Hacking Clonezilla for PS3 Internal HD

democracy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you use clonezilla to create an image and restore said image on a larger disk? What files would need to be edited after restoration? I guess the trick would be to fool the ps3 into thinking it was still talking to the old hdd? What files need to be edited?

Last edited by democracy,

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think the PS3 can partially format/encrypt just the additional part of the HDD that was added in comparison to the old one.
But I don't have CFW (yet hopefully) so I don't know for sure, but also Wii U doesn't support this officially and there are also no hacks that could allow this.
The problem is that backing up the HDD via the official utility and then restoring it can be a bit risky, I lost my installed data because some part of the many 4GB files created by the backup tool were damaged, so maybe back your install data and saves up via FTP and then copy them over after formatting your new HDD?

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
afaik, as soon as you switch hdd's it will want to wipe it. Youre best bet is to back up your data and restore it.
You would need a external hdd to back it up and then just go to Navigate to Settings > System Settings > Backup Utility.
Any other way will result in the ps3 wanting to wipe it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I don't think the PS3 can partially format/encrypt just the additional part of the HDD that was added in comparison to the old one.
But I don't have CFW (yet hopefully) so I don't know for sure, but also Wii U doesn't support this officially and there are also no hacks that could allow this.
The problem is that backing up the HDD via the official utility and then restoring it can be a bit risky, I lost my installed data because some part of the many 4GB files created by the backup tool were damaged, so maybe back your install data and saves up via FTP and then copy them over after formatting your new HDD?
It can be risky? I haven't messed with my ps3 in a long time and I never heard of that issue. Ive only backed up my data once and that was to move to a 1tb hdd from the 250 gb one that game with my slim. Maybe it would be a good idea for him to back up everything multiple times just to make sure?

Reactions: democracy

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well you can always backup everything from the old drive to an external source. Wouldn't recommend using an imaging tool.

For the most basic backup use the XMB to backup all game saves and virtual memory cards etc. Don't use it to backup your games and apps do so manually by using multiman to dump your game folder. Just copy all of the hdd0/game/ folder and any folders containing .ISO or folder rips of games or any roms you installed to your external USB Device or FTP (ftp will take longer but won't run into any issues with split files so you won't have to use multiman to restore the games. Though multiman will absolutely split and rejoin said files automatically.) Once you've backed up all your games you need to dump your game licenses. Once this has been done you can simply install the new drive. Once the drive is installed you should reinstall and reconfigure your CFW though the system will probably make you do so during the format of the new drive anyways.... once done install multiman through the package installer (or enable webman with FTP) and copy your files back using the same method you dumped them. Once the game folder is restored reboot your system into recovery and choose rebuild database. Once done activate your games using reactPSN and restore all your game saves through the XMB. This is the method I've always used for backup purposes as it gives you a deserted dump of your PSN games and apps to hold onto as well as a copy of all the game licenses so they can be reactivated (if need be) at anytime.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
In theory yes, you can do that. You can use "dd" in Clonezilla, or hell any Linux would do it too. It might work, it might not since I don't now if the PS3 got any checks in place.
Clonezilla will choose the best option mostly by itself.

But there are better ways if I remember correctly to do a HDD upgrade.

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The best way to upgrade us the method I mentioned above. Clean easy and simple. (With rebugs save data owner patch this backup method will also work to transfer from one PS3 to another)

BTW I use this method as I always tend to have trouble with the official backup methods (trouble that this easily gets around.) And like I said there are some benefits to this backup method. It can be restored even on a different PS3 and you won't loose any games or saves.

Last edited by mikey420,

DMCbr

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The best way to upgrade us the method I mentioned above. Clean easy and simple. (With rebugs save data owner patch this backup method will also work to transfer from one PS3 to another)

BTW I use this method as I always tend to have trouble with the official backup methods (trouble that this easily gets around.) And like I said there are some benefits to this backup method. It can be restored even on a different PS3 and you won't loose any games or saves.

I dont know anything about this software you are talking about. is there any tutorial for this?
I want to upgrade my 500GB disc to a 1TB disc. But i have some accounts on my PS3 that allow me to play certain games, and i dont have the passwords for that accounts, so i cant lose the access these accounts give me to the games.
Once i updated my 120GB to this current 500GB disc using the PS3 backup tool, but i lost all this access of this accounts (and i paid money for this access). I dont want to lose again because it is a lot of games that i bought this way. People sell this "shared" accounts for cheap, but you can only use the password for a few hours.
Will this method of yours, works for my case?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.