Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
thebobevil said:
Well, you being the kind of comic book reader you seem to be, you'd be best leaving Iron FIst well enough alone, after they leave ... then you can keep the good memories ...
Oh no, that's not who I am usually. I don't avoid comics based on creative teams, I'll give anything a chance. This is just a unique case where I don't feel Iron Fist is a great character, I think the book was good because they're great writers. So don't think I'm a typical comic elitist who lives and dies with creative teams, as usually I'm not. Like any reader I'll read anything from a writer I like, but I won't discriminate based on not liking a previous writer's work.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
thebobevil said:
Oh, okay ... then I apologise for mis-reading you ...
Don't worry about it. It happens. When I first got back into comics back in the early 00s I was disgusted to see how many "fans" were extremely anal about every little thing and hated certain writers with a blinding passion. I said to them that I just cared about the characters and the stories, it doesn't matter who writes it. Years later, that's still true, but I have developed a favorite selection of writers/artists in that time. However, no matter how badly someone like Chris Claremont has written in the recent past... I'll still give his newest work a chance. Anyone can change.

Anywho, yes, Iron Fist is a unique situation. I was drawn to a character I have no attachment to by superb writing.

czechoslovakian7

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm absolutely addicted to the Gargoyles comics. I don't know if anyone watched the Disney cartoon while it was on from around 1994 - 1996, but the comic picks up after the end of the second season, ignoring the third (The Goliath Chronicles) because the creator, Greg Weisman wasn't involved in season 3. Now, he's writing the comics, they're being put out by SLG and it's incredible. If you ever watched the show, you should check it out, and for those of you who didn't watch, don't let the fact that it was a cartoon fool you, there's a lot of smart writing and nothing childish about it.

If you wanna know more about the comics, check it out on Wikipedia. And if you're interested, pick up a copy, they need all the sales they can get. So far theres:
  • A Trade Paperback (#1 - 6)
  • Individual issues #7 and #8
  • Spin-off miniseries (6 Issues) called Gargoyles: Bad Guys #1
Bad Guys #2 comes out tomorrow.

Also, if you're a fan of the new Spectacular Spider-Man series, Greg Weisman is the executive producer on that cartoon. If you like his work over on that show, check out these comics, Gargoyles is his pride and joy.

Can you tell how much I love it? LoL
blink.gif

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
czechoslovakian7 said:
I'm absolutely addicted to the Gargoyles comics. I don't know if anyone watched the Disney cartoon while it was on from around 1994 - 1996, but the comic picks up after the end of the second season, ignoring the third (The Goliath Chronicles) because the creator, Greg Weisman wasn't involved in season 3. Now, he's writing the comics, they're being put out by SLG and it's incredible. If you ever watched the show, you should check it out, and for those of you who didn't watch, don't let the fact that it was a cartoon fool you, there's a lot of smart writing and nothing childish about it.

If you wanna know more about the comics, check it out on Wikipedia. And if you're interested, pick up a copy, they need all the sales they can get. So far theres:

Also, if you're a fan of the new Spectacular Spider-Man series, Greg Weisman is the executive producer on that cartoon. If you like his work over on that show, check out these comics, Gargoyles is his pride and joy.

blink.gif
Ah, Gargoyles, that brings back extremely pleasant memories. One of the best cartoons of the 90s. Right up there with Batman: The Animated Series. Though I am bit annoyed to see that he's ignoring season 3. He may have been the creator but the series was work for hire, and if he decided to leave it's equally as offensive to erase what they did afterwards as it is for them to work on without him.

As for the new Spectacular Spider-Man animated series. It. Is. Excellent. I cannot recommend this series highly enough. It is the perfect Spidey experience. They take the best elements from all of the Spidey source material (Mostly the maisntream and Ultimate comics, with just a subtle hint of the movies. As well as a few nods to other sources). It is masterful.

For those of you who say you can't get any better than the 90s Spidey series... you're wrong. I was one of you, until I saw this. The 90s series was excellent, but it was a clear product of the era, and the censorship imposed was EXTREME. They couldn't use real weapons, even hired street-level thugs had to use energy rifles. Spidey couldn't punch anyone, only kick. Spider-man couldn't land on a roof in case he hit a pidgeon... see what I mean?

This series pulls no punches, if you can get past the animation style (mostly the eyes) you'll love it, if you're a Spidey fan. This IS Spider-Man; no other interpretation has ever done it this well before. Also, unlike the 90s series, they've imposed little to no censorship. In fact, I'm often surprised with the stuff they've gotten away with given the network. The production team understand the mythos to a fault, they know just where and when to adopt certain aspects of franchise.

EDIT: This link sums it up better than I ever could.

WeaponXxX

Too F'in Blonde
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Preacher = God like
Exiles = Fun if you like "What if", Quantum Leap or Sliders
Y Last Man = Okay till they made him ultra pussy and think of maggots during sex or some psych BS.
The original Tick comic was fucking comedic genious
Anything Jeff Loeb and Tim write/draw is downright brilliant
Ultimate Marvel shit I REALLY wanted to hate being old school but I fucking loved it. Ultimate X-men was a fun read especially since I read the originals as a kid.
I've been busy for the past two years so I haven't read in a while but I still buy TPBs for when I retire.
I really dug the Bruce Wayne: Murderer? story as well.

