Hacking Coding vWii 3-core support - everything you need to know.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone learns differently. Most people are not independent learners. There are a few exceptions to this. Myself, someone can show me something and I'll forget it right away. I have to struggle through things, screw up a few times and walk myself through it in a closed room with no distractions. I prefer it this way and am just thick-headed like that however it is always nice to have someone I can go to and say "this is what I'm doing, this is what I've done and what am I doing wrong" and them not show me how to fix it but steer me in the right direction.

Also, you need a goal to work towards to be motivated to learn. This is just common sense. Without having anything to accomplish what is the point in learning?

You don't want to be involved. I totally understand and respect that, my point is simply that you have someone coming on here telling them they are going completely in the wrong direction without telling them which direction they should go in. Maybe that is because they don't have the capacity to go in the right direction, maybe not but what is the harm in telling one of them which is the correct direction/where they should be concentrating on to learn what they need.

What's better, for someone to come in and tell us that we're doing something wrong and learn what not to do next time, or to do something wrong for a long time only to end up being disappointed having known we did it wrong? Sometimes, we need to learn the hard and painful way; I'm not discouraged by what he said in the least, I look at it as an opportunity to pick ourselves up and move on. Sometimes, people need to be frank and maybe even overbearing when correcting another person. I can certainly choose to be annoyed or pissed off at what Marcan said, but why should I get upset? It solves nothing, I'm trying to do what I believe to be right, I try to learn from past mistakes of taking things too personally and being hard on myself. It solves nothing, but only makes others bitter or antagonistic (no one in particular, but it can certainly create tension). If anything, what he said pushes me to want to actually start learning even more.

rednekcowboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What's better, for someone to come in and tell us that we're doing something wrong and learn what not to do next time, or to do something wrong for a long time only to end up being disappointed having known we did it wrong? Sometimes, we need to learn the hard and painful way; I'm not discouraged by what he said in the least, I look at it as an opportunity to pick ourselves up and move on. Sometimes, people need to be frank and maybe even overbearing when correcting another person. I can certainly choose to be annoyed or pissed off at what Marcan said, but why should I get upset? If anything, this pushes me to want to actually start learning even more.

No, you misunderstand me. Marcan's post here today, I have no issues with, it was honest and upfront and insightful. This is what I was looking for (not that he needs my approval). I wish he would expand on it a little more on the whole wrong direction thing though, but that is his decision.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, you misunderstand me. Marcan's post here today, I have no issues with, it was honest and upfront and insightful. This is what I was looking for (not that he needs my approval). I wish he would expand on it a little more, though but that is his decision.

Whoops. Didn't mean to misunderstand what you said, my bad. But I agree, what he said is very insightful, as it incontrovertibly helps us head in the right direction. He pointed out our flaws unequivocally, for which I am grateful :P

Reactions: rednekcowboy

ihateu3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I imagine that XBMC on Wii-U is enough for most of us, and should even strike Marcans own interest... Sure we can have Rasberry PI for a fraction of the cost (and its subtle stuttering). But for people who already own a wii-u, or for people that want combined entertainment center and nintendo releases, this would be a major breakthrough!!!

I could care less about pirated games, if the wii-u could install XBMC, and perform better than rasberry pi and also play new nintendo releases, its a golden system!!!!

That being said, I am not sure if this is achievable without helping those people who pirate...

Regardless, the systems fate could actually be in the hands of hackers. Renewed interest in the system would be at an all time high.

Can you do this without helping the pirates??? Eventually they will get it anyways, but you would be first to be legit with a homebrew solution.

izzydeank

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I imagine that XBMC on Wii-U is enough for most of us, and should even strike Marcans own interest... Sure we can have Rasberry PI for a fraction of the cost (and its subtle stuttering). But for people who already own a wii-u, or for people that want combined entertainment center and nintendo releases, this would be a major breakthrough!!!

I could care less about pirated games, if the wii-u could install XBMC, and perform better than rasberry pi and also play new nintendo releases, its a golden system!!!!

That being said, I am not sure if this is achievable without helping those people who pirate...

Regardless, the systems fate could actually be in the hands of hackers. Renewed interest in the system would be at an all time high.

