Computer restarts off Randomly

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by zeromac, Feb 11, 2011.

Feb 11, 2011
  1. zeromac
    OP

Member zeromac Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY

Australia
    Well I'm in quite a mess here because my computer just restarts itself randomly without giving ANY notice at all. After it restarts it always comes up with the message "Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown."
    It all started after i installed a pirated version of the Sims 3; so i uninstalled it and deleted everything relating to it. I'm pretty sure it isn't a virus because I've scanned my whole computer with Avast and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Seriously, I have no idea what to do and this shit is getting annoying and I'm worried this random forceshutting down is damaging my computer

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Possible causes for random shutdowns - virus, power failure (from the wall), power failure (PSU voltage drops or surges), power overdraw (when the system doesn't get enough power from the PSU), power phasing failure (motherboard VRMs), "other" hardware failure (e.g. CPU/RAM miscalculation, although that typically results in BSoDs, not shutdowns).

3. stormwolf18

Member stormwolf18 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    try to disable automatic restart on failure, so'll be able to see what is the error message.

Right click on my computer, properties.

In the System Properties window, click on the Advanced tab.

Locate the Startup and Recovery area and click on the Settings button.

Locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.

4. zeromac
    OP

Member zeromac Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY

Australia
    It dosent give a error message, thats the thing. It worked fine for ages but then i installed the Sims 3 on my computer. My brother has the exact same computer as mine and he also installed the Sims 3, no problems whatsoever for him

5. Legaia

Banned Legaia Banned

Brazil