Hacking Clean restore

moopas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hacked my wii a long time ago (roughly 1 year ago) and havn't used it much since then. There are several new games I would like to play using the Nintendo WFC, but I am afraid to connect my wii to the internet and update due to the old hack, plus me not having an anti-bricker (wasn't aware of one back then). I am also not sure if the hack is 100% installed correctly due to slightly vague details in the tutorial I followed back then, especially after reading all of the newer more precice tutorials and how certain things MUST be installed before others, or how different hacks pertain to different wiis, etc. The tutorial I followed back then did not state to create a NAND backup, which after reading a bit I think is the wii restore file? Anyways, my question here is simple...

Is there a way to clear out my wii and return it to factory settings so I may either play newer games or do a fresh hack? OR, is there a way to just do a fresh hack and clean out any possible mistakes I may have made?

I just want a fresh hack, with a fully updated wii. Thank you for any help anyone may offer, and I did a bit of searching before I posted this, but did not see any 100% clear answers to my question, so sorry if I skipped a topic and am reposting a similar question.

moopas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I did search the stickies about the NUS auto downloader and how to modify any wii below 4.2. I was just not clear if I HAD made any mistakes, would those guides fix them.

i.e I install a wrong IOSS, or system file during my old hack, would using the files from the NUS downloader install over my old wrongly installed files, add extra files, or what. When I rehack will any mistakes I previously made vanish?

As for installing HBC (HomeBrew Channel I assume) then updating SM(System menu?) to 4.3. Will that fix the wrongly installed previous files? I keep reading tutorials in excruciating detail that I MUST install certain files first, NO altering steps, etc. I'm just worried.

P.S. Thank you very much for the quick responses.

neotank19

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes installing new hacks will overwrite the old ones. Just follow the guides and you will be fine.

It's generally agreed that you don't want to try and wipe your wii clean if you just plan on rehacking it later.

dn_angel000

Phantom User
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well 4.3 is the strongest update that Nintendo released that removes any/all hacks done on the Wii (even removes earlier versions of the HBC except v0.7) So updating 2 4.3 is ur best bet 2 remove all hacks!! Just make sure u update ur HBC 2 v0.7 or u'll have 2 use either Smash Stack, Indiana PWNS, or MarioKart PWNS!

SM = System Menu
HBC = Homebrew Channel

bwillb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
neotank19 said:
Yes installing new hacks will overwrite the old ones. Just follow the guides and you will be fine.

It's generally agreed that you don't want to try and wipe your wii clean if you just plan on rehacking it later.
I'd say just consider it permanently hacked. you can install different hacks, but it will always be hacked. even if you delete everything and brick it, it still has hacked information on it.

To the OP though, hacks are perfectly fine on WFC as long as you don't use cheats online. just use the NUSAD to get your IOS files all up to date for the new games, get the latest and greatest hacks for the new features, make a nand backup with bootmii, and you're all set.

and do NOT update to 4.3 unless you like causing yourself pain, in which case go right ahead. its harder to hack and there is absolutely no benefit for upgrading to 4.3. follow the guide for going to 4.1 or 4.2.

moopas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, this sounds very promising, so all that hype about following exact instruction is mainly so you don't have to do it all over again? Also, I thought there was something about bricking your wii from hacking then updating, that's why I was so cautious. But according to dn_angel000 if I just system update to 4.3, my system won't brick and all abnormal files/system changes will be gone?

neotank19

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you update to 4.3 you lose the bannerbomb hack which is very easy to use. The 4.3 hacks require you to own games like SSBB or lego indiana jones. Also they only work on certian wiis.

cup9192

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, what they're telling you is "don't update via nintendo to 4.3!"

Reinstall the hacks, follow the guide to upgrade to 4.1 or 4.2, whatever - but leave the official update to 4.3 alone. How hard it this, really?

moopas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, I am sorry for all this noobness of me... I thought I did enough research, but clearly not... Thank you guys for putting up with this.

Getting this clear, from what I have learned here...

My Wii is hacked, and now forever will be. Even if I installed the wrong IOS file or even more than one (if that's possible) the NUSAD will download the correct one. So I just use the NUSAD, then follow one of the tutorials step for step (including installing HBC/Bootmii/etc.), and I will be good?

i.e I have an old hack with an old HBC, no anti-brick protection, no backup loader, and an old WAD loader... if I use NUSAD and follow the tutorials, I will have new HBC, Brick protection, able to play newest games,+ extras. And old HBC channel will be gone, wii will be up to date, and all will be dandy... at least according to the info here.

NOW, Last question. When I update to 4.2... I system update? And do I update before or after the hack?

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
moopas said:
OK, this sounds very promising, so all that hype about following exact instruction is mainly so you don't have to do it all over again? Also, I thought there was something about bricking your wii from hacking then updating, that's why I was so cautious. But according to dn_angel000 if I just system update to 4.3, my system won't brick and all abnormal files/system changes will be gone?
yes that is entirely true but before you do that upgrade homebrew channel to .7 everything will be exactly as nintendo intended it and you have a way to rehack your wii if you ever wanted.
upgrade homebrew channel update wii two steps in that order simple

moopas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, my problems are solved, and I will try it soon as I get home. Also, if system updating doesn't brick the wii, what does? This is just a side question, no need to answer it if you dont want to, I'm sure, I could find it via the "search" function, just quicker this way if nobody minds.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
There's a nice list for that on this linky.
smile.gif

moopas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's rather helpful, thank you. The guide says to never internet update my system, but I take it in my case, if I use the nintendo update through my wii LAN connection, I'll be fine?

dn_angel000

Phantom User
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure u make a NAND backup after updating and b4 hacking (Make sure u have BootMii as Boot2!) I usually install the HBC only then perform a NAND backup!

Not sure about LAN I only do a Wireless update though.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
moopas said:
That's rather helpful, thank you. The guide says to never internet update my system, but I take it in my case, if I use the nintendo update through my wii LAN connection, I'll be fine?
The list is mostly things that could brick your wii. And online means online. It makes no difference if it's through a LAN connection or a wireless connection.

The risk of bricking lies in the fact that the system menu uses a different IOS with each upgrade. Using the official upgrade should be fine*, as it installs both the new IOS and the 'new' system menu which uses it. There are some hacking solutions that also have online update solutions. Those are the dangerous ones, because though they worked fine when they were released, they become bricking tools once a new update arrives (those update the current IOS to the latest version and the system menu, but have no way of knowing what the new IOS number is that the system menu uses. As such, you'll end up with a brick because running the new system menu will try to open an IOS that isn't there.

Oh, and I'd make a bootmii backup BEFORE trying to update. Well...if you can install it as boot2, that is (if you can only install it as cIOS, it needs priiloader to start if an emergency occurs...and priiloader is one of the things that is removed with an official update).

*aside from the fact that it searches and removes homebrew, of course (I've heard the latest HBC version isn't affected by the official 4.3 update, but haven't tried it for myself)

MLRX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wever said:
*aside from the fact that it searches and removes homebrew, of course (I've heard the latest HBC version isn't affected by the official 4.3 update, but haven't tried it for myself)
HBC 1.0.7 has random symbols for its ID so its not possible (for now) for nintendo to remove HBC 1.0.7

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: or well somewhat