IMG]
    Here we see Sweeti_26 again, this time alone and against a boss in what seems like a dungeon. She is a higher level and has what seem like better weapons and skills.

What do you think?

2. Shardnax

Member Shardnax GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The computer is a better outlet for multiplayer beyond a few people, that said, a lot of the people here with any knowledge of how to do anything tend to take suggestions poorly. And the main focus is on rom hacking ('undubbing'- as lame as it may be, translating, etc..) rather than developing; if all the groups got together they could probably translate games pretty quickly, or maybe create one of merit.

3. EliteKill
    OP

United States
    DS+extra RAM (or DSi) can have some decent online... About the hacking, it doesn't have to us that engine. The game can just use sprites/style/gameplay of the Castlvania games...

4. Shardnax

Member Shardnax GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I just mean the number of players that cna be online at once. This would be cool to see happen, but enh.

5. EliteKill
    OP

United States
    Alright, I see your point. Maybe the server can be devided into channels with a number of player on each "channel"...

Anyways, I added another pic, this time of a dungeon boss.

6. OneMichael

Newcomer OneMichael Advanced Member

Canada
    The game itself is certainly entirely possible, but few developers have looked into the possibilities of online play. There are different levels of balance between client-side and server-side computation, but the DS can only handle a small bandwidth. It would require a certain amount of research to implement.

At best, the game would be limited to a few players. It would be more like several-person online play than massively-multiplayer.

7. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    but, at max, the ds can achieve to 50kbps. (in links)
    almost dail up speed.
    pretty good for this mmorpg ur talking about

well...not max.
    but i have achieved that speed [​IMG]

8. EliteKill
    OP

United States
    Well, then it could be a FWPORPG (Fairly Well Played Online RPG) XD