Hardware Cloning microSD to larger microSD

SephirothPlayer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
How can I clone microSD 128GB to microSD 400GB and re-ajust re-size extend partion size to use full 400GB instead of making partition of 128GB on 400GB card?

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
How can I clone microSD 128GB to microSD 400GB and re-ajust re-size extend partion size to use full 400GB instead of making partition of 128GB on 400GB card?

Depends on the OS and filesystem I guess...

Are you using multiple partitions? are you using Linux or Android?
Is it just Switch content?

If you are not using any alternative OSes and you don't have multiple partitions then you don't need to clone the SD card. It's enough to format it and then drag&drop the files over.
I did that multiple times when upgrading larger microSD cards.

There are different tools to use for increasing partition size, but you should know that the filesystem type it is.

If it's linux partition I think you could boot into linux and enlargen the partition from there.

For Android I think TWRP will allow partition resizing.

It's always a good idea to explain what your setup looks like before asking questions like this.
Then you can get a better answer

Last edited by DaniPoo,

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
I use PC with Windows and this is microSD card (exFAT file system) with SX OS used only on Switch Lite with SX chip and SX OS.

So why do you want to clone and resize? Couldn't you just copy over the files to the new microsdcard?
I don't own a Switch Lite with that setup so I'm not sure how it works.

SephirothPlayer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Not sure if it will work correctly. Not sure if SX OS does not have some hidden/shadow partitions/files (or how do you call it), etc. So I wanted to do this to be extra sure. I thought it should be easy. Turned out not. But I don't understand and don't know why?

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Not sure if it will work correctly. Not sure if SX OS does not have some hidden/shadow partitions/files (or how do you call it), etc. So I wanted to do this to be extra sure. I thought it should be easy. Turned out not. But I don't understand and don't know why?

then, Why not just try to copy over the files? Either it works or it doesn't, I doubt SX OS does anything like that with your MicroSD card, feels like it shouldn't because there is no need for it..

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing that might be hidden is the emu Nand stuff - but I don't know if on the Switch it's handled with partitions like on the 3DS.

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But why do you want to extend anything? Format the card as FAT32 or exFAT and copy all your files from your 128GB card over to it.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
But why do you want to extend anything? Format the card as FAT32 or exFAT and copy all your files from your 128GB card over to it.

In case there are multiple partitions and you clone the SD card then the partitions would have to be re-sized in order to take advatage of the extra storage space. If there are additional partitions then you could just copy over the files and it will work fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxR2jow50Bs