Cleaning CTRNand

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Samwix, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Samwix
    OP

Samwix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 25, 2014
    France
    Hi,

I want to install A9LH but do I have to install these 3 cias (O3DS NATIVE.cia, O3DS AGB.cia and O3DS TWL.cia) on my SysNAND to clean up this one (9.2 downgraded to 4.5 by using GW Downgrade in the past) to avoid any problem with CTRNAND in the future?

Are there any risks?

Thanks!

Last edited by Samwix, Sep 18, 2016 - Reason: firmware.bin resolved but need to know that in order to install A9LH

2. LongTimeLurker

LongTimeLurker GBAtemp Regular

Aug 25, 2016
    Canada
    I don't believe you have to do anything special if following the new guide. There was an entry in the FAQ previously about if you run into issues, and had downgraded with Gateway in the past, but it has since been removed (or renamed).

There are always risks, but this guide tries to minimize them as much as possible. A great many people have had success following this guide. I haven't read a permabrick yet that was a result of following the guide.

Good luck!

Samwix likes this.
  3. Samwix
    OP

Dec 25, 2014
    France
    Thanks but 2.1.0 ctrtransfer flashes the CTRNand and according to AuroraWright, it would be in a messy state. That's what worries me the most.
    That entry about GW-downgraded 3DS was in the Plailect guide FAQ?

LongTimeLurker likes this.
  4. LongTimeLurker

Aug 25, 2016
    Canada
    Seems reasonable, I wish I had additional info.

Yes, the dead link can be found at the end of this entry.

5. Samwix
    OP

Dec 25, 2014
    France
    Thanks. I think I'll install the 3 cias.
    I need to know something: I wanna restore my EmuNAND (once A9LH will be installed). Will that be possible (does its CTRNAND is messy too)?

6. LongTimeLurker

Aug 25, 2016
    Canada
    Yes you should be able to do that. Restoring EmuNAND / RedNAND is referenced here.

Samwix likes this.
  7. Samwix
    OP

Dec 25, 2014
    France
    Yeah I already saw that entry but my EmuNAND is in a messy state, isn't it?

8. LongTimeLurker

Aug 25, 2016
    Canada
    Sorry, I'm not sure. I've sent a PM hoping someone else may be able to answer you :).

9. Samwix
    OP

Dec 25, 2014
    France
    I'll try to install them on my EmuNAND (I'll backup it before). Thank you very much :)

10. astronautlevel

astronautlevel But he's a guy

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    Yeah, you should be fine to do that. No reason it won't work.

11. LongTimeLurker

Aug 25, 2016
    Canada
    Could you provide me with more details / a resource on what exactly CTRNAND is and why it would/wouldn't cause any issues?

12. Samwix
    OP

Dec 25, 2014
    France
    You're talking about the EmuNand thing or the A9LH installation without cleaning SysNand?

13. astronautlevel

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    CTRNAND is a partition on the NAND of the 3ds, which contains stuff like tickets, the title database, and titles installed to NAND (such as the firmware titles). See here for more information: https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Flash_Filesystem#CTR_partition

The reason GW's downgrader makes the NAND "dirty" is because the end result is there are multiple firmware binaries in the folder where the firmware is stored on the NAND. This causes luma to read the oldest one, which causes an error due to incompatibilities in the versions.

Cleaning basically deletes the doubled firmware titles (NATIVE_FIRM, TWL_FIRM and AGB_FIRM) and installs only the right version. However, cleaning may not even be necessary anymore, thanks to v6.2.3 (https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases/tag/v6.2.3) which seems to fix launching these NANDs.

Note that when you do the CTRNAND transfer to 2.1, the 2.1 CTRNAND is clean.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

A9LH installation without cleaning any of your NANDs should be fine, as v6.2.3 seems to fix booting a messy NAND.

Samwix and LongTimeLurker like this.
  14. Samwix
    OP

Dec 25, 2014
    France
    Yes but a messy NAND may cause some problems during the 2.1.0 ctrtransfer, isn't it?

15. astronautlevel

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    No reason it should, as far as I know. The reason it's messy is because of the doubled firmware binaries (and other system titles), but those are overwritten during the transfer.

If you're worried about it, go through the cleaning steps first on your SysNAND.

Sev501 and LongTimeLurker like this.
  16. Samwix
    OP

Dec 25, 2014
    France
    According to the Plailect Guide troubleshooting, GW-downgraded 3DS could have a black screen after installing A9LH (8.)

Can I brick my SysNand by installing these cias?

17. astronautlevel

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    Number 8 is in regards to booting Luma with the issues I mentioned above, which should be fixed.

I've never cleaned a CTRNAND before (don't own a gateway) but as long as you follow the instructions exactly, you should be fine. It may be better to wait until after a9lh is installed though for brick protection.

18. Samwix
    OP

Dec 25, 2014
    France
    OK thanks, the n.8 has been edited.
    Did you ever downgrade a SysNand with GW Software?

19. proflayton123

proflayton123 悲しみ

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    DO NOT user GW A9LH method, stick to community method~

20. LongTimeLurker

Aug 25, 2016
    Canada
    Ah yes, forgot to mention that. The community version of a9lh is far superior (such as giving FIRM protection).

Samwix and proflayton123 like this.