Can you do this without helping the pirates??? Eventually they will get it anyways, but you would be first to be legit with a homebrew solution.
They could do it without helping pirates as they could just add AP measures to there release especially since they have tueidj on there team. The problem isn't that, its them wanting too.

ihateu3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They could do it without helping pirates as they could just add AP measures to there release especially since they have tueidj on there team. The problem isn't that, its them wanting too.

If they can do it without helping piracy which would also avoid any legal issues, whats their prob then?????

Also as I said before, on the piracy front, it will eventually happen, so they could beat piracy to the game and give us legit homebrew???

ihateu3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just do not understand why they are not trying to help. If they have lost interest, then that is understandable, but you would think they would share what they have found, or its wasted work!

I read their statement, and it seems as long as they are not helping piracy, than there should be no legalities they could be held accountable for....

Their statement kinda reads as a disclosure that basically states they worked their asses off, for no benefit or interest from the community...

What I think they do not realize, is that there is a high level of interest, but nobody chimed in because nobody is on their level or has the tools to even try to be on their level. They took that as lack of interest, when in fact it was people that had no considerable ideas to further the project and kept silent rather than spamming their thread...

But at the same time, what do they gain from doing this??? Well in the olden hacker days, it was respect and it also happened to be your hobby. It was never for profit or interest, it was what you loved to do, and to see what you could do...

This whole internet thing is ideas building upon ideas, its a collaborative effort, the same as any technology, just much faster. But I now am starting to see the internet breaking down...

On their end I see their point, not much collaboration was offered... But that is the nature of the beast in modern day internet times. Eventually the internet will be filled with question askers, while the problem solvers have died off and are no longer there... We statistically already ask more questions on the net then we answer, and that's a major problem...

Them choosing to hold information from the public is their own choice, and also their right! Do I support hours of development possibly being lost in history, never documented, and also never being seen by the public?? No, I do not, but its not my choice, and whoever puts all that work into something has a much greater say on what they do with their work than I do!

BTW, I fear piracy will be available on the wii-u before homebrew ever will be...

izzydeank

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just do not understand why they are not trying to help. If they have lost interest, then that is understandable, but you would think they would share what they have found, or its wasted work!

I read their statement, and it seems as long as they are not helping piracy, than there should be no legalities they could be held accountable for....
I'm pretty sure its not a legal thing either, because Nintendo has never bothered them. Only they could tell you why.

ihateu3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure its not a legal thing either, because Nintendo has never bothered them. Only they could tell you why.

Possibly because companies producing devices such as the wiikey, see profit for their work, when they do not.... This is where I see the breakdown of hacking done for hobby, although I would most certainly pay for a homebrew software based solution, as I think others would as well. I am just not sure they realize this!

Its pretty obvious though that once the softmod was out for the wii, no one was buying chips anymore... There is a market to be had there if they desired compensation...

izzydeank

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Possibly because companies producing devices such as the wiikey, see profit for their work, when they do not.... This is where I see the breakdown of hacking done for hobby, although I would most certainly pay for a homebrew software based solution, as I think others would as well. I am just not sure they realize this!

Its pretty obvious though that once the softmod was out for the wii, no one was buying chips anymore... There is a market to be had there if they want compensation...
Yeah, but if they put a price on it (which they deff deserve) then there would be legal issues. And Nintendo might actual try to do something about it. They could release it and put a donate link up like what has been seen before on some iPhone jailbreaks and stuff. I don't really know if they had ways to donate to them on there wii work before or not.

ihateu3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
agree on the donations. Fact is, they may not get enough money from donations for what they truly deserve, but it is better than nothing, as the alternative is pure piracy, and it will happen regardless of their decisions! So they may as well do something that contributes not only their work, but also in a way, anti-piracy...

I would support homebrew any day of the week over piracy!!!!

*EDIT* developers of phone roms on XDA see donations daily, I see no reason why modern day console hacking cannot achieve the same results! In XDA's environment, the public supports and donates for their work. This may also have to deal with ongoing weekly updates though...

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think its a shame this thread is getting derailed by off topic , and I KNOW better posts. Its not a pissing contest.

So, where does the three core vWii development stand as of now? I've been trying to follow the thread, but so far there really hasn't been any breakthroughs. have there?

sven42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
We did that for the ps3. Remember what happened there besides that lawsuit?
Close to no homebrew at all, mostly just a few hundred different "custom firmware" (fuck that term btw., they patched a few stupid bytes. that's not custom firmware.) that all enabled piracy but had different themes.
I do not want my name associated with that crap. That's why we don't "just share what we have found".
Also, helping != sharing everything we have. A few of us are posting here and offering some hints here and there, aren't we?

