Computer Raid Setup?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by TylerHartman, Jul 10, 2015.

1. TylerHartman
    OP

TylerHartman GBAtemp Regular

Feb 7, 2015
    United States
    Hey guys I am considering setting up my to computers to work like a raid setup. I've seen it done with two rasberry pies were they run as one. But my question is can you set up two computers to run as one? Also they are both the same exact model.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    You want a whole hot backup/redundant computer setup? That is a fairly serious project if so, and most would not do it these days in favour of doing something with virtual machines which have auto switching if you do a proper setup (and it is proper virtualisation and not just virtualbox). If virtualisation is not your thing then there are options, most of the times I have ever done anything like this it is actually done from the outset and the computers have hardware (usually some kind of high performance network) to properly tie them together. You may also have fun with software licensing but that one is all you.

Or do you mean you want both computers to more or less have access to the same data but controlled off the same mouse and whatever? If so then I would probably point you at something like http://synergy-project.org (though if you just want to test it then http://synergykm.com/binaries/ is a better bet as they went paid software a little while back and that should be the old versions) and tell you to put things for both computers on a NAS* and pull from that.

*NAS is the most basic approach. You could do some kind of mirroring between computers, however that can get fun as you start getting into big boy setups and hearing terms like HA (high availability) and FT (fault tolerant).

3. TylerHartman
    OP

TylerHartman GBAtemp Regular

Feb 7, 2015
    United States
    Thanks for your reply!