Hacking Completely lost with softmodding

jahlu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I have a Wii, it was running 4.3U.

I followed a very extensive tutorial that involved downgrading to 4.1U, installing a ton of cIOS, wads, and I don't even remember what else; took me 5 hours.

I got it mostly working, but it wouldn't boot any game from the USB HDD (black screen freeze), so I wanted to start from scratch. I formatted the Wii (I understood it wouldn't erase the HBC, but it did).

I ran letterbomb again, LB thinks I have 4.3, but the wii says 4.1. I now have the HBC installed and nothing else. I also have a copy of my NAND (did a backup before).

What do I do now, I would essentially like to get the wii back to factory untouched umodded and restart softmodding from scratch.

Bonus question: which of the millions of tutorials available online should I follow to softmod my Wii and play downloaded games form the USB HDD?

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have a Wii, it was running 4.3U.

I followed a very extensive tutorial that involved downgrading to 4.1U, installing a ton of cIOS, wads, and I don't even remember what else; took me 5 hours.

I got it mostly working, but it wouldn't boot any game from the USB HDD (black screen freeze), so I wanted to start from scratch. I formatted the Wii (I understood it wouldn't erase the HBC, but it did).

I ran letterbomb again, LB thinks I have 4.3, but the wii says 4.1. I now have the HBC installed and nothing else. I also have a copy of my NAND (did a backup before).

What do I do now, I would essentially like to get the wii back to factory untouched umodded and restart softmodding from scratch.

Bonus question: which of the millions of tutorials available online should I follow to softmod my Wii and play downloaded games form the USB HDD?
Don't verginoze the Wii just follow this guide

http://www.wiihacks.com/showthread.php?t=96886

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Way back when, the recommended way was to run a PC windows program called ModMii, that would basically hold you by the hand in hacking your Wii to do everything you want. The thread for ModMii is still stickied, so I would think it's still relevant. Give it a try > http://gbatemp.net/threads/modmii-for-windows-official-support-topic.207126/

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
you don't even need tons of things to install.

1. install HBC
2. install only one cIOS if you want USBLoaders.
3. Done, enjoy
4. additionally, you can install a brick protection such as priiloader if your Wii can't install bootmii @ boot2

no wad download or installation involved at all.
no modmii to learn how to use on computer and struggle if network is not working
no patching old and deprecated IOS/cIOS

optional step : make a NAND backup, in case you brick or do stupid things (like formatting without asking first if it's not dangerous), but why would you do anything on your file system when everything works fine?

If you are now on 4.1, you don't use letter bomb anymore, but banner bomb.
if you already have The Homebrew channel installed, don't use any "bomb" exploit at all.

So, you are at this point :

Wii 4.1 (or 4.3, doesn't matter)
HBC 1.1.2 or newer

You need this now

d2x cIOS installer for Wii

download that file, and extract it into this folder (create it) :
SD:/apps/d2x_installer/

You should have this :

Sd:/apps/d2x_installer/boot.dol
SD:/apps/d2x_installer/meta.xml
SD:/apps/d2x_installer/icon.png
SD:/apps/d2x_installer/ciosmap.xml
SD:/apps/d2x_installer/7/
SD:/apps/d2x_installer/8/
SD:/apps/d2x_installer/10/

put your SD card on Wii, launch HBC and run d2x installer.
Note: You need a working network connection, you'll get files directly from nintendo's servers. be sure you don't block the update server (in case you filter it for your WiiU or 3DS, etc.)

Press A to go to the selection screen, and choose this with d-Pad :

What : d2x v8 final
where : 249
base : 57
version 21008

press A to install from network, wait, and when completed successfully press Home to exit.

Done !
run your USB Loader now.

possible issues :
Your HDD is not recognized : set the IOS used by your USBLoader to IOS58
You are using a flash drive : use a real hard drive, not a flash device, they are mostly incompatible
You have black screen when launching a game : delete your USBLoader config file, be sure you play games from your region, check video mode and select "disc" mode, not console or anything else, and again no flash drive.
game still not working : verify your game is not corrupted (Sha1 checksum), verify your game's file (the .wbfs) is not in "Write protected" mode on your FAT32 or NTFS partition. verify you are using FAT32 32k/cluster (best setup).

Last edited by Cyan,

dafyddpryce

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"Note: You need a working network connection, you'll get files directly from nintendo's servers. be sure you don't block the update server (in case you filter it for your WiiU or 3DS, etc.)"

This one line brought to an end hours of headscratching/fruitless googling and replaced it with a combination of joy and intense anger at my own stupidity. Thanks!

Reactions: Cyan

portugeek

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Note: You need a working network connection, you'll get files directly from nintendo's servers. be sure you don't block the update server (in case you filter it for your WiiU or 3DS, etc.)

I didn't know this was a thing. Which files are they, and how will this affect Wii softmodding when they shut these servers down?

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't know this was a thing. Which files are they, and how will this affect Wii softmodding when they shut these servers down?

The IOSes. If NUS ever gets shut down you can always dump yours from the console with BlueDump but I think they're probably canned all the servers they're going to for the Wii.

Reactions: portugeek

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
that's downloading all the official IOS from nintendo, patching them and installing the result in a >200 slot

When nintendo shutdown their servers, we will have to rely on :
1. getting the IOS from NAND, if it's present and not patched (fix94 mod2.2 installer is already doing it for vWii)
2. using wad on root of SD, to use offline install mode. already a working feature in current d2x installer, but you need to "get" copyrighted IOS wad files somewhere else. Modmii is also getting them from nintendo's servers, so getting them from modmii will not be a solution either.

You can get them from :
a disc update partition, your nand, or illegal shared links.
or just make yourself a nice backup with all possible IOS files and versions (and all existing cIOS version from modmii) in prevision of server shutdown. you can use NUSD while it still work. (I should do that, but never took the time, I'll be more sorry than safe...)

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: portugeek

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Psi has been banned in the state of California.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am the cancer!!! lol
    Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol
    Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want to play and enjoy the old old ganes
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Shouldn't preservation be legal tho?
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I always see this dude's shorts, he sounds pretty annoying.
    +1
    Preservation yeah it absolutely should be legal
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Believe Japan was going to make it legal at some point, according to a Kotaku story.
    +1
    I swear like 99% of arcade games wouldn't even exist these days outside of MAME the arcade machines are old and busted very few ever saw any sort of home conversion
    We get 37 versions of Super Mario Bros but 0 of Beast Busters
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, There's a lot of obscure Japanese arcade titles that are either lost to time or dumped.
    +1
    It's so unfair, maybe AI can save us lol
    I mean if a company could use AI to do the work of a home conversion for essentially free why not? The rights for some games are completely lost though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, AI is taking our jobs!
    +1
    Just tried the Master System version.... Ugghh
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just tried the Master System version.... Ugghh