Computer not recognizing USB micro SD reader.

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by dan33333, May 9, 2009.

May 9, 2009
  1. dan33333
    OP

Newcomer dan33333 Newbie

United States
    I just bought a DS flashcard and the flashcard and micro SD card seem to be working fine. But when I plug the USB micro SD card reader into my computer, it doesn't recognize anything being there (ie: it doesn't even appear in 'My Computer' so I can't manage the files on the SD card.)

So if anyone has any ideas as to what the problem may be, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

2. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    trying using a microsd to sd adapter, and insert it into your computer that way, or try using another micro sd card, or another computer. you need to isolate the problem.

3. dan33333
    OP

Newcomer dan33333 Newbie

United States
    I've tried it on a different computer, and that didn't work. The problem seems to be the usb micro SD reader itself. I don't have another one, or a micro SD to SD adapter, so I guess I'll have to look into getting another one.

*Sigh* that's annoying. But thank you anyway!

4. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    I have this issue often. It could very well be, and likely is, your reader. However, it could also be that your computer resources won't allow for it to be recognized at the time; that seems to be my problem when this happens. I'm not sure what half of this shit is on my computer that's running in the background (though I've checked in ProcessExplorer and it's mostly a ton of stuff from MS), but it often causes my PC to chug. When that happens, if I have a couple of instances of FireFox open, I might have to close them and anything else, then replace my card reader back into the USB port in order for it to be recognized.

You could try that; maybe it will help.

5. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    Stock readers always suck.
    Buy a new one.

6. dan33333
    OP

Newcomer dan33333 Newbie

United States
    irpacynot, I tried shutting down as many things as I could and tried again, like you suggested, but nothing happens still. Thanks for the sugestion though, sounded like it could've worked.
    I'm just gonna have to buy another one at some point!