Classic Commodore 64 lives again

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by kicknhorse, Apr 7, 2011.

Apr 7, 2011
  1. kicknhorse
    OP

Member kicknhorse GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Here we go

For all you retro fans, or those who never got to own one, you can pretend!

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12997245

One more bit of intersting news on the way...

2. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Ewww. It's that horrible C64x CommodoreUSA did, trying to cash on hardcore Commodore fans.

This entire crap should not even exist. We need a C64 reimplemented in FPGA with SD support, internal scandoubler, more RAM and lots of awesomeness, not this crap with a skinned Linux on it.

CommodoreUSA != Commodore.

3. Retroplay

Newcomer Retroplay Member

Denmark
    I would never trade in my C64 (yes, I still have a C64 [​IMG]) for this abomination which have nothing to do with a C64 except that it (almost) looks like one.

Boooooooh.

4. camurso_

Member camurso_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Portugal
    BTW: where the fuck is that new Spectrum that was going to be released by Elite?

5. Buleste

Member Buleste Old Fart

United Kingdom
    That design for a PC has been around for 2 years and never comes to much and talk about it resurfaces every 6 months or so. Last time was August last year so the newly streamlined BBC is about 6 months too late. http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/26/commodo...pc-in-a-replic/

I also still have a C64 (mines the c not the original breadbin) and I still use it and love it to death.

6. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    $595?! [​IMG]

and how the fuck are they gonna cram a GOOD pc into that tiny little shell good luck playing crysis on that thing! [​IMG]

7. raulpica

Italy
    Obviously it is NOT a good PC, since it's a just miniITX case, with a motherboard in it which is powered by an Atom + nVidia ION.

I feel bad for whoever will spend money on that thing.

8. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    What happened to Commodore Gaming? You know, the Commodore that made high-end PCs back in 2007?

9. raulpica

Italy
    Still there: http://www.commodoregaming.com/

I honestly dunno how CommodoreUSA got the the green light for name usage. The name "Commodore" is still split between lots of enterprises.

10. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    +1

Commodore should stop this already, they did something with the brand last year or two and that was overpriced shitness too.

11. Cloak519

Member Cloak519 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

My Dad showed me this earlier on, and I have to say, I bloody want one. That thing looks amazing lol.

12. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Not really. If you go to the actual home page of the Commodore Gaming website, there's no mention of PCs. Only Wii VC and iPhone. I was wondering, what happened to their PCs?

13. raulpica

Italy
    Well, I guess their PC venture didn't went well, so they're just focusing on cashing on the emulated games [​IMG]

14. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    $600 for a nettop, just because it's stuffed into a C64 shell? I don't know how much the shell of the C64 costs (or if you'd actually need to customize the build to fit it into the case), but you could build a machine with those specs (sans case) for less than $300, I'm sure.

It comes preloaded with Ubuntu, too; While I do appreciate the love for Linux operating systems, if I'm paying that price I ought to at least get a Windows license thrown in.

15. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    It's just a regular PC in a Commodore 64 case.

I should purchase an actual Commodore 64. I don't have enough money, though.

16. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    I'd like to say I could build a working machine from the parts mentioned on the C64x webpage, but there's absolutely no mention of an actual hard drive being included with the thing. I'm assuming it's probably a 320GB drive, but I went and put together a machine with everything they listed for $298 in parts. You can pick up an old C64 to pull apart for $60-$80 on eBay, assuming you go with Buy It Now instead of waiting patiently for a good deal. Even if you might need extra parts to mod the case or adapt the keyboard, I can't imagine paying more than $400 to put this machine together. All you'd be missing is the 'Commodore OS 1.0', which is probably nothing more than a Linux kernel with a command to boot directly to a C64 emulator.

17. Kamiyama

Member Kamiyama GBAtemp Fan

Finland
    I've still two Commodore 64s. Other one is brand "new" (unused) in the box.

18. KidIce

Member KidIce Smart Ass

United States
    A shitty PC in a C=64 case w/ an emulator I can down load for free for $600?!? Why is no one excited about this?!?

Commodore USA is laughable at best and just trying to cash in on nostalgia for the brand. A real Commodore fan would be too knowledgeable to ever touch this, and anyone else wouldn't have a clue as to why they should buy it or even remember it. Who the hell do they think they are going to cash in on?

Buy a Commodore One or a Cat Weasel or hit up some thrift stores and garage sales instead... And that's assuming you want something more authentic than an emulator on your current PC.

Albatross.

Does anyone know where I can get some SID chips?

19. m_babble

Member m_babble The Bad Boy of Good Behavior

United States
    Forbidden Forest used to scare me as a kid!
    Same with the Friday the 13th game!

20. Saturnplanet5

Member Saturnplanet5 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    I think it would be ok. The reasoning is that we would have a universal spec system that practically any one could program. Plus we wold have access to the GPU without a direct X leash. It looks to me to be a programmable console. Sure the case mod is kinda retro but I think that's just for marketing purposes. If it becomes popular it could be quite good. Even just as a barebones hobby PC. I don't really think it is supposed to rival any custom built PC at all and the Commodore OS might be ok.