Hardware Class 4 vs Class 10 Micro SD for 3ds

jimskeet2002

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hi guys
Is there a noticeable difference between using class 4 vs class 10 micro sd for the 3ds? I have a 4gb class 10 and a 16gb class 4 and I don't know which one to use for my .cia etc on my 3ds. What do you think?

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shouldn't matter all too much, read wise. You'll just be able to write to a class 10 card faster than a class 4 card.

jimskeet2002

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
About the write part, what operations does the 3ds do that require write on the sd card? (besides taking photos, recording videos and downloading stuff from eshop) Will I see any difference on loading of games or exiting games etc?

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About the write part, what operations does the 3ds do that require write on the sd card? (besides taking photos, recording videos and downloading stuff from eshop) Will I see any difference on loading of games or exiting games etc?

I don't think there is anything that would require anything other than a standard SD card for normal operations like taking pictures, recording video, and save games. You shouldn't have to worry about speed in that regard. All that will really matter is the capacity for you to fit all of your stuff. With that being said, I think 4 GB is far too small for anything besides use in the SD card slot, and even then, you might have trouble fitting all of your CIA's and other content into it.

jimskeet2002

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Also should I format my 16gb that goes into the 3ds, not the gateway card, as exfat or fat 32?? I don't think I will place more than 4gb cia in it

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I should choose the class 4 16gb one for my cia in the 3ds?

Also should I format my 16gb that goes into the 3ds, not the gateway card, as exfat or fat 32?? I don't think I will place more than 4gb cia in it

CIA files are not as big as regular .3ds files, so the bigger card should go into the Gateway, although if you plan on installing a lot of CIAs rather than playing ROMs, then yes, go ahead and put that into your 3DS. Most CIAs are usually under 2GB, and since the 3DS formats the card to FAT32 by default, go with FAT32.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use a Class 10 myself. I copy music to it a lot, so it cuts down on that time by quite a bit. I also noticed when I upgraded from Class 4 to Class 10, the initial boot time of the 3DS seemed to shave off a few seconds (from the time you press the power button to when the 3DS actually lets you start up software). Class doesn't necissarily indicate read speed, but they do tend to have a bit faster read speeds on higher classes. It wasn't a big enough upgrade for me to care that much, though. I just got it because I found it insanely cheap.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use a Class 10 myself. I copy music to it a lot, so it cuts down on that time by quite a bit. I also noticed when I upgraded from Class 4 to Class 10, the initial boot time of the 3DS seemed to shave off a few seconds (from the time you press the power button to when the 3DS actually lets you start up software). Class doesn't necissarily indicate read speed, but they do tend to have a bit faster read speeds on higher classes. It wasn't a big enough upgrade for me to care that much, though. I just got it because I found it insanely cheap.

Right. Class 10 cards nowadays aren't that much more expensive, there really isn't any reason to buy class 4 anymore.

jimskeet2002

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Yeah I know. I just have a 16gb class4 lying around and I wanted to know if I should just use this or buy a new one...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-