+1 for Gargoyles
Have the DVDs good shit.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
WeaponXxX said:
Preacher = God like
Exiles = Fun if you like "What if", Quantum Leap or Sliders
Y Last Man = Okay till they made him ultra pussy and think of maggots during sex or some psych BS.
The original Tick comic was fucking comedic genious
Anything Jeff Loeb and Tim write/draw is downright brilliant
Ultimate Marvel shit I REALLY wanted to hate being old school but I fucking loved it. Ultimate X-men was a fun read especially since I read the originals as a kid.
I've been busy for the past two years so I haven't read in a while but I still buy TPBs for when I retire.
I really dug the Bruce Wayne: Murderer? story as well.

+1 for Gargoyles
Have the DVDs good shit.
I'll poke my head in here, Exiles has turned to ass. Back in the day it was one of the best, but after changing writers 3 or 4 times it turned to pure shit. Claremont then got control of it, and while I tried to like his new stuff... it's not good either.

I don't know what you're talking about with Y, I don't remember that at all.

I'd like to stress that anything with Jeff Loeb and Tim Sale TOGETHER are awesome. Together they've crafted some fantastic stories. However, Jeph Loeb by himself ranges from mediocre to fucking atrocious.

Ultimate Marvel has gone down the shitter. There was a time when all of the books were awesome, now the only one worth a damn is Ultimate Spider-Man. The others turned to crap for two reasons:

1) New incapable writers who thought trying to recapture the 90s was a good idea (check IGN's reviews of recent Ultimate X-Men, the last one got a 1.8, and the one before that got a 3.2.. out of 10).

2) Like I mentioned above... Jeph Loeb. He took over with Ultimates 3 and made everything the first two volumes had worked to meaningless. He then started shaping every aspect of the Ultimate Marvel line. His "work"? Well first he got rid of Ultimate Nick Fury, reputedly the best character to come out of the Ultimate line. Then he turned the Ultimates into the CLASSIC Avengers in almost every way, only moments before starting an Ultimate Avengers Disassembled storyline.

Hm, I just noticed how much I swore in that post. That's odd. I must feel more strongly about these issues than I ever knew.

czechoslovakian7

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ace Gunman said:
czechoslovakian7 said:

blink.gif
Ah, Gargoyles, that brings back extremely pleasant memories. One of the best cartoons of the 90s. Right up there with Batman: The Animated Series. Though I am bit annoyed to see that he's ignoring season 3. He may have been the creator but the series was work for hire, and if he decided to leave it's equally as offensive to erase what they did afterwards as it is for them to work on without him.

As for the new Spectacular Spider-Man animated series. It. Is. Excellent. I cannot recommend this series highly enough. It is the perfect Spidey experience. They take the best elements from all of the Spidey source material (Mostly the maisntream and Ultimate comics, with just a subtle hint of the movies. As well as a few nods to other sources). It is masterful.

For those of you who say you can't get any better than the 90s Spidey series... you're wrong. I was one of you, until I saw this. The 90s series was excellent, but it was a clear product of the era, and the censorship imposed was EXTREME. They couldn't use real weapons, even hired street-level thugs had to use energy rifles. Spidey couldn't punch anyone, only kick. Spider-man couldn't land on a roof in case he hit a pidgeon... see what I mean?

This series pulls no punches, if you can get past the animation style (mostly the eyes) you'll love it, if you're a Spidey fan. This IS Spider-Man; no other interpretation has ever done it this well before. Also, unlike the 90s series, they've imposed little to no censorship. In fact, I'm often surprised with the stuff they've gotten away with given the network. The production team understand the mythos to a fault, they know just where and when to adopt certain aspects of franchise.

EDIT: This link sums it up better than I ever could.

Normally I would agree with you about ignoring a season of show like that, but it this case it's totally different. The consensus among Gargoyle fans is that when the show switched formats for season 3 and was renamed "The Goliath Chronicles," the quality of the series went way downhill. Just to give you an idea of the affect this had on the shows success, the first season consisted of 13 episodes, and was so successful that Disney ordered 52 episodes for season 2, that's exactly 4 times more episodes than season 1 (Most seasons of cartoons today consist ONLY of 13 episodes, and I'm pretty sure that it's rare for more episodes to be ordered, let alone 4 times as many as the previous season). The Goliath Chronicles had 13 episodes, and was not renewed due to low ratings. Honestly, it was missing everything that made season 1 and 2 so special - characters were behaving out of character, the animation was incredibly poor for a show that had always looked gorgeous before, and the episodes didn't accomplish much in terms of the over-arcing theme of the show, which is something that Greg Weisman and his team had always managed to achieve. He wrote the first episode of season 3, which is the only episode he and the vast majority of the fans (including myself) consider to be canon. It's after that episode where the comics pick up and start telling the story as it was meant to be in Greg's master plan.