It's not about legalities. It's about not wanting our name associated with people who just want to steal some games to have an insanely huge collection they won't play anyway. I don't care if they do that since I'm not associated with Nintendo, but what I do care about is that they do not use my work to do that and that my (real!) name gets associated with people like that.

Their statement kinda reads as a disclosure that basically states they worked their asses off, for no benefit or interest from the community...

What I think they do not realize, is that there is a high level of interest, but nobody chimed in because nobody is on their level or has the tools to even try to be on their level. They took that as lack of interest, when in fact it was people that had no considerable ideas to further the project and kept silent rather than spamming their thread...
And what you do not seem to realize is that even if we had released everything there would be no one working on a homebrew environment. It would be PS3 all over again.
And again: The work required to port Linux to the Espresso will have to be done anyway. It's the very first step towards a homebrew SDK. And we just do not have the time and motivation to do that, which is why we made that blog post. So if there is anyone who is interested in and capable of making homebrew a reality, *this* is his or her chance to work on that.
If, and as far as I can tell that's a really big IF, someone stepped up and made a working linux port for the vwii we would possibly reconsider sharing more information to also run this in WiiU mode.

But at the same time, what do they gain from doing this??? Well in the olden hacker days, it was respect and it also happened to be your hobby. It was never for profit or interest, it was what you loved to do, and to see what you could do...
You do realize that "[Doing what you] loved to do" is pretty strongly correlated with "Interest and Motivation"?

goembario

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The funny thing is, is that people who want to create something for wii u or want to make homebrew for it, just can't code or don't know how to start unless they would know what steps they need to do or don't have enough experience yet.
Though people who may have the all the skills, aren't interesting or not showing up yet.
But yeah I also agree with Marcan that he wants people who want to make homebrew, start learning themselves how or what to do AND then they may get more support from f0f. ( with already some tips here and there)
Otherwise it's indeed like ps3 like sven42 said.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We did that for the ps3. Remember what happened there besides that lawsuit?
Close to no homebrew at all, mostly just a few hundred different "custom firmware" (fuck that term btw., they patched a few stupid bytes. that's not custom firmware.) that all enabled piracy but had different themes.
I do not want my name associated with that crap. That's why we don't "just share what we have found".
Also, helping != sharing everything we have. A few of us are posting here and offering some hints here and there, aren't we?

It's not about legalities. It's about not wanting our name associated with people who just want to steal some games to have an insanely huge collection they won't play anyway. I don't care if they do that since I'm not associated with Nintendo, but what I do care about is that they do not use my work to do that and that my (real!) name gets associated with people like that.

And what you do not seem to realize is that even if we had released everything there would be no one working on a homebrew environment. It would be PS3 all over again.
And again: The work required to port Linux to the Espresso will have to be done anyway. It's the very first step towards a homebrew SDK. And we just do not have the time and motivation to do that, which is why we made that blog post. So if there is anyone who is interested in and capable of making homebrew a reality, *this* is his or her chance to work on that.
If, and as far as I can tell that's a really big IF, someone stepped up and made a working linux port for the vwii we would possibly reconsider sharing more information to also run this in WiiU mode.

You do realize that "[Doing what you] loved to do" is pretty strongly correlated with "Interest and Motivation"?
Form coherent sentences; I cannot understand your writing. Please don't share your thoughts until you learn to help people who PM you to privately ask a few questions. We need bootmii to work for vWii is something we need. "It is a wall" means an obstacle to get around/through/over. Is this too complicated to comprehend? With this available there could be other options for Linux aside from a GC version that is limited. Why not take the 360 approach and release ways to recover, get keys needed, and have a hacked stock dash with auto-update disabled? Those are simple thoughts to follow Sven. I sent a PM somebody who presents as an "Expert."

--Is this difficult to read? Is this incoherent?

Quincy

Your own personal guitarist :3
Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Okay, for everyone that's helping here, forget everything, complete step by step start over. First thing up, seeing that nobody here has experience in Wii developement (including myself) is figuring how to start 1-200, 1-201. Bootmii isn't needed at all, if you read on Fail0verflow, we could just use AHBPROT from HBC as well.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    B @ btjunior: i love sigma meals, skibidi slicers!!