Computer does not boot up at all

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by ProtoKun7, Aug 20, 2010.

Aug 20, 2010
  1. ProtoKun7
    OP

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    So...yeah. Earlier my computer froze and there was nothing I could do to wake it up again, so I had to turn it off. Now, when I try turning it back on, it refuses. The power button and the power indicator both light up, and I hear the whiring of the fan, but after that there's no other sign; the screen stays blank, with no backlight and not even a command line; totally blank, and it eventually goes silent again.

I've tried putting the recovery disc in, both leaving it alone and pressing F11, that doesn't work either.

Any ideas?

2. Javier78

Newcomer Javier78 Advanced Member

United States
    When it goes silent, does that mean the computer turns off, or just the fan?

Sounds like a power supply problem, something a recovery disc won't fix. Try getting rid of all the dust and foreign material from your computer.

Worst case would be that something is wrong with your CPU. Try cleaning your fans.

3. giratina16

Member giratina16 Born This Way

United Kingdom
    Yeah my friends computer had this problem, it turned out he had too much dust in the fan which eventually blew up and killed the hard drive. Try vacuuming the back of the tower.

4. ProtoKun7
    OP

United Kingdom
    I should've mentioned, it's a notebook, so it doesn't have a tower. [​IMG]

5. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    This actually happened to me last week, had to send it back to dell who basically (I believe) triggered a start-up-repair somehow...Other than that, about the fans, yeah, even if you have a notebook, you should make sure to keep the fans pretty clean; if you're afraid to open up the notebook, then (in the future) to keep it clean you can always spray some compressed air at the vents.

They had also wanted me to reseat the CMOS battery (which was a total failure on my part)(couldn't get it reseated(big hands)) and an unwillingness to take the whole thing apart!

6. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Usually, when this happens, it has to do with some weird electricity hiccup in the laptop. You can try removing the battery and unplugging the laptop from the wall then pushing the power button to make sure that all the electricity is out of the system. Let it sit awhile and put everything back and power it up.

7. ProtoKun7
    OP

United Kingdom
    I did try removing any static last night - no help, it still won't load...as for the CMOS, we haven't tried anything with that yet. I think it is hardware though, because if there was some issue with the C:\ drive then it would get further than it is.

8. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    No clue.

No, really. My only suggestion would have been a PCI diagnostics card, but it's a laptop.

9. murkurie

Member murkurie GBAtemp Fan

United States
    sounds more like a fried mobo, I got a laptop here, compaq, that does the exact same thing, the Nvidia GPU is too blame

10. ProtoKun7
    OP

United Kingdom
    If Rydian's stumped then all is lost.

[​IMG]
    We've already sent off a message to MEDION, so we'll see what that results in. I believe it still has a warranty though.

This does of course mean I may be quiet for a bit, though I'll still be in the shoutbox at least.

11. jonesman99

Member jonesman99 GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid

United States
    something like this happened to me. so im guessing its a hard drive malfunction. Like how a virus goes through your system undetected and causes damages to your registry and processes. It probably deleted the svchost.exe that were on it, making it inoperable. So just take it to a comp repair shop and have them fix it. And after that just run daily tests on it for anything weird.

12. zeromac

Member zeromac Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY

Australia
    Take out the battery and leave it in a cool room for abit, then place it back into the laptop and start charging it.

Then try turn it on.

Reason for this is that someitmes laptop batterys overheat and shut off to avoid blowing up or melting

13. Dter ic

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    check your screens brightness setting

14. seahorsepip

Member seahorsepip GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    simple: I have same it's something in vista and 7 and maybe xp but then in sp3 =P
    its hibernation...
    ^can be turnd off in power settings

to get pc/laptop on: turn it on when you hear something turn it off by removing the power do this again and again and it will start normal!

Posts merged

P.S.
    I got a medion too with same problem the support for hibernation just sucks =P

15. ProtoKun7
    OP

United Kingdom
    Tried that a few times; I don't think it's related to hibernation. Sending another email to them now...

16. tigris

Member tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

United Kingdom
    No BIOS whines? No clicks?

17. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    BGA soldering failure, most probably the chipset (especially if it's a NVIDIA chipset). You have to send it back.

Mini PCI-e diagnostic cards are teh awzum (that reminds me that I need to get one).

18. Skyline969

Member Skyline969 MENUdo Afficionado

Canada
    Yup, sounds like the motherboard's fried. Sadly, the only way to make your computer work again is to replace it.

19. nico445

Member nico445 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    i have a Medion pc too and when it's really dusty i get the same. first time it locks up then after that no signal on my screen and only the fans work.. so maybe you just could clean it

20. ProtoKun7
    OP

United Kingdom