Completely lost with softmodding

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by jahlu, Jul 29, 2017.

1. jahlu
    OP

jahlu Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2017
    Canada
    So I have a Wii, it was running 4.3U.

I followed a very extensive tutorial that involved downgrading to 4.1U, installing a ton of cIOS, wads, and I don't even remember what else; took me 5 hours.

I got it mostly working, but it wouldn't boot any game from the USB HDD (black screen freeze), so I wanted to start from scratch. I formatted the Wii (I understood it wouldn't erase the HBC, but it did).

I ran letterbomb again, LB thinks I have 4.3, but the wii says 4.1. I now have the HBC installed and nothing else. I also have a copy of my NAND (did a backup before).

What do I do now, I would essentially like to get the wii back to factory untouched umodded and restart softmodding from scratch.

Bonus question: which of the millions of tutorials available online should I follow to softmod my Wii and play downloaded games form the USB HDD?

2. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Don't verginoze the Wii just follow this guide

http://www.wiihacks.com/showthread.php?t=96886

3. Dust2dust

Dust2dust GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    Way back when, the recommended way was to run a PC windows program called ModMii, that would basically hold you by the hand in hacking your Wii to do everything you want. The thread for ModMii is still stickied, so I would think it's still relevant. Give it a try > http://gbatemp.net/threads/modmii-for-windows-official-support-topic.207126/

4. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    you don't even need tons of things to install.

1. install HBC
    2. install only one cIOS if you want USBLoaders.
    3. Done, enjoy
    4. additionally, you can install a brick protection such as priiloader if your Wii can't install bootmii @ boot2

no wad download or installation involved at all.
    no modmii to learn how to use on computer and struggle if network is not working
    no patching old and deprecated IOS/cIOS

optional step : make a NAND backup, in case you brick or do stupid things (like formatting without asking first if it's not dangerous), but why would you do anything on your file system when everything works fine?

If you are now on 4.1, you don't use letter bomb anymore, but banner bomb.
    if you already have The Homebrew channel installed, don't use any "bomb" exploit at all.

So, you are at this point :

Wii 4.1 (or 4.3, doesn't matter)
    HBC 1.1.2 or newer

You need this now

d2x cIOS installer for Wii

download that file, and extract it into this folder (create it) :
    SD:/apps/d2x_installer/

You should have this :

Sd:/apps/d2x_installer/boot.dol
    SD:/apps/d2x_installer/meta.xml
    SD:/apps/d2x_installer/icon.png
    SD:/apps/d2x_installer/ciosmap.xml
    SD:/apps/d2x_installer/7/
    SD:/apps/d2x_installer/8/
    SD:/apps/d2x_installer/10/

put your SD card on Wii, launch HBC and run d2x installer.
    Note: You need a working network connection, you'll get files directly from nintendo's servers. be sure you don't block the update server (in case you filter it for your WiiU or 3DS, etc.)

Press A to go to the selection screen, and choose this with d-Pad :

What : d2x v8 final
    where : 249
    base : 57
    version 21008

press A to install from network, wait, and when completed successfully press Home to exit.

Done !
    run your USB Loader now.

possible issues :
    Your HDD is not recognized : set the IOS used by your USBLoader to IOS58
    You are using a flash drive : use a real hard drive, not a flash device, they are mostly incompatible
    You have black screen when launching a game : delete your USBLoader config file, be sure you play games from your region, check video mode and select "disc" mode, not console or anything else, and again no flash drive.
    game still not working : verify your game is not corrupted (Sha1 checksum), verify your game's file (the .wbfs) is not in "Write protected" mode on your FAT32 or NTFS partition. verify you are using FAT32 32k/cluster (best setup).

Last edited by Cyan, Jul 29, 2017
  5. dafyddpryce

dafyddpryce Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 28, 2017
    United Kingdom
    "Note: You need a working network connection, you'll get files directly from nintendo's servers. be sure you don't block the update server (in case you filter it for your WiiU or 3DS, etc.)"

This one line brought to an end hours of headscratching/fruitless googling and replaced it with a combination of joy and intense anger at my own stupidity. Thanks!

Cyan likes this.
  6. jahlu
    OP

jahlu Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2017
    Canada
  7. portugeek

portugeek GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2013
    United States
    I didn't know this was a thing. Which files are they, and how will this affect Wii softmodding when they shut these servers down?

8. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    The IOSes. If NUS ever gets shut down you can always dump yours from the console with BlueDump but I think they're probably canned all the servers they're going to for the Wii.

portugeek likes this.
  9. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    that's downloading all the official IOS from nintendo, patching them and installing the result in a >200 slot

When nintendo shutdown their servers, we will have to rely on :
    1. getting the IOS from NAND, if it's present and not patched (fix94 mod2.2 installer is already doing it for vWii)
    2. using wad on root of SD, to use offline install mode. already a working feature in current d2x installer, but you need to "get" copyrighted IOS wad files somewhere else. Modmii is also getting them from nintendo's servers, so getting them from modmii will not be a solution either.

You can get them from :
    a disc update partition, your nand, or illegal shared links.
    or just make yourself a nice backup with all possible IOS files and versions (and all existing cIOS version from modmii) in prevision of server shutdown. you can use NUSD while it still work. (I should do that, but never took the time, I'll be more sorry than safe...)

Last edited by Cyan, Aug 10, 2017
    portugeek likes this.
  10. portugeek

portugeek GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2013
    United States
    I'll be making backups soon. :)