Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

ds.gif

Comic Book DS V1.0 Released!

Finally something good to read comics on-the-go!

Francis Bonnin has released just yesterday a great homebrew, ComicBookDS. It can take folders, RAR, Zip, CBR (ComicBook RAR) and CBZ (ComicBook Zip) files, and generate a file you can use on your NDS. You can view them in a few modes, along with deciding if you want to show them horizontally and vertically, and you can even set the backlight on the fly!

ComicBookDS.jpg

You can find more info here, and a download link here

BlazedMonkey

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
G6 Lite Users - A Simple Guide!
(I will be updating this post with more info as I find out more, check back for new info)

as I posted in another thread (specifically referring to using the Comic Book reader in combination with the G6 Lite):

I've had a chance to play with this thing a little bit, and I've figured a few things out.

1. Make sure you extract your comic book images to a folder: If you have .cbr files, either rename the file extension to .rar and extract them to a folder, or just use 7zip and extract them directly from the .cbr)
2. In PictoDS, use the "Add folder" button, and add the folder you just extracted, then click convert.
3. Once the files have been created, use the file that ends in .sc.nds, this one will work properly on your G6lite
4. Load up your u-disk manager, click the NDS tab, and add the file just like you would any NDS game (don't change any options, the defaults are fine).
5. Load up your DS, and your comic should be listed with all your other DS games on the main boot screen, just select it and run it like any other game.
6. Enjoy
smile.gif

EDIT:

If you do not want your comics listed on the main boot screen with your games, then after step 3, do the following:
4. Plug in your G6lite and open it like you would a flash drive, by navigating through the windows explorer
5. Create a new folder in the root directory, call it something like "Comics". Drag and drop your files into this directory.
6. Load up your DS and click on "NDS Game" in the top right corner to open the drop down menu, then go to "MyCard". Your file tree for your G6lite will open there, just navigate to your files and click "Run" to load them.

additionally:

A. The program is currently only working correctly with .jpg and .jpeg image files. Any other file type will give you issues, so just convert them to .jpg
B. After you have converted your folders to NDS comic book format, if the resulting .nds files are over 32MB, they will not work properly, so break them up into multiple parts before converting. If you are getting black screens when you try to run the files, this is probably why.
C. If you convert, and your files end up being 448KB, something went wrong. Please read note F below, and if that is not the problem, please re-read the guide and make sure you are following the steps exactly as they are written.
D. The select button (which is supposed to change brightness on the fly) does not currently work, and will lock up your DS and you will need to reboot. The start button works as it is supposed to.
E.
EDIT:Holy CRAP!! I just figure something out after doing some more testing:
If I extract the files to a folder first, and use the converter with the "Add folder" option to convert them, the files are 10MB when finished (the exact same size as the original files in the folder). If I use the .cbz file I created, when the files are converted, the resulting .nds file is 20MB, twice the size of the other one!!! That's messed up!
Summary: If you use .jpg files in a folder, the .nds version is the same size as the original. If you use a .cbz, .cbr, .rar, or .zip, for some reason the resulting .nds file ends up being TWICE the size!
I have contacted the author, and this is his response:
QUOTE said:
Thanks, you're right, i can reproduce the problem
smile.gif

(From a dir i get a 4Mb file, and from .cbz i get a 13 Mb :/)
I inform Nicom00k (here in CC) , who dit the PC tool, he might solve
the problem i guess
smile.gif

Thanks again
Francis.

F.
The V1.0 has a bug if your installation directory contains spaces (ie your windows desktop).
Converting .cbr and .rar files might then create some incorrect 448 ko files.
Workaroud : move your ComicBookDS folder (might be x:\. ..\ComicBookDS_V1.0) in a directory without spaces (ie c:\ComicBookDS_V1.0\).
If there is one, remove the default.pds file (ie c:\ComicBookDS_V1.0\default.pds) in which the old directory was saved.

BlazedMonkey

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Francis Bonnin has released just yesterday a great homebrew, ComicBookDS. It can take folders, RAR, Zip, CBR (ComicBook RAR) and CBZ (ComicBook Zip) files, and generate a file you can use on your NDS. You can view them in a few modes, along with deciding if you want to show them horizontally and vertically, and you can even set the backlight on the fly!

This feature doesn't currently seem to be working (unless I'm missing something completely). I posted a functional workaround above ^^^

ds6220

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this thing sounds great!!!! Can anyone comment on the speed (time it takes to load one panel to the next for instance)

Vince989

Still lurking around, sometimes...
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

This feature doesn't currently seem to be working (unless I'm missing something completely). I posted a functional workaround above ^^^
Actually, had it been hard to make it work, I would have posted some infos. However, I've tried it with "Book of Bunny Suicide", a folder of jpg files, that I made in a zip and renamed into CBZ. I've only had to open the CBZ, press the button to create it, took the right one from the "nds" folder, and it worked right away. However, with another comics pack, which was in cbz too, but had .gif files instead, it didn't work. I suspect the gif files have something to do with it, though...
wink.gif

I think it's a great release, and I'll have to find a way to cram all those NES, GBX, GBA, and all those great NDS roms together, along with some comic books now, as it wasn't hard enough before that...
tongue.gif

- Vince989

Nojoy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
A truly brillant app for the DS... Have tried it with several CBR files and had no major issues yet...
Have a few issues of Uncle Scrooge and some Fullmetal Alchemist manga on my SC now. I wish there was a way to make the zoom adjustable to different sizes, but it's a minor quibble as far as I'm concerned...

[edited to remove self repeating stupidity]

Tigerstar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow, it works really well! I just stuffed a few issues of Yotsuba&! in to test it out, and the performance is excellent - very fast and smooth (I'm using a G6 Lite, for the record). Personally, I'd want to batch-resize the images a little before copying them over (the originals are 820x1200 and come up rather large in the zoomed view, and could stand to be smaller without sacrificing readability; also it'd make the final ROMs more compact). My biggest complaint would be that the PictoDS packager is rather slow when processing the images, but that's not really a major problem. I also have the problem where it crashes pressing start or select though, so no brightness adjustment for me. It's still awesome work nonetheless.

DsMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This sounds great I cant get it to work on the M3 though, does anyone know what to do to get it to work or is it not made for the M3 yet

Qpido

Call me Q.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Man, This morning I was actually thinking "I wanna read my downloaded Civil War! comics on my DS!" and now there's a program that let's me do it!
Gonna try this out right now.

Q~

blackeromegalon

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
This sounds great I cant get it to work on the M3 though, does anyone know what to do to get it to work or is it not made for the M3 yet

Just make the comic nds file, copy the regular .nds file over and then use the Start button to start it up on your ds instead of A. Works a charm on my M3 CF

Hey, you're right! It works with me now.
Thanks for the suggestion.
yaynds.gif

All that's missing from this homebrew is left-handed mode.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask...