Homebrew Question Complete noob questions

Kanakops

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
My english is lame but I hope the thread is coherent. If you have any question about something I have posted just tell me.

Hi, i'm not sure if I post this in the right place but I have some questions about cfw/homebrew how everything work. I don't own an hacked switch but I can hack it when I want because i'm a proud owner of an unpatched one. Of course I don't want to be banned so i'm probably just gonna wait until the end of the life of the console but if I'm sure to not be banned I will probably do it soon. (And no this thread is not only about a ban question even if it's an important one)

I have read this guide https://switch.homebrew.guide/ for fun, I find it really interesting but I was wondering about somes stuff.

1 - If I do an emunand for stuffs like homebrew/themes/"""""backup games""""" but I use dns90 + incognito v2 AND I never connect to internet with the wifi setting removed + airplane but I use online on my untouched sysnand for my legits games like super smash. Can I really risk a ban ? I mean I cut every informations from nintendo, how can they flag me ? Are you or do you know someone in this situation and never get banned or get banned?

2 - About the fuses thing : If I always update my sysnand but never touch my emunand, something can happen ? I have read and heard about an anti downgrade system and I don't want to mess with this. The thing is I will never connect my emunand to internet so i'm not considering to do somes kind of updates. But with this weird anti downgrade system should I always have the same version on both of my nands ?

2.1 - Again about the fuses thing : If one day I am on a upgraded version like 19.0 but I need to use my backup to fix a problem/brick and this backup is on an inferior version. The anti downgrade system will be trigered ? What can I risk ? Should I always do a backup at each updates and delete the inferior one ?

Last edited by Kanakops,

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
1. Only way in this case is if you accidentally connect to hotspot without 90DNS, you have configured 90DNS wrong or 90DNS fail and it will pass communication to Nintendo servers. Otherwise there is no ban risk.

2. Only what can happen is:
- you won't play cartridge games in emummc if sysnand FW contained gamecard slot update that is newer than available in emummc
- if you will have autorcm on and bootloader won't support current sysnand FW, you won't run it without disabling autorcm first and running ofw normally

2.1. Yes if backup FW requires lower efuse burned count that is currently burned in hardware. Then you can't run this backup as OFW. You need to run CFW on it and update to FW that matches burned efuses count or surpasses it. There is no need to make backup each time.

Last edited by masagrator,
Reactions: Kanakops

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Ad2.1: On a switch thats exploitable via the USB port, you will always be able to run the exploit and boot into lets say f.e. hekate bootloader, which is able to run firmwares as CFW.

If you think about it, if you return back to an older backup where fusecount doesnt match your systems, the default bootloader wont boot it. Switch will 'act like a brick', but you can always boot a CFW compatible bootloader, boot your sysnand as CFW (fusecount check will be skipped), and then update the firmware from there. (Preferably using a legit game that comes with a higher firmware version on it, to non 'taint' your sysnand.)

Kanakops

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
First of all thanks you guys I was not thinking someone will answer

1. Only way in this case is if you accidentally connect to hotspot without 90DNS, you have configured 90DNS wrong or 90DNS fail and it will pass communication to Nintendo servers. Otherwise there is no ban risk.

2. Only what can happen is:
- you won't play cartridge games in emummc if sysnand FW contained gamecard slot update that is newer than available in emummc
- if you will have autorcm on and bootloader won't support current sysnand FW, you won't run it without disabling autorcm first and running ofw normally

So if my sysnand is up to date but not my emunand I can't play games on cartridge in my emu ?

2.1. Yes if backup FW requires lower efuse burned count that is currently burned in hardware. Then you can't run this backup as OFW. You need to run CFW on it and update to FW that matches burned efuses count or surpasses it. There is no need to make backup each time.

I have difficulty with this one, if my backup is old, i'm supposed to launch hekate or something like this first, choosing the backup, launch it and do the update ?

Ad2.1: On a switch thats exploitable via the USB port, you will always be able to run the exploit and boot into lets say f.e. hekate bootloader, which is able to run firmwares as CFW.