So, I understand what you mean about being annoyed that he's ignoring season 3, but the fault really lies with Disney for trying to maintain the success they had with the first 2 seasons, by doing everything in their power to cut the costs of the show wayy back...and failing. Greg Weisman has also said that he pretty much had no choice but to leave the show, due to Disney's actions.

Also, just FYI, the comics are licensed by Disney, which means they have to approve everything before it can get released, so they seem to be ok with ignoring it. I think it's for the best, the stories are just richer and more fulfilling now, and we always know everything's leading up to something bigger.

If you really liked Gargoyles back then, you should definitely check out the comics, they're great! Amazon has the TPB on sale from $19.95 to $13.57, just in case you're interested.

And I totally agree about the Spectacular Spider-Man, it's incredible. For all the spider-man fans reading, just like Gargoyles, this isn't something that you should avoid because you think its a kiddie cartoon. They are excellent, intelligent shows. And as executive producer, I believe it's Greg who picks and chooses which parts of the mythos are incorporated into the new show, and it's working out incredibly well. The 90's series was great, but it pales in comparison.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
czechoslovakian7 said:
-Words relating to Gargoyles-

And I totally agree about the Spectacular Spider-Man, it's incredible. For all the spider-man fans reading, just like Gargoyles, this isn't something that you should avoid because you think its a kiddie cartoon. They are excellent, intelligent shows. And as executive producer, I believe it's Greg who picks and chooses which parts of the mythos are incorporated into the new show, and it's working out incredibly well. The 90's series was great, but it pales in comparison.
Well, you make a solid point with your Gargoyles comments, when you put it like that it really seems like the right choice. Still, I'm a person who's very dedicated to continuity, good or bad, it's still part of the history. My point being, it will be difficult for me to get past the erasing being done, but not impossible. I'm reminded of the early rumors for the 3rd Mortal Kombat movie, it was suggested that movie two would be forgotten entirely and that this film would take its place. Now, the second Mortal Kombat film wasn't great (mostly because of some poor lead actors), but still, I argued tooth and nail that it shouldn't be detached from the canon. Of course, it's all a moot point now, as the new film is said to be a reboot/remake instead.

As for Spectacular Spider-Man, yes, I completely agree. Usually I'm a fairly open person when it comes to this sort of thing, a new series, etc. However when I saw a clip of Spect Spidey I immediately (and foolishly) said "No, this isn't for me. I'm sure it's not bad, but this is aimed at someone else". Later when it premiered I figured, what the hell, I'm bored, why not watch it? ... It lived up to its name; it was spectacular. After viewing it once, it was so strong that I then went on to view both episodes they aired 3 times each.

They've completely captured the essence of Spider-Man with this series. We were talking earlier in this topic about Marvel's Amazing Spider-Man: Brand New Day event. They've done some (arguably) great things with BND. But everything they wanted to accomplish? Spectacular Spider-Man did it and surpassed it in two episodes. Basically, what Marvel has been trying to recapture with the comics for a few years, this series did it in the premiere. Truly impressive.

gizmo_gal

QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I haven't read it in YEARS but Sonic will always be my favorite. I hate the direction his show has gone in, but I'd leap for the chance to have his old TV and comic series in my collection
smile.gif

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
The Walking Dead and the current Deadpool series are the only ones I buy now. Catching up to Fables but only getting the TPBs now.
Everyone should check out The Walking Dead.

Jan1tor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As far as resurrecting goes I've been reading the "SHOWCASE" collections from DC to refresh me when I was younger. I've read all 4 Justice league, 2 Flash, 1 legion of super-heroes, 3 Green Lantern and I'm on my 4th Green Lantern now which will lead up to the newer one my son has and hopefully I'll get all caught up. I mostly like the older DC and Some Marvel but am willing to try almost anything. My son got me back into this stuff and he buys probably 5 to 10 a week.

He also collects figures as well....running out of room to put them aaaarrrghhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Sonic Angel Knight, Is that SAK I see. :ninja:
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What a weird game
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah I wanted to see shards of the titanic
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I kept thinking jaws was gonna come up and attack
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Jaws is on a diet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn power went out
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok xdqwerty, your little bro prob tripped On the cord and unplugged you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ya I'm afraid of the dark hug me
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Grab and hold close your AncientBoi doll.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn didn't charge my external battery either
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Take the batteries out of your SuperStabber3000... Or is it gas powered?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I stole batteries from your black mamba
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My frozen food better hold up for an hour I know that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or else gonna be a big lunch and dinner tomorrow.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you pay your power bill? Or give all yo money to my wife, again.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh good the estimated time is the same exact time they just said
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Load up your pc and monitor, and head to a McDonalds dining room, they have free WiFi
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sir please watch your porn in the bathroom
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No sir we can not sell you anymore apple pies, after what you did with the last one.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We ran out
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    for your life
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My life has no value my fat ass is staying right here
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: My life has no value my fat ass is staying right here