Gaming Computer Acting Strange

Hebon

Dabbling in the videogamagical
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lately, my computer has been acting funky. I'll start it up and some small thing will change. For example, I started up the computer and a program that normaly starts up with it (non-system essential) didn't. This happened several times, but eventually fixed itself. Just recently, when I started it up, for some reason, the graphics properties of the computer had been reset (I had the theme set to XP classic, and a custom background, but it was reset to the default theme and my background disapeared. My screen save was also reset from starfield to the WIndows XP banner.)

Now, I'm not incapable when it comes to my computer, but to me, I can't figure out if the computer is glitching, or is infected. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on?

Running WIndows XP (SP 3)

Hebon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That isn't good. Any other signs I should be aware about hard drive failure?

And Rydian, I don't use another account (there is only one), so I don't know.

Oh, also, could defragging the HD cause problems? I did a while ago, and all my problems started after that.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
If you're worried about the HDD, have a look at the SMART report (using a program like Speccy) and run a disk check. If you're worried about possible virus infection, run a full virus scan. Either way, a scan will pick up any problems.

I've seen these symptoms caused by both in the past, so I'd do both. Just not at the same time.

Defragging can only cause these symptoms if certain files/data are moved to bad sectors without the drive realizing it. A disk check will usually find these.

Hebon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the S.M.A.R.T. status using Speccy (luckily, I had it installed already). I don't understand it though.

01 Read Error Rate 100 (100 worst) Data 0000000000
02 Throughput Performance 100 (100) Data 0000000000
03 Spin-Up Time 253 (253) Data 0000000000
04 Start/Stop Count 099 (099) Data 000000097B
05 Reallocated Sectors Count 100 (100) Data 0000000000
07 Seek Error Rate 100 (100) Data 0000000000
08 Seek Time Performance 100 (100) Data 0000000000
09 Power-On Hours (POH) 092 (092) Data 0000000DB6
0A Spin Retry Count 100 (100) Data 0000000000
0C Device Power Cycle Count 099 (099) Data 00000008F3
BF G-sense error rate 100 (100) Data 0000000000
C0 Power-off Retract Count 100 (100) Data 0000000027
C1 Load/Unload Cycle Count 087 (087) Data 000002010E
C2 Temperature 152 (152) Data 00000D0024
C4 Reallocation Event Count 100 (100) Data 0000000000
C5 Current Pending Sector Count 100 (100) Data 0000000000
C6 Uncorrectable Sector Count 100 (100) Data 0000000000
C7 UltraDMA CRC Error Count 200 (200) Data 0000000000
DF Load/Unload Retry Count 100 (100) Data 0000000000
Temperature 36 °C
Temperature Range ok (less than 50 °C)
Status Good

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I tried googling around, and honestly, I can't tell how one is supposed to interpret the potential failing attributes that are provided. There seems to be no standard of interpretation available for the common individual, either. From what I could find though, it would seem those tests aren't always entirely accurate in detecting whether the HDD is failing. Due to the varied standards throughout the industry, these tests can only get you so far. I wouldn't take the test as the golden ticket that your HDD isn't failing, especially while exhibiting signs that it potentially is. It's now just a bit less likely that it's failing.

I would backup just in case. Better safe than sorry.

Something I should mention is that with my old computer, the HDD actually still does work. It found a second bout of life or something and stopped doing all of the errors that it was doing. We did nothing to try to solve whatever the problem may have been. It just sort of started reading correctly. The computer is rarely used these days though, so for all I know, it may only have a few more hours, a few days, a couple of weeks, maybe a few more months, potentially another year or two. Hard to say until the hard drive actually up and quits. Problems it had exhibited before we started getting the failure messages:

- Logged in, background was gone and replaced by some old looking blue one that I recall from old versions of Windows, theme was reset to the normal.
- Logged in, desktop was entirely unresponsive, despite mouse movement still being available. Ctrl+Alt+Delete was not working.
- Some error or another once a successful log in occurred at a random time. I can only remember that it required the computer being physically shut off via the power button.
- Failure to boot the OS.
- Failure to properly boot the OS, resulting in a mess at the log in screen.
- Finally being able to log in, only to be greeted by a message that the HDD is failing (words of my brother - I did not actually view this, but I guess the messages do occur if the setup is right for it.)
- The above happened over the course of about three days of trying to use the computer. A day later, the errors stopped, things started working again. Made a fresh backup to the 1TB external just in case.

Shortly after that, I moved, and my bro took the old computer with him when he split his way. I guess it still works, but as I said, it has received very little use the past six months. If I had to guess, it has maybe gotten about another 20 hours of use since July 2011, due to a lack of internet connection and no other use for it. For all I know, the HDD is ready to read its last bytes. Probably won't ever know, since I doubt that computer will still be hanging around for a whole lot longer.

tl;dr: It may be nothing that will resolve itself. It may be a HDD failure. I guess there is potential for a virus. Scan just in case, of course. If there's no virus, backup just in case. If you don't have a spare HDD, pick one up. Memory is inexpensive.

Rowan

Trophies
XP
Country
Have you run chkdsk /f?
If not I would recommend you do,
open command prompt from accessories
when it loads up write
Chkdsk E: /f
Replacing E with the letter assigned to the suspect drive
Hit enter then wait for all disk checking to finish.

Hebon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I decided to disable the themes service. I'm going to see if that is affective at all.

Zerosuit connor

Baby I'm Back ♥
Trophies
XP
Country
That isn't good. Any other signs I should be aware about hard drive failure?

And Rydian, I don't use another account (there is only one), so I don't know.

Oh, also, could defragging the HD cause problems? I did a while ago, and all my problems started after that.
Install AVG Free or Full depending on if you can be bothered "buying" a liscence, Run A Whole computer scan, my computer started doing this when I got
Code:
The Virus win-32 BamitalX
, If you don't get anything with that , download AVG Pc tuneup Free or Full depending on if you can be bothered "buying" a liscence, this fixes registry, hardrive, windows errors

AVG:http://www.avg.com.a...CFaNLpgode0ho-A
PC TuneUp: http://www.avg.com.a...pc-tuneup-2012/

And If All Else Fails @Vulpes Abnocto May be able to help :)

Reactions: 1 person

Hebon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, so far, disabling my windows Themes services fixed it. I'll run a bunch of scans anyway, just to be sure though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc