Comex jailbreak released

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
Doesn't really matter whether you enable multi-tasking or not. The reason you were holding back was for the jailbreak. Now there's a new revision for all iPods on iOS4 there's no reason to stay on 3.1.3

My personal reason is that everything IOS4 offers I can already do through jailbreaking, but better. Categories + CategoriesSB for folders, Backgrounder and Kirikae for *true* multitasking, and Winterboard for theming. Cydia also has a couple of apps for extended Bluetooth functionality, so no real gains there with IOS4. While some of these have been upgraded to work on IOS4, I still see no compelling need when it's been shown to slow down the device overall.

Regarding the jailbreak, glad to hear that another one has been found. I was a bit tipsy when I clicked the link from PlanetBeing's Twitter post, very glad I actually read the popup that appeared before blindly clicking "yes" hehe.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
DanTheManMS said:
Jamstruth said:
Doesn't really matter whether you enable multi-tasking or not. The reason you were holding back was for the jailbreak. Now there's a new revision for all iPods on iOS4 there's no reason to stay on 3.1.3

My personal reason is that everything IOS4 offers I can already do through jailbreaking, but better. Categories + CategoriesSB for folders, Backgrounder and Kirikae for *true* multitasking, and Winterboard for theming. Cydia also has a couple of apps for extended Bluetooth functionality, so no real gains there with IOS4. While some of these have been upgraded to work on IOS4, I still see no compelling need when it's been shown to slow down the device overall.
No real gain OTHER than iTunes not bitching at you to update to use your official apps.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
I've used this jailbreak method to jailbreak my ipod touch 2G on 4.0, and now I've enabled multi-tasking and wallpaper support. There's nothing else I really want. It's nice to stick it to Jobs over the lack of multi-tasking support and wallpapers. It works fine on my ipod...

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Opium said:
I've used this jailbreak method to jailbreak my ipod touch 2G on 4.0, and now I've enabled multi-tasking and wallpaper support. There's nothing else I really want. It's nice to stick it to Jobs over the lack of multi-tasking support and wallpapers. It works fine on my ipod...
Well, he really just did it because he claims that multi-tasking won't work on the older processors.

Do you notice ANY lag at all? I never thought of this before.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
Opium said:
Well, he really just did it because he claims that multi-tasking won't work on the older processors.

It's quite obvious multitasking isn't natively supported on older models because they just want you to buy newer models. It works fairly well on older models but they're just trying to get oblivious Apple consumers to go "Oh, my iPod doesn't multitask, I must buy a new one now!"

I jailbroke my iPod Touch 2G using redsn0w FYI, although this seems a little simpler.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Does it work on iPad to?

Cause maybe my brother in law (who's in the US now) will bring an iPad 32G WiFi with him for me.
(He's lucky, he came to his hotel and on the table was an iPad 32G WiFi, free as welcome gift, from an American he met in Bruges (Belgium.)

(How i wish, i meet more ppl who have lotsa money)

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
DjoeN said:
Does it work on iPad to?

Cause maybe my brother in law (who's in the US now) will bring an iPad 32G WiFi with him for me.
(He's lucky, he came to his hotel and on the table was an iPad 32G WiFi, free as welcome gift, from an American he met in Bruges (Belgium.)

(How i wish, i meet more ppl who have lotsa money)

Yeah it works on the iPad too.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Guild McCommunist said:
Slyakin said:
Opium said:

It's quite obvious multitasking isn't natively supported on older models because they just want you to buy newer models. It works fairly well on older models but they're just trying to get oblivious Apple consumers to go "Oh, my iPod doesn't multitask, I must buy a new one now!"

I jailbroke my iPod Touch 2G using redsn0w FYI, although this seems a little simpler.

to get multitasking on this one you need to edit the .plist
Which is nit really hard. but not as easy as let's sa... redsn0w

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ifish said:
Guild McCommunist said:

to get multitasking on this one you need to edit the .plist
Which is nit really hard. but not as easy as let's sa... redsn0w

redsn0w makes it easier to enable multitasking/backgrounds etc., but this jailbreak is easier. If there was a Cydia app to enable multitasking, backgrounding and folders (shouldn't be hard AFAIK, as it just requires a simple plist edit), then JailbreakMe would be much better due to its simplicity...

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
SifJar said:
redsn0w makes it easier to enable multitasking/backgrounds etc., but this jailbreak is easier. If there was a Cydia app to enable multitasking, backgrounding and folders (shouldn't be hard AFAIK, as it just requires a simple plist edit), then JailbreakMe would be much better due to its simplicity...
Wandering around the Cydia store I've seen apps which let you toggle multitasking etc. on and off. Haven't bothered with them since I'm on a 3rd Gen with the higher processing power.

Also having trouble with some apps. Safari Download Manager for instance doesn't seem to like 4.0 and the preference loader can't load it into the settings menu correctly. The option is there but there's nothing in it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also