If you think about it, if you return back to an older backup where fusecount doesnt match your systems, the default bootloader wont boot it. Switch will 'act like a brick', but you can always boot a CFW compatible bootloader, boot your sysnand as CFW (fusecount check will be skipped), and then update the firmware from there. (Preferably using a legit game that comes with a higher firmware version on it, to non 'taint' your sysnand.)

Oh ok so if I need to backup an old version I boot the backup with hekate and I do select a game with an higher firmware version like smash for exemple and do the update with the pop up I will get?

It is not more simple to just do "search for an update" ?Also What do you mean by "taint your sysnand" ?

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Oh ok so if I need to backup an old version I boot the backup with hekate and I do select a game with an higher firmware version like smash for exemple and do the update with the pop up I will get?

It is not more simple to just do "search for an update" ?Also What do you mean by "taint your sysnand" ?
Actually, unsure - as you are running a CFW at that time, on sysnand, going online with it (searching for an update) might not be recommended.

But then - to my understanding running a CFW on sysnand (which you have to do at least once to get emunand) doesnt result in a ban. I'm not sure if searching for an online firmware update while on CFW will result in a ban.

Probably not. Although I dont know. I recommended updating with a game as a safety measure. Which might not be needed.

Tainting sysnand (only by booting CFW on sysnand) is not a factor, my mistake, forget that I said anything.. ;)

Tainting sysnand is what you try to prevent, by having an emunand (/emummc (same thing)) installed and booting into it for homebrew und """""backup""""" purposes.

You are trying to prevent titleids of 'unlicenced' nsps an maybe even some nros, and their savegames, showing up in systemlogs. If Nintendo sees them - ban. Even retroactively. (If they are still in any log that gets transmitted to Nintendo.)

edit:

SCRATCH THAT! :) Dont go online, in that scenario, dont search for an update online. :) Might even be worth to unplug your wifi router before the first bootup.

Here is why it will cause you to be banned otherwise:

If you use sysnand to go online, it will always be on a current firmware. If you restore a backup from an older firmware, you will be on a lower version number. If you connect that Switch (booted in CFW, but sysnand) with Nintendo, probably instaban - because you are on a lower firmware number (Nintendo might keep tabs :) ) which might result in an instaban. :) Updating with a game in that scenario, might be wiser.. ;)

Last edited by notimp,

Kanakops

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Actually, unsure - as you are running a CFW at that time, on sysnand, going online with it (searching for an update) might not be recommended.

But then - to my understanding running a CFW on sysnand (which you have to do at least once to get emunand) doesnt result in a ban. I'm not sure if searching for an online firmware update while on CFW will result in a ban.

Probably not. Although I dont know. I recommended updating with a game as a safety measure. Which might not be needed.

Tainting sysnand (only by booting CFW on sysnand) is not a factor, my mistake, forget that I said anything.. ;)

Tainting sysnand is what you try to prevent, by having an emunand (/emummc (same thing)) installed and booting into it for homebrew und """""backup""""" purposes.

You are trying to prevent titleids of 'unlicenced' nsps an maybe even some nros, and their savegames, showing up in systemlogs. If Nintendo sees them - ban. Even retroactively. (If they are still in any log that gets transmitted to Nintendo.)

edit:

SCRATCH THAT! :) Dont go online, in that scenario, dont search for an update online. :) Might even be worth to unplug your wifi router before the first bootup.

Here is why it will cause you to be banned otherwise:

If you use sysnand to go online, it will always be on a current firmware. If you restore a backup from an older firmware, you will be on a lower version number. If you connect that Switch (booted in CFW, but sysnand) with Nintendo, probably instaban - because you are on a lower firmware number (Nintendo might keep tabs :) ) which might result in an instaban. :) Updating with a game in that scenario, might be wiser.. ;)

but getting an update from a gamecard is not the same as doing "search for an update"? Because I need to connect to the nintendo server and ask the update in both situation no? Did you already update a backup sysnand with this technique ?

And yeah I plan to remove every wifi setting before doing the emunand + disconnect my router until I have set up everything correctly so my emunand will never ever connect to internet, and even there I will use some stuff like airplane mode + tinfoil incognito or the incognito of atmosphere, it's overkill but it's probably the best solution.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol Veho.