Computer problem yeah HELP

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Gamer4life, Apr 22, 2013.

Apr 22, 2013
  1. Gamer4life
    OP

Member Gamer4life I am the Orange Gamer

United States
    So yeah my computer has been going slowly for a little while I have the asus g74sx BBK8 laptop and well i have gotten a BSOD of death before. But a week ago i turned it off after being on for like 2 days (i do this on a regular basis) went out for a little while came back turned it on and got to the desktop then BSOD. I let it do what it needed to to do then turned it back on thinking it would be fine as this has happened before. But no i get to the desktop then like one minute later BSOD again and this continues for a little while. Until the next day when i was able to get it to boot into the desktop and run at least one program at a time i.e minecraft but it did it slowly and cumbersome. After a day of this it goes back to doing the BSOD after being in the desktop for like a minute or less. So yeah im thinking wither corrupt OS or failing HDD what are your guys opinions. Maybe its something else i don't know im glad i installed Ubuntu in my second HDD when tf2 did that tux promotion as my computer runs ill say like pretty well when i run Ubuntu from my second HDD. It just doesn't wanna do anything really from my main one. So yeah do i need a new HDD and if so where is a good one cheap i want a 1 TB one at least and i want it to last and keep in mind this is a laptop so its gotta be 2.5 inches so, yeah if u know what my problem is or know a good reliable cheap HDD that goes in a laptop link me please.

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    ... the BSOD is an error message, and an error message is there to tell you what went wrong.

Go to C:\Windows\Minidump\ and find the most recent couple of files, upload them to some file hosting website and give us links so we can look at them and see where the trouble is.

3. Gamer4life
    OP

United States
  4. Thomas83Lin

Member Thomas83Lin Retro Gamer

United States
    Glancing at your dump's it says the crash is caused by ntoskrnl.exe(driver), but anyways the last 2 times I dealt with BSOD a bad mem stick caused it.

5. Plainscript

Member Plainscript GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Try running HDTune and look under the Health tab. :)

http://www.hdtune.com/download.html

If you see anything either yellow or red - I would suggest you backup all your data and get a new hard drive ASAP.

6. The Real Jdbye

Member The Real Jdbye D:

Norway
    This.
    I suggest running memtest86+ (easiest way is to download Ultimate Boot CD, burn it and reboot your PC and it should start), if that doesn't find any errors overnight you can pretty safely rule out any RAM failure.
    The other things to consider are driver compatibility issues, and a failing HDD. If you haven't added any new hardware lately it's probably either a failing HDD or RAM stick.

7. GreatCrippler

Member GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

United States
    Any failing hardware can cause a BSOD... Memory seems most likely in this case. Easy fix... My last random BSOD that I couldn't rundown ended up being bad onboard Firewire >.>.

8. Gamer4life
    OP

United States
    Thank you for all the responses but i don't think it wold be the ram as ubuntu runs fine from my second HDD no problems at all. Except a crash here or there from my stupidity getting used to it I cant run the hdd thing to check if my drive really is failing or not cause it wont detect my HDD even when run through WINE. SO does anyone else know a good HDD health checker that can run through linux or works in WINE. And ill still run the ram Checker just to make sure but ima run it while i sleep. And does anyone know a good HDD for a laptop 2.5 inch i should get that is at least 1TB that wont fail

9. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    All HDDs fail sooner or later. Some fail within 6 months (looking at you, Seagate) and some are still working fine after 6 years (damned WD drive just won't die). Also I've yet to see a Samsung Spinpoint fail, but I haven't had them (I've got 6) as long as my WD drives so...

Sicklyboy and NahuelDS like this.
  10. Gamer4life
    OP

United States
    Both the ones inside my laptop are WD i think

11. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    No drivers in any of those crashes. It's OS/disk corruption, or damaged hardware.

12. Gamer4life
    OP

United States
    So either re install the os or bad HDD

13. Ericthegreat

Member Ericthegreat Not New Member

United States
    Sounds like a bad stick of ram. (I could be very wrong) Your can run Memtest first (overnight).

14. Gamer4life
    OP

United States
    I will run it overnight if it detects a problems i will post it here

15. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Download factory tools corresponding to your drive, backup your Data, perform an in-depth scan followed by a Zero-Fill, install a fresh copy of the system and try again. If the BSOD's persist, the drive is dying.

16. Gamer4life
    OP

United States
    what :wtf:

17. Kouen Hasuki

Member Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Norway
    My Guess is RAM, Overheating or Hard Drive

18. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    If your HDD is indeed a Western Digital drive, you'll need the Western Digital diagnostics tool. Since using the Windows one isn't really an option for you, you'll have to use an auto-booting USB stick/CD with DOS (I linked you to FreeDOS, which is a Freeware alternative) and use the DOS version available here. Perform a Full Diagnostic, and while you're at it, you can also start a memtest. If the memtest returns errors, your RAM is at fault, but perform an HDD check just in case. If it returns a small number of errors, you can attempt fixing the issue with a Zero Fill (May require a few passes just to be sure). If a Zero Fill does not fix the issue and errors persist to pop up during diagnostics, your HDD is damaged. If your disk is not a Western Digital one, you'll need appropriate diagnostic tools (like SeaTools for Seagate drives etc.).

19. Gamer4life
    OP

United States
    So i ran the memtest86+ for almost 11 hours so i think it ran the test at least 2-3 times fully maybe more and at the bottom of the screen was pass complete no errors so my ram is fine. i tried to run this thing called gsmartcontrol from the ubunto one software center its a health test for your HDD and it ran fine on my second HDD but when i think i tried to test my first one with the problems it tried to test it but came back with a read error so im guessing bad HDD

20. Gamer4life
    OP

United States
    OK i was able to bot into windows and download and install and use hdtune thing and one section was yellow it said one sector oo my HDD is messed up so it looks like a new HDD is what ill be getting so anyone know a good reliable laptop HDD that is at least 1